Road Closures

Bronco

• 1 month later...

opening 2007: http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/Traffic/Passes/NorthCascades.

March, 2007

Pass Status: CLOSED

- The pass is closed between milepost 134 (east of Diablo) and milepost 177.5 (at Early Winters, which is two miles west of Mazama).

- We will start plowing and blowing snow off the highway by March 26.

- We estimate it will take five to six weeks to clear all the snow off the pass. We hope to have the pass open by mid-May.

• 3 weeks later...

Just talked to two NPS employees, one of whom has a project to complete at the trailhead and one who will be working on the Cascade River road washout. From what they tell me it will probably not be late summer before its open. Apparently some projects at the Cacade Pass trailhead they really want to get done. Take it for what it's worth but its a rumor from a pretty good source.

Skitchmo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

I visited FS #41 last night,(Green Mountain Road), there is a big washout approximatly 10 miles from Three Fingers trailhead. The FS has a contractor working on the road up to that point but not sure if they intend to continue this summer.

• 3 years later...
  • 4 months later...

Mt. Baker Forest Service web site says the Glacier Cr. forest road #39 is closed 1 mile in until further notice...http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/mbs/news-events/?cid=STELPRDB5420737. Does anyone know how bad the washout is and whether there is any apparent movement to repair it soon? Say, by May 31st when I was planning a climb.

Mt. Baker Forest Service web site says the Glacier Cr. forest road #39 is closed 1 mile in until further notice...http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/mbs/news-events/?cid=STELPRDB5420737. Does anyone know how bad the washout is and whether there is any apparent movement to repair it soon? Say, by May 31st when I was planning a climb.

I'm also planning on climbing Baker on June 13. The forest service site doesn't provide an estimated completion date, but anyone willing to wager a best-guess. I'm flying in from CO, so should I start coming up with plan B?

Thanks!

just a thought, how about coming in from the easton glacier side, hike up to the pummice ridge and camp. early start, descend and traverse around to the n ridge. The descent takes you right back to your camp for the hike out. You get a nice little traverse out of the whole trip. Maybe less extra traveling than the hike up a closed glacier creek forest road. You don't get to preinspect the glacier travel with this version but the glacier is easier if you hug the roman nose and coleman headwall. (give both of those monsters wide berth though)

I thought of that, but the idea of descending the Coleman Glacier that way doesn't excite me too much. In my memory some of the crevasses are significantly harder to see from above.

I've been thinking of the idea of biking up Glacier Creek FSR.

I have gone up the easton and over to the deming glacier a couple of times due to difficulties with the easton. that part is fairly reasonable. I have also approached the n ridge from fairly high on the coleman before traversing under the coleman headwall. that was also fairly reasonable and done to avoid nasty crevasses. Seems reasonable to combine the two in this case. In no case was there difficulty with "seeing" crevasses.

I wouldn't plan on the Glacier Creek Rd being fixed before the end of the summer, if then. It is a sizable washout and, as I understand it, the FS has no money to fix it.

I would imagine that some political pressure may be needed, but those folks are pretty busy with I-5 right now.

I wouldn't plan on the Glacier Creek Rd being fixed before the end of the summer, if then. It is a sizable washout and, as I understand it, the FS has no money to fix it...

This is basically what the ranger told me when I called. They also said the slide is still active and needs to stabilize before they can properly assess damage and hatch a repair plan.

We're planning to head over and climb Shuksan as a Plan B. but for those fixated on Baker you can still pedal the 8 mile approach to Coleman trailhead. Alternatively, you can always climb via the Railroad Grade and Easton Glacier - a straight forward route.

• 6 years later...
On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2013 at 6:58 AM, Bigtree said:

This is basically what the ranger told me when I called. They also said the slide is still active and needs to stabilize before they can properly assess damage and hatch a repair plan.

We're planning to head over and climb Shuksan as a Plan B. but for those fixated on Baker you can still pedal the 8 mile approach to Coleman trailhead. Alternatively, you can always climb via the Railroad Grade and Easton Glacier - a straight forward route.

Boulder Glacier and Park Glacier Headwall routes would be other, high quality, interesting route alternatives to the North Ridge or Coleman Headwall.  

On 2/19/2020 at 9:14 AM, Bronco said:

Heads up if you're planning to head to Baker, Glacier Creek Road is currently washed out and closed at 1 mile: https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/mbs/news-events/?cid=STELPRDB5420737

The Forest Service is closing the Glacier Creek Road (Forest Service road 39) near Glacier, Washington to vehicle traffic at mile one close to Thompson Creek due to a washout located at mile 2.7. Hikers and climbers will need to walk, hike or bike 8 miles to access the Heliotrope Ridge Trail 677 or the Coleman –Demingglacier climbing route on Mt. Baker. There is not estimates for repair or reopening at this time.

I don't think this is current information.  There is no date on that page, one of my colleagues called the USFS and they didn't know anything about it, and I haven't heard about it via snowmobile access channels either.