5 reasons to tie in...

EWolfe

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I learned to tie the bowline while sailing as well and then started climbing and wondered why those stupid sailors ever used the bowline to tie in. I heard several stories of fathers losing sons, husbands losing wives, friends losing dogs, over the side in a storm cause of a failed bowline. They are easy to mis tie and they work themselves lose unless you tend them regularly. I'll never use one in the mountains. But I've never learned to tie the double either.

AlpineK said:

catbirdseat said:

Bowline not as strong as figure eight and does not absorb energy like an eight.

I think you need to study your knots a little more CBS. You always seem to come up with bad info; like saying a clove hitch isn't very strong, etc.

As an example: I drop chunks of wood that are heavier than most people on rope that is much more static than rock climbing rope, and the clove hitch is the knot of choice for a tie off knot. I've never had a c hitch fail; however from one of your posts a while back you said the knot was not very strong. wazzup.gif

Show me where I said a clove hitch is not a good not for tying in. There's nothing wrong with it (although John Long often uses figure eight loops in the photos in Climbing Anchors). They can slip some, which may in fact be a good thing.

Winter said:

I learned to tie the bowline while sailing as well and then started climbing and wondered why those stupid sailors ever used the bowline to tie in. I heard several stories of fathers losing sons, husbands losing wives, friends losing dogs, over the side in a storm cause of a failed bowline. They are easy to mis tie and they work themselves lose unless you tend them regularly. I'll never use one in the mountains. But I've never learned to tie the double either.

If you let the clew of your jib flog for any length of time, there's a chance that the bowline can come untied. Since spinnakers often are flogged during setting and taking down, I switch from the bowline to the inside clove hitch. It never comes untied and is easy to untie. It is also strong.

WARNING: Old skewl wanker weighing in...

I have always used a doule bowline with the Yos finish, and *it has never come untied* in over 15 years of using it. The rewoven 8 gets too bound up to untie easily after climbing, so I don't intend ever to use it unless some credible info crops up which casts serious dispersions upon the DB.

Secondly, I learned the DB while caving, before I started climbing and waaay long before I started sailing. The bowline is one knot which cavers learn can save their very ass cuz it's the one knot that can hold body weight in a raise and *can be tied with one hand*, as would an injured caver.

Sailors experience the bowline coming undone *because you don't finish a bowline* as a matter of standard practice on a sailboat. SO you all are talking apples and oranges when comparing bowlines for use in sailing v. climbing.

And lastly, a double looped 8 will take less tightening on the knot because teh force in a fall is applied more to teh double looping around teh harness. Remember your "wrap three, pull two" mantra from rigging for rescue techniques?

QED.

catbirdseat said:

Show me where I said a clove hitch is not a good not for tying in. There's nothing wrong with it (although John Long often uses.....

I'll say it. A clove hitch is not a good knot for tying in with. In fact, it would be quite difficult to tie in with. I love it for lots of other reasons, but not for tying in.

(I do know that's not what you really meant to say...just couldn't resist. grin.gif)

I think he means using it to set up an anchor system using the rope. a clove hitch would be poor choice to tie in with for a number of reasons. First off, because it's a hitch.

Who cares? Tie in with what you want, it's your life. Just don't do something just 'cause. Get some real data.

sobo said:

I have always used a doule bowline with the Yos finish, and *it has never come untied* in over 15 years of using it. The rewoven 8 gets too bound up to untie easily after climbing, so I don't intend ever to use it unless some credible info crops up which casts serious dispersions upon the DB.

Secondly, I learned the DB while caving, before I started climbing and waaay long before I started sailing. The bowline is one knot which cavers learn can save their very ass cuz it's the one knot that can hold body weight in a raise and *can be tied with one hand*, as would an injured caver.

Sailors experience the bowline coming undone *because you don't finish a bowline* as a matter of standard practice on a sailboat. SO you all are talking apples and oranges when comparing bowlines for use in sailing v. climbing.

And lastly, a double looped 8 will take less tightening on the knot because teh force in a fall is applied more to teh double looping around teh harness. Remember your "wrap three, pull two" mantra from rigging for rescue techniques?

QED.

So why the hell don't sailors finish a bowline? I learned it for a number of reasons and learned to tie it with one hand. But nobody EVER told me to finish a bowline when I was tying into a harness on deck. madgo_ron.gif

mtngrrrl said:

Is it groundhog day? snaf.gif Yep, figger-8 for me. You bowline folks must be in the Mountaineers. blush.gif

Actually the mountie was arguing for the figger-8 in typical mountie fashion (the bowline isn't as STRONG!, ooooh).

9mm rope isn't as strong as 10.5 either.

I like it when people argue over nerdy stuff like they're favorite knots, or they're favorite brand of cams. hahaha.gif

catbirdseat said:

Show me where I said a clove hitch is not a good not for tying in. There's nothing wrong with it (although John Long often uses figure eight loops in the photos in Climbing Anchors). They can slip some, which may in fact be a good thing.

The discussion of clove hitches wasn't related to tying into a rope. You just claimed it was a weak knot.

MisterE said:

Yeah, the mounties would never endorse a "dangerous" knot like the bowline.

Plus, they would never want to get confused with the sailors that are buggerluggin' 'em. hahaha.gif

Yeah to that, and what would a proper buggerin' be without wearing a fashionably correct figger-8 about one's harness?

Winter said:

sobo said:

QED.

So why the hell don't sailors finish a bowline? I learned it for a number of reasons and learned to tie it with one hand. But nobody EVER told me to finish a bowline when I was tying into a harness on deck. madgo_ron.gif

Sailors don't finish a bowline for one major reason: You don't need to. If it comes undone, you turn into the wind, grab the clew, and retie it. Yah, you lose time (if you're racing), but for whatever reason, you just don't back them up. It's not like you're going to die if it comes undone, unlike while climbing...

And as far as tying in on deck, just use an SOSuspenders instead of roping in. No sense getting tea-bagged (non-sexual version) by being all wired into the boat. Just go over teh side, get wet, and POP! You're saved!

I use clove hitches, figger eights, bowlines and stuff all the time to tie in.

I never make a technical decision about which based on any logic other than what I feel I want to use at a given time.

I believe all these knots are fine and that I am more suspect of an anchor failure than a knot breakage most of the time.

5 Reasons to tie in for me:

You can fall off if you get lazy.

The leader can fall and stress an anchor.

Because an anchor exists.

To rappell.

To solo rope climb.

wave.gif