allthumbs

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

klenke said:

scrambler said:

This whole argument about how to solve the traffic problem reminds me... ...may arrive involuntarily.

Damn, scrambler, putting things that way, we all might as well kill ourselves now.

hellno3d.gif

I wish you would. I hate you and scrambler. You're both hermaphrodites.

Oh yeah, trask, well you're a troglodyte and a....

ass airhead birdbrain buffoon

buffo boob boor bozo bonehead blockhead blunderer blunderbuss bugger

bumpkin hick halfwit hayseed hobbyhorse horse's ass harlequin

hardhead hammerhead loggerhead lunkhead lurdane lunatic loony looby

lout lowbrow laughingstock oaf oddity odd ball odd man out pantaloon

philistine pinhead pilgarlic punchinello mome moper moron mug idiot

imbecile ignoramus flunker fool fop

flibbertigibbet fathead freak fruit fruitcake nincompoop nebbish nerd

nitwit noddy nudnick numskull nut Neanderthal Cro-Magnon know-nothing

knucklehead kook chump chucklehead chowderhead chawbacon churl ceorl

cretin clod clodpoll clown cluck clunk jerk jester jackass dimwit

dingleberry dingbat dodo dope dupe dullard dunce dummy dum-dum

dumbass dumbell dummkopf dumbhead dunderhead dufus dipstick dipwad

dolt dork dweeb galoot gander gaby gawk geek goober goof goofball

gracioso retard rube rustic sad sack scaramouche scatterbrain

schlemiel schmoe schmuck schnook screwball scoundrel shit for brains

simp simpleton sod spaz sprat stock stupe stupido el stupido

thickhead tomfool turkey tawpie twerp twit varlet vegetable wacko

wanker wittol yahoo yokel zany zero

moon.gifthe_finger.gif

klenke said:

Oh yeah, trask, well you're a troglodyte and a....

ass airhead birdbrain buffoon

buffo boob boor bozo bonehead blockhead blunderer blunderbuss bugger

bumpkin hick halfwit hayseed hobbyhorse horse's ass harlequin

hardhead hammerhead loggerhead lunkhead lurdane lunatic loony looby

lout lowbrow laughingstock oaf oddity odd ball odd man out pantaloon

philistine pinhead pilgarlic punchinello mome moper moron mug idiot

imbecile ignoramus flunker fool fop

flibbertigibbet fathead freak fruit fruitcake nincompoop nebbish nerd

nitwit noddy nudnick numskull nut Neanderthal Cro-Magnon know-nothing

knucklehead kook chump chucklehead chowderhead chawbacon churl ceorl

cretin clod clodpoll clown cluck clunk jerk jester jackass dimwit

dingleberry dingbat dodo dope dupe dullard dunce dummy dum-dum

dumbass dumbell dummkopf dumbhead dunderhead dufus dipstick dipwad

dolt dork dweeb galoot gander gaby gawk geek goober goof goofball

gracioso retard rube rustic sad sack scaramouche scatterbrain

schlemiel schmoe schmuck schnook screwball scoundrel shit for brains

simp simpleton sod spaz sprat stock stupe stupido el stupido

thickhead tomfool turkey tawpie twerp twit varlet vegetable wacko

wanker wittol yahoo yokel zany zero

moon.gifthe_finger.gif

shit. you really must be unemployed. how long did that take? pitty.gif

It's a nine-step program:

Step 1: Get finger out of nose

Step 2: Put hand on crotch

Step 3: Unzip your fly

Step 4: Pull out your toothpick

Step 5: Stroke toothpick vigorously

Step 6: Unload your mind, unload your toothpick

Step 7: Wipe away mess with cotton swab

Step 8: Zip back up fly

Step 9: Re-insert finger into nose

klenke said:

It's a nine-step program:

Step 1: Get finger out of nose

Step 2: Put hand on crotch

Step 3: Unzip your fly

Step 4: Pull out your toothpick

Step 5: Stroke toothpick vigorously

Step 6: Unload your mind, unload your toothpick

Step 7: Wipe away mess with cotton swab

Step 8: Zip back up fly

Step 9: Re-insert finger into nose

Hey! That's the West Virginia dance step! hahaha.gif

This whole argument about how to solve the traffic problem reminds me about something I heard about health care. The Gross Domestic Product goes up every time someone is hurt due to a social or personal disaster. A car accident produces work for the insurance man, the health care industry, the auto shops, etc. Safety measures, which would have prevented the accident, limit the expenditure and transfer of money.

Disaster means that money will be spent. Consider a house that burns down. The things that can be replaced are replaced. Money, goods, and services are exchanged. Multiply that on a national scale and GDP goes up. Conversely, consider the savings that could occur if health care money were spent primarily on the preventive end rather than after the fact. With regard to spending money treating symptoms, it’s been suggested that over 80% of the total money spent in health care is spent in the last six months of terminal patients’ lives. The vast amount of money that is exchanged translates roughly into number of jobs, which also promotes social cohesion.

