Pub Club is the shit!

CascadeClimber

It was a rough drive home, all three blocks, but Pub Club was worth it. Thanks all who showed up out here in the boonies, especially Victoria for being the only climber-chick to brave the long drive.

It sure is nice to put a face to some of the avatars. I wish I had a dollar for every time I heard, "That is Captain Caveman???"

Per the completely unofficial and undocumented rules, we voted and it is the Owl and the something or the other (Thistle?) next week.

Right. So now I'm done, but still buzzed. Peace out.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by CascadeClimber:
Thanks all who showed up out here in the boonies, especially Victoria for being the only climber-chick to brave the long drive.

She showed up to represent her gender in Tacoma last week. As per Dwayner's request, I evaluated her on the "cuteness scale" at 10.2 (but only after I rated Dwayner to be a perfect 7).

Pub Club was a good thing. Despite the fighting before, the event was great.

For those of you who have not met the man formerly known as Captain Caveman I recomend meeting him in person. He may come across as an asshole, but he's our asshole and we love him.

Others who showed up included; Mattp, hikerwa, erik, mtnranger, rodeo, Dr J, specialed, TTT, and a bunch of others who were so fantastic I can't think of their names at the moment.

Also Dave Whitlaw of Washington Rock fame showed up. Having done most of my cragging in the Cascades using his guide, I thought it was quite a treat.

Lastly it was nice to see Victoria show up. She seemed embarrassed for the female gender due to our earlier fight, but we were all happy to see her.

Yes it was a sausage fest, but it was a good time.

Like CC said above next week to honor Dave Parker's return the Owl and Thistle has been put forward as a venue.

I hope we can all work the next site out without the fight this one caused. smile.gif" border="0

I'm pretty freakin bummed I wasn't able to make it, glad you guys had fun though. My car was supposed to be out of the shop but didn't find out it wasn't finished until too late to get a ride, so I had to drink by myself. frown.gif" border="0

Maybe AlpineK should be honorary Pub Club chairperson?

Be careful, Alpine K. You may run afoul of the rules here.

I believe the record will show that somewhere in Monday's discussion there was a certain pub on Greenwood Avenue North that was suggested for the next meeting. If we look at the Revised Code of Pub Club (RCPC) rulebook, we may be bound to at least consider that proposal. See RCPC 5.1 (the first proponent of a venue has the presumptive right to "set" that venue as the site for the next meeting); see also RCPC 1.1(f) ("proponent" is defined to a "member" who sets forth a proposal); see also RCPC 1.1(d)( "member" shall mean any person who attends one or more meeting of PubClub, or adds more than ten posts to the CC.Com bulletin board, or others as the M.ofC. shall allow); see also RCPC 1.1(e) ("M.ofC." is defined to mean that "member" who may take it upon his-self or herself to attempt to coordinate this motley bunch into a cohesive organization for the consumption of alcohol and greasy food).

Now, of course, we have to consider the fact that the place for next week's site is not yet established. We had, on Monday, the Greenwood Avenue proposal, and last night there was mention of the Alki Tavern (who do you think would propose that dive?) and then there was some discussion of the "Owl and Thistle." We do not know what may happen between now and next week. Consider RCPC 5.2 (that member with the presumptive right to "set" the site has the option of withdrawing that proposal unless at least three "members" have confirmed their agreement with the proposal prior to that member's exercising this right of withdrawal); see also RCPC 5.3 (shall a "member" set forth a proposal in bad faith, e.g. if they do so only with the intent to harass or annoy all those good polite members who conduct theirselves in good faith, if they propose a venue that doesn't even serve beer, or if they suggest a place that does not exist, that member's privileges as proponent shall lapse); see also RCPC 5.4 (shall a member propose a venue that "truly sucks," the M.ofC. may, upon receipt of sworn testimony from at least ten pub club members that the proposed venue truly sucks, declare that proposal void); see also RCPC 1.1(h) ( "truly sucks" shall mean a place that (1) serves no alcohol, (2) has a dress code that will not allow a genuine "member" to enter the venue, or suffers from some other structural defect rendering the place incapable of hosting Pub Club; "truly sucks" does not mean "merely inconvenient").

