fastest way?

imorris

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I always base my choice of routes on whether or not it's snowing, how low the snow level is, and how early it is. The best solution for Timberline is go up via Hwy 26 prior to 8:00 am and either leave prior to 2:30 or after 7:00 pm.

Going to Timberline and even Meadows prior to say 8:00 am and returning prior to 3:00 pm (you're screwed anyway you look at it during peak times): I-84 to Wood Village Exit I(16) is the fastest (though ugly) way. You can also take the Troutdale exit on I84 East (with all the truck stops), follow frontage road to east end, take right and head up the hill - it dumps you out on Hwy 26 a mile or so east of Uhaul - good way to get back to 84 if the traffic stacks up going into Gresham.

To points east and north of Timberline on Hwy 35 during peak travel times (Meadows, etc.): Go through Hood River - especially after 3:00 or so on a Sunday as the Bend weekend traffic joins the