Tele class

dryad

This is offered by North Cascades Mountain Guides

Six Day Backcountry Intensive

This is our most comprehensive backcountry telemark workshop. We run this in cooperation with North Cascade Heli-Skiing. Day One is spent at the local ski area where we work on ski skills and techniques that will pay off in the backcountry. That night we prepare for our flight into the Indiana Basin yurt. Ideally located, this basecamp offers excellent touring potential from mellow open glades to radical north-facing chutes. We spend each day working on skills and touring for turns. Topics covered include route finding, hazard evaluation, snowpack analysis, avalanche rescue drills, and having fun in the freshies. Evenings are spent in the cozy warmth of the yurt eating delicious meals and reveling in the majestic alpine ambiance. This is a trip you'll never forget.

Sounds pretty great. Has anybody gone through this program or can recommend another guide service to check out?

(I haven't had much luck trying to teach myself from a book, plus is sounds like a fun trip.)

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

dryad said:

Sounds pretty great. Has anybody gone through this program or can recommend another guide service to check out?

(I haven't had much luck trying to teach myself from a book, plus is sounds like a fun trip.)

dryad - a word of caution (that you may already know). If you don't have the basics down pretty well, it might be pretty frustrating trying to learn/improve while skiing in the backcountry. To get the most out of this kind of camp, you already need to have a certain level of skill.

A number of years ago it was possible to get a 2 hr lesson a Snoqualmie. I'd recommend taking a short lesson, then get as much ski time on-piste as possible before going to the bc camp.

If I've misread your present ski level, please ignore. Have fun...

From the horse's mouth:

I wanted to get back to you abour our 6 day b/c intensive. We will

probably offer one or two of these this winter, though we need to get

dates worked out with North Cascades Heli Skiing first. If you like I

can keep you posted as to when the courses will take place. As far as

skiing goes, we do spend day one at a ski area working on technique,

though the better your downhill technique is before the course, the

more fun you will have. There is some great beginner terrain around

the yurt, so you dont have to be able to ski the gnar in order to have

a blast on this trip. Let me know if that answers your questions and

dont hesitate to email back if you have other concerns.

=====

Alpine Cheer,

Larry Goldie

North Cascades Mountain Guides

dryad said:

...Has anybody gone through this program or can recommend another guide service to check out?

Dryad,

I'm sure NCMG are excellent, but you should also check out Nils Larsen's clinics, which I can't say enough good about.

You'd have to drive over here to the east side. His annual Beyond the Groomed workshop, over Prez Day weekend, is at Whitewater out of Nelson, BC. I know a few cc.comers have done this one. It would give you a chance to get in our somewhat lighter snow (most of the time), check out the great rockin little resort of WH2O, and the even more rockin town of Nelson. Nils assembles an all-star cast of instructors for his clinics, which often includes Ray Thomas of NCMG, Leighton White of Bachy, and others including _____? (can't remember the name of the gal who's an excellent instructor and does an annual summer tele clinic up at Hood--sorry, rbw--somebody help me). I know Nils also does a lot of special one-day lessons throughout the country, and if you email him he responds pretty quickly even though he's often traveling.

Not sure where you are at in terms of ability, but for Nils' stuff, you would want to be proficient enough that you can at least link turns most of the way down the hill. His students cover a range, usually from "advanced beginners" to truly advanced skiers. I would be leery about being strong enough to handle 6 days in a row of instruction if I wasn't in shape or especially if I was a rank beginner. A one-day lesson or weekend workshop will give you a chance to work on your own on plenty of stuff you will pick up in 1-2 days.

Whatever you choose, get your skiing time in with max turns on the snow and you'll get strong and improve regardless. But a good instructor will have you improve beyond that by leaps and bounds, literally. Good luck and happy turns.

I’d second that Nils Larson recommendation. I had a day with him at the WyEast tele camp a few years ago and it was breakthrough experience. Those summer camps are amazingly cheap considering how much good beta you get. A lesson with Shelly of Wy’East is always worthwhile, IME. Also, I don’t know if he’s still at it, but Glen Kessler (rangering on Rainier last I heard) is an excellent tele instructor.

JUST ADD STOKE! fruit.gif (and snow...)

I see a lot of good telemarkers at Alpenthal during mid week. I'm sure they are at Stevens and Crystal and such, but at Alpenthal they are easy to spot and hook up with. I always seem to hook up with one or more when I go there solo. Most are extra friendly and willing to take a few runs with you. Imitation is a good teacher, a great motivator and costs nothing! It's all about getting one or two tips and concentrating on those. Body to fall line, NO double pole plants are my first 2!

• 3 weeks later...

For those who wanted to know when it's happening, here's the latest:

I am finally getting back to you about our backcountry ski course. I recently spoke with the owner of North Cascades Heli Skiing and we got some dates sorted out. Due to increased costs of their helicopter and insurance, rates have gone up considerably for this course. Rather than dramatically raise the price of the whole program, we are trying to keep the cost close to the same ($950) though cutting one day off of the trip. So....we are offering it as a five day trip this year. Day one at a local ski hill working on technique and the next 4 days at the yurt, touring for turns and working on skills. One thing to keep in mind is that we do need a minimum of 4 people to make this trip run due to the heli flight in. Its actually one of the longer flights in the area, and you will see why its so expensive. The dates we are offering are Jan 28-Feb 1, and March 17- 21st. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Cheers,

Larry