Alpine Route Recomendations?

Lambone

Hey folks, man I'm jones'n to climb in the Cascades...

I might make the 8 hour drive to Seattle tonight to meet my old bud and go get k-k-k-cold in the mountains. Any recomendations on routes do-able in 2 days?

North Cascades is out, any info on Stuart range access and conditions? Whats the weather lookin like up there?

Thanks,

Bone

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lambone said:

I might make the 8 hour drive to Seattle tonight to meet my old bud and go get k-k-k-cold in the mountains. Any recomendations on routes do-able in 2 days?

North Cascades is out, any info on Stuart range access and conditions? Whats the weather lookin like up there?

Thanks,

Bone

Glacier Peak wave.giftongue.gif

Clear Creek

10/21/2003: CLOSED

Closed 1.6 miles up by150’ x 3’ deep debris deposit on road and changed channel.

White Chuck

Closed at 1.4 miles due to road washout 100-150’ x 40’ wide x 20’ deep.

Suiattle River

14.5 miles up

Closed at 14.5 miles where 200’ of road has been washed away by river.

EAST SLOPES OF THE SOUTHERN CASCADES-

SATURDAY...MOSTLY SUNNY. HIGHS NEAR 60. NORTHEAST WIND AROUND 10 MPH.

SATURDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLEAR. LOWS NEAR 30 TO THE MID 30S. SOUTHEAST WIND AROUND 10 MPH.

SUNDAY...MOSTLY SUNNY. HIGHS IN THE UPPER 50S TO MID 60S. EAST WIND AROUND 10 MPH.

SUNDAY NIGHT AND MONDAY...MOSTLY CLEAR. LOWS 35 TO 40. HIGHS IN THE LOWER 60S.

Near the S. Cascade River Road is where a major fire occurred this summer (Marble Creek Fire, I think it was). The road might still be closed due to fire damage. I'd check with R.S.

Weather is supposed to be super-duper this weekend. I doubt you'll be c-c-c-old...unless you plan on hiking in your underwear. In which case, be sure to tell us where you'll be going so we can avoid running in to you. shocked.gifblush.gif

cool, thanks slothrop...sounds like a dusting, not to bad, but time for boots maybe...

devilboy...I mean posterboy...go stuff it you knappyheaded suffermachine...this ain't the Winds were talkin 'bout.

too bad the Eldo approach is shut down...I have heard of this nice little late fall route up there...

Lambone said:

Thanks,

Bone

Sorry, dude, I hear the Mountaineers reserved the Stuart Range this weekend. They're mass-top-rope seiging Stuart, Colchuck, and Dragontail. But, they said it was OK because they warned everyone before hand that they "have this range."

Something like that, but the whole road is what, 20 miles back to the parking lot at the end, and the Eldorado trailhead is somewhere around 3-5 miles before that. Walk, or ride a bike, along the road from where it's blocked off for approx 40 minutes and you'll be there. No big deal. Maybe it's 2 miles but it's easy walking on the road.

mattp said:

There is a gate at a small "borrow pit" that seems to me was about at the mile post that you suggest, Paco, and you are right that it is really not all that far of a road walk from there to the Eldorado Creek trailhead.

"trailhead" of course, being a very loose description smile.gif

mattp said:

There is a gate at a small "borrow pit" that seems to me was about at the mile post that you suggest, Paco, and you are right that it is really not all that far of a road walk from there to the Eldorado Creek trailhead.

rousch creek is also a decent approach. the mileposts confuse me; i wonder if they start counting at cascade pass.