All of this must be viewed in the context of the General Rules of Pub Club (GRPC) rule 1.1, (as amended): "the venue for Pub Club Meetings shall rotate such that most meetings will be held closest to the "highest concentration of the members' home addresses," but at least one meeting every three or four weeks is to be held outside the city where that highest concentration of the members' home addresses" shall lie); see also GRPC 1.2 (as amended) (the "highest concentration of the members' home addresses" is presumed to lie within two miles of the Fremont Bridge, in Seattle.

Thank heavens we have Counsel on the board. I was getting nervous about the Drunken Eastside Sausage Group, who not only pushed the envelope on the above, but seriously jumped the gun on the timeline for location selection, for which code is still in committee. Generally, it would appear, location is not set until less than 48 hours prior, in order to keep paparazzi out, I'd assume.

Before the elders meet to discuss the fate of all of us, let me gently offer a compromise solution: In order to appease all parties, one of the upcoming 2 Seattle weeks could be held at each location. My primary concern here is that the attendees of the previous week's Pub Club determining the locatin of the subsequent week's Pub Club could lead to malice, trickery, corruption, bribery, and a lot of other bad things I can't think of right now.

quote:

Originally posted by allison:
My primary concern here is that the attendees of the previous week's Pub Club determining the locatin of the subsequent week's Pub Club could lead to malice, trickery, corruption, bribery, and a lot of other bad things I can't think of right now.

or their choice of venue could get more cc'ers out to the pub club rolleyes.gif" border="0 i for one was tempted when i saw that next week pub club would be held at the Owl n' Thistle [Wazzup] but most people probably don't want my-bad-self attending anyway frown.gif" border="0 i guess allison is right, better have it someplace else tongue.gif" border="0

A true meritocracy would have the actual ATTENDEES of the pub club decide the location for the next week. I believe this was the procedure set in place during the last Pub Club fracas. So NO Allison, the 3/12/2 attendees did not jump the gun. They admirably performed their duty. Unfortunately the attendees of 3/5/2 Club Pub neglected/forgot to announce an upcoming location last week which opened the door to this latest ugly confrontation.

I just wanted to say thanks for a great pub club. The drive was worth it especially 'cause I was able to capitalize on a trip to Krispy Kreme. Eperiencing the climber formerly known as Captain Caveman is also always a treat.

Jens proposed we have a collaborative slide show for one of the pub clubs. Sounds like a great idea. So Jens, let us know if you need help planning that.

Mattp, maybe you should send us all a copy of that elustrious rule book once you gotten it completed!

See you all next week.

Allison -

I think you may be referring to RCPC 4.2 (proposed) (in order to avoid confusion, the final selection of the venue for a meeting of the PubClub shall be made at least four hours and no more than forty eight hours prior to the onset of the drinking). Also, I am sure you realize that malice, trickery, corruption, bribery, and "a lot of other bad things" would fall under the "bad faith" provision, RCPC 5.3 (noted above).

- Matt

Don't take me to court Matt. I only said that at pub club a lot of people seemed in favor of the owl and thistle next week. I understand that the Park Pub has it's backers.

We could do both. I don't think downtown Seattle is too far from the ship canal for those of us who live near it.

Since, DP is coming back to town next week, he would like to attend, there is a precedence for locating a pub club in a convenient spot for a returning vacationeer (see emch's return from Bolivia); I think we should go with the Owl And Thistle next week and the Park Pub the week following.

However, I will let the rest of you stew over the location (or maybe fight shocked.gif" border="0 ) We can Decide next monday.

Also it would be nice to here from Mr. DP himself.

quote:

Originally posted by allison:
... My primary concern here is that the attendees of the previous week's Pub Club determining the locatin of the subsequent week's Pub Club could lead to malice, trickery, corruption, bribery, and a lot of other bad things I can't think of right now.

Now why do you think we would harbor a grudge Allison tongue.gif" border="0 Could it possibly be a deserved grudge tongue.gif" border="0tongue.gif" border="0tongue.gif" border="0

You have yet to see me roused Allison. Before you make a judgement please contact CrazyJZ and or Rat and ask them about the, "Battle at the Index Parking Lot 1991." Plus I've seen Kit Lewis at his best/worst.

Don't make me open up a can-o-wuppass on ya. tongue.gif" border="0

[ 03-13-2002: Message edited by: AlpineK ]