This read's like a chapter from Bastiat's Click Economic Fallacies <-- Book

Expenditures relating to the accident may go up, but the theory that the said expenditures represent a net economic plus for the country is entirely false. If this premise were true, then the best way to generate everlasting prosperity would be to destroy everything and rebuild it over an over again. The amount of wealth in and property would go down with every iteration, and the pool of capital necessary to repair the damage would shrink drastically every time - but somehow we'd all be better off. confused.gif

This becomes more clear when you use your own finances in the place of the economy. Let's say everything you own is destroyed in a tornado which also hospitalizes you for several months, and you have to use your savings to cover the losses (assume that they are adequate to do so). Once you cash in your savings and replenish all of your property are you any better off? No. In fact, you are worse off by the exactly the amount of property and wages that you lost. The savings that you spent to replace what was destroyed are no longer available to invest in anything that will generate income for you, the amount of property you own has not increased, and if you are forced to cover such losses again you'll be in much worse shape.

The same is true for the economy. In reality no one insures themselves, but the analogy holds because the funds expended to cover the loss of property, wages, etc simply replace what was lost and in no way add to the net productive capacity of the nation. There is no net increase in jobs or wealth that results when accumulated capital is expended to replace such losses. The expenditures do lead to more work for those directly involved in replacing the property - but the net increase in property or wealth on a national level is zilch, and the said funds will not be available to invest in a new factory, more efficient machinery, additional infrastructure to further expedite the movement of goods and services, etc, etc, etc.

In economics, as in thermodynamics, there is no free lunch, and increased prosperity through destruction of property, health, etc is the economic equivalent of the perpetual motion machine.

Fuck you, you fucking fuck fucker.

Hey, someone found your baby picture in a trash can behind the Quickie Mart.

Baby Trask

misc3.jpg

Folks, don't get taken in by that baby face. Even then he was destined to become the bunghole clownpunch asseyes green choad that he is today.

heavy_zepellin.gif

His one-line, crappy thread post assaults are like getting zapped by the Zeppelin of Death. Aaaaiieeee!!

Jay: everything you say makes sense except "In economics, as in thermodynamics, there is no free lunch, and increased prosperity through destruction of property, health, etc is the economic equivalent of the perpetual motion machine."

It doesn't make sense for two reasons:

1. In economics on a national or personal level, there is a such a thing as a free lunch: this would be thievery. Of course, there is a potential to get caught, so there is some risk. But, what is the risk for Saddam stealing from his own country? Overthrow by the U.S. for an entirely different matter all together?

2. The perpetual motion machine can't work for three reasons, one of which is entropy and the idea that no system is entirely frictionless. Therefore, there is always some irreversible loss of energy in the form of heat. The second reason that the perpetual motion machine can't work is that you can't create more energy than you use to create the energy. This doesn't really have a economic equivalent. If it does, it's a stretch. The third reason such a machine is not possible is that, on a thermodynamics level, you cannot achieve an infinite difference between sink and source temperatures. As long as there is a finite difference between the sink and the source there will be an inefficiency in the system that is defined (maximized) in the Carnot Cycle. This also has no economic equivalent. Lastly, your point about destruction is not applicable to the problems associated with a PMM.

However, I do see what you mean nonetheless. However, you can create money from money (this is just sound investment strategy). The real problem is correlating the money factor to the social well-being factor. This is what is known as economics. The analogy to the perpetual motion machine I just don't see. Perhaps you can bullshit an answer to me so I can see.

The PPM analogy comes in because there are a number of costs - the time and expense of filing claims, taxes, bureaucracy, lost income, diminshed production, etc - that act like the economic equivalent of friction when one is replacing property that has been destroyed. Such expenses mean that when a country has to expend capital to replace material goods that have been destroyed, the nation in question always suffers a permanent loss of wealth that can never be recovered.

But you were right. It would have been more correct to say "analogous to" rather than "the equivalent of."

Demand and consumption of goods and services increase.

Which item would contribute most to the economy, a computer that does not go obsolete or one that must be replaced every so often?

I'm not an economist so I basically do not care if I am right. I'm just messin' around with ideas. The details don't matter so much as the basic premise that the most efficient thing is not necessarily what is done.

klenke said:

Damn, Scott, are you that much of a lurdane? How long did it take me? Geez!

I've been in possession of that list for about 3 years, from when I was doing a lot of writing. It was a simple cut and paste job. Idiot. yellaf.gif

i was assuming you were cutting and pasting. given the state of your fetal alcoholism, i was guessing an easy cut and paste job would take you about 6 hours. rolleyes.gif