• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why no pic of the residents?

Why the big grin?

No fear?

Another parental warning (whoops, mixing my newsgroups): If you don't care take of it now it will come back and bite you in the ass.

Wasp graded response to approaching threat:

1. flying in and out of nest on usual business

2. land on nest

3. orient toward approaching threat

4. raise rear ends, slightly splay wings, start to vibrate, eyes start to glitter

5. deliver chemical payload multiple targets

actually we thought it was an abandoned nest until Steve used it as a foothold when topping out. then the buzz started. i think they were napping from the cold until then.

of course, the wasps on Canary never bother to build a nest. they just hide in the crack and zap you whenever. shocked.gif

Dru said:

actually we thought it was an abandoned nest until Steve used it as a foothold when topping out. then the buzz started. i think they were napping from the cold until then.

of course, the wasps on Canary never bother to build a nest. they just hide in the crack and zap you whenever. shocked.gif

so true!!...had a hard time containing my angst recently w/the wasps buzzing around there. i've been stung 3X this year. (guess i should quit putting flowers in my hat) my poor partner wasn't thrilled having me as a belayer at that point!

catbirdseat said:

I couldn't help but notice that the rock surface on which the nest is attached looks very new, as though a flake had recently cleaved off of it.

SHIT BUSTED!!!! Yes we chipped it rolleyes.gifyelrotflmao.gif Those wasps are so fucking fast they built a nest on our new chipped hold in SECONDS cantfocus.gifcantfocus.gif