Ski Helmets?

PaulB

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Getting back to my point earlier about climbing helmets, I'll repeat what I've said before that I have had three friends suffer serious head injuries from leader falls, and such injuries are quite common, so it always amazes me to see so many climbers fail to use a helmet when leading. How about it, those of you who are advocating wearing a ski helmet - do you wear a helmet when rock climbing? If not, why? Is there perhaps some image or marketing component to our decision making here?

iain said:

that kid up on the Palmer at Timberline died of massive head trauma. I don't know if he was wearing a helmet.

Truth be told, I ski with a kid a lot these days, and I got the helmet to wear when we are skiing together. If the adults are all wearing them, then the kid will wear one without complaint. I bet I won't wear it otherwise.

mattp said:

Getting back to my point earlier about climbing helmets, I'll repeat what I've said before that I have had three friends suffer serious head injuries from leader falls, and such injuries are quite common, so it always amazes me to see so many climbers fail to use a helmet when leading. How about it, those of you who are advocating wearing a ski helmet - do you wear a helmet when rock climbing? If not, why? Is there perhaps some image or marketing component to our decision making here?

I ALWAYS wear a helmet on rock, I've got friends, who, like ForrestM, got flipped upside down and hit their heads. Not cool. I don't have a ski helmet, cause I don't ski hard or fast (yet? I hope), but I'm considering getting one sometime. I like my head the way it is as of today. I don't want it to change anytime soon. thumbs_down.gif

PaulB said:

So I'm thinking I should get a helmet for this winter. What features should I look for and/or avoid? How warm are they? What makes a $200 helmet better than an $80 helmet if they both meet the same safety standards?

do it. take your goggles with you when you try em on. way warm and dry and a gud idea when youre jibbin.

ChrisT said:

what about Sonny Bono? A helmet might have saved his life matt

Doubtful. Skiing helmets are designed for impacts of less than 12mph. The AMA decided there was no cost benefit for required helmet usage - or designing helmets for higher impact. Helmets are pretty much standard for the Mt. Hood racecamps - and they didn't help with severe head trauma.

cj001f said:

Doubtful. Skiing helmets are designed for impacts of less than 12mph. The AMA decided there was no cost benefit for required helmet usage - or designing helmets for higher impact.

I'm not disputing your facts, it sounds like you've looked into this more than I have... but doesn't this seem a little strange? Just from a common sense perspective, compare that to a bicycle helmet, which is generally cut higher and weighs less, but would seem to be designed for similar sorts of impacts, i.e. being catapulted off the bike and hitting a curb or the street. Hard to believe that the ski helmet is only good to 12 mph...

I rarely ski without my helmet. I don't give a shit if other people think I look stupid. I've been in some crashes where my head was ringing even with it on and I know without it I would have been much worse off.

The most important thing is fit, price pretty much just determines how many vents you have.

specialed said:

minx said:

nice...

and you can wear it to the catwalk on saturday nights too

That's ALL I'm wearing to the catwalk on Saturday...

perfect, be sure to stop and say hi, maybe i'll buy you a drink and touch your horns evils3d.gifwink.gif

jon said:

I rarely ski without my helmet. I don't give a shit if other people think I look stupid. I've been in some crashes where my head was ringing even with it on and I know without it I would have been much worse off.

The most important thing is fit, price pretty much just determines how many vents you have.

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

nothing wrong with that! when i was kid, we weren't allowed to ride our horses w/o wearing a helmet til we were 18. i thought i was so cool and it was so much cooler to ride in the summer sun w/o that i did. then when i was 19, in a silly accident i got feel and hit my head on a rock. received a severe concussion and still don't remember 30 min of my life.

i was going far less than 12mph at the time. not that i wear one when i ski, i just don't see a damn thing wrong with it and certainly won't chastize someone for doing something safe.

minx said:

specialed said:

minx said:

nice...

and you can wear it to the catwalk on saturday nights too

That's ALL I'm wearing to the catwalk on Saturday...

perfect, be sure to stop and say hi, maybe i'll buy you a drink and touch your horns evils3d.gifwink.gif

...you mean my horn. cantfocus.gif

mattp said:

For comparison, how many of those who are discussing ski helmets would consider wearing a helmet when crag climbing? Just curious.

I don't understand this either, maybe it's because the crags I frequented while learning to climb had loose rock on them but I've been climbing long enough to be aware of some nasty accidents that have happened at "safe" sport climbing areas. My gunks partner decided to start climbing with a helmet when he took a 35' whipper that led to the ground brushing the hair on his head. I wear a bike helmet whenever I'm on the bike, a climbing helmet whenever I'm on a climb, a paddling helmet whenever I'm in the boat and a skiing helmet whenever I'm on skis. This is all my personal choice, to give up the convenience of an uncovered head for the marginal gain of a possible survival. Not that I understand it, but you will get no beef from me if you aren't wearing a helmet. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that my head is my choice. My kids will certainly be wearing helmets when they start doing the dumb things I do tongue.gif