kicked out of Canada

Gary_Yngve

The unbelievable happened. We pulled into the border crossing on the way to Penticton, with half of our car having passports and the other half having drivers licenses and unofficial photocopies of birth certificates. They wouldn't let us in. The border crossing dude was extremely rude and disrespectful, despite the fact that we were being polite. We've all gotten into Canada countless times before, even in the past month, but this time we got screwed. We then tried the crossing fifteen miles away in Nighthawk, and the border guard yelled at us for shopping for a crossing (the other place warned them) and threatened to have us banned from Canada for ten years. What the fuck?

We managed to salvage the weekend with some cragging at Leavenworth, but we missed out with hooking up with the other UW car and the VOC folk in Skaha.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's still BS. I can only assume they were trying to make an example of you or that border guard was in an extremely bad mood and wanted to take it out on someone.

Sucks. We should nuke Canada, it's the only appropriate response. I'm going to email my congresswoman right now!

PFFFTTTT!!!

No Jeffski. Most Americans do just fine going to/from Canuckaland with just a DL (even after 911). "Well, remember to bring that birth certificate NEXT time or we might not let you in/out...." This was a freak job by some border guard who's girlfriend prolly just left him or sumfin.

An asshole is an asshole, Canadian or American.

What's a "certified" copy anyway? Notarized? And exactly how hard is it for a Canadian to get into the US?

If they don't allow you back in, do you have to live in Blaine the rest of your life? Is that why that town exists? hellno3d.gif

jefffski said:

do you have ANY idea how hard it is for us canadians to go to your country? if you want to visit, we'd be glad to have you, but you must follow the instructions. i'm surprised they allowed you BACK into the US without official documents. count yourselves lucky.

We had an official document. A document from Canada saying they turned our asses around.

Alpinfox said:

PFFFTTTT!!!

No Jeffski. Most Americans do just fine going to/from Canuckaland with just a DL (even after 911). "Well, remember to bring that birth certificate NEXT time or we might not let you in/out...." This was a freak job by some border guard who's girlfriend prolly just left him or sumfin.

I got turned away at the US border last summer because I only had a DL, which is essentially all that Gary had. thumbs_down.gif

snoboy said:

Alpinfox said:

PFFFTTTT!!!

I got turned away at the US border last summer because I only had a DL, which is essentially all that Gary had. thumbs_down.gif

Not to nitpick, but I had my passport. Two of the other folks in the car just had DL and photocopy of birth certificate*. We were all a bunch of white, born-in-America college students. Our van was full of climbing gear. We didn't look like a bunch of terrorists or drug traffickers (not that anyone smuggles pot into Canada...).

*They had both used that combination at least a dozen times this past summer... going to Selkirks, Bugs, Coast, coming back from Alaska....

I've had several experiences with rude,offensive Canadian border guards.Many of them are extremely conservative,and if you appear to be the least bit "counter-culture",there are some who will totally overreact.I wear a small turquoise post in my left ear,(And no,I do not have long hair)and the first time I went through the border wearing it(I'd forgotten to take it out)we were detained for several hours while our car and everything in it were searched for drugs--all packs and containers dumped out,everything opened-everything.As the search progressed and nothing was found,the agent became even more angry and abusive.Finally we were allowed to continue when an older,more civil agent took the rude(and much younger) one aside and after an brief and evidently very tense discussion the older man told us we were free to go.Almost 30 years ago,I was hitching up to BC and bought a bus ticket to go through the crossing.When the agents boarded the bus they were unbelievably hostile,and again,very young.As one agent walked up the aisle,he saw an old woman sitting there,innocently smiling,and shouted at her to wipe the smile off her face;she started crying,and when a couple of other passengers started to object they were absolutely screamed at to SHUT UP if they didn't want to be immediately arrested.Back in these days I did have long hair,and was traveling with a large backpack;I was detained,as was the entire bus,my pack was taken out of the baggage compartment,and in the station I was strip-searched,and my pack and all its contents completely searched; I was finally allowed to proceed into Canada because my ID was all in order,I was going to visit friends who were respectable Canadian citizens,and I had enough money to satisfy the guards that I would not become a derelict ward of the crown in the 3 weeks of my intended stay.All of this was done in the most icy,hostile manner possible.Since then,there have been other occasional instances,though nothing quite as unpleasant as those two.

In their defense,border guards are govt.civil servants who don't make very much money,have a huge responsibilty,and are ridden very hard by the bureacrats above them.They do have to deal with all kinds of truly criminal kinds of characters,are pretty much stuck in their little spot at the border watching an endless stream of American affluence parade before their eyes,and it doesn't take long for them to get really sour.Of course,they knew what the job was when they took it. wink.gif