Grivel Air Tech Racing axes

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Terminal_Gravity said:

Yeah it's a good deal for the axe (and it's a good axe)...but it's too bad that the deeply discounted price is because of an illeagal sale, dumping stock by an old wholesaler that ended up fucking M. Twight and his partner so bad that they can barely feed their families. frown.gif true story

Illegal sale? confused.gif

Check that?

My understanding from people in the industry and from people at Mammut-Europe is that Mammut purchased Climb High with the eventual goal of it serving as the North American distributor for all Mammut products.

Because Mammut makes and sells its own line of hardware in Europe (actually they have someone else make it and then stamp the Mammut name on it) and because Grivel is a major competitor, they could not continue to carry Grivel. Grivel was also not interested in having their primary competitor distribute their product in the states when Mammut is going to make a push into the North American market. This is simply an evolution of the business and neither Grivel nor Mammut were interested in working with each other. Would you trust your distribution to your competitor?

The stock “on hand” was purchased in the sale and a right of exhaustion was likely given. This is typical in the business. Otherwise you’d be buying stock that you can’t sell. That is why Climb High is blowing out the old stock.

I am aware of this through some business connections in Europe and some sponsored climbers that I know and work with (on the business side)

Grivel now has a new NA distributor and continues to do business. Although I have no idea what that arragment is, or who it is with.

It is possible that some athletes and or other sponsored programs were not picked up by the new owners, Mammut, or that the new Grivel distributor was not interested in picking them up. There is however, nothing illegal about it. shocked.gif

Illegal sale? confused.gif

If you know something I don't, fill me in. confused.gif

wave.gif

Rodchester,

You are substantialy correct, however there are a couple of points that I can fill in.

First, Marc Twight's affiliation with Grivel ( in this case) has nothing to do with being a sponsored athlete. He acctually runs and is personnally responsible for Grivel NA. Yes, even climbers like him have to have day jobs some times. I thought that was common knowledge.

Secondly, even though no laws may have been broken, it is my understanding that, part of the deal climb high made included a contractual obligation to either sell the Grivel stock back or at a discount to Grivel NA (Twight) They didn't. They dumbed the stock without regard to the contract in a move designed to compromise Grivel NA and hopefully break the current flow of Grivel products into the US.

Yes, it is "just business", but when a large company purposely thumbs their nose at a contract because they know some little guys can't afford to fight back, it's ugly. thumbs_down.gif

The ability to exhaust exiting stock is very common place in these types of purchase and sale agreements. Otherwise the deals wouldn't go through. This is not just the outdoor industry, but most all industries that produce a product.

Sorry to hear about Twight getting the raw end of the deal, but its not illegal. While the deal may screw some, it benefits others . . .even some of the small guys.

Also, the stock will eventually be liqudated, and Twight, assuming his relationship with Grivel NA continues, will be back in business. thumbs_up.gif It just sucks to hang on in the meantime. frown.gif

wave.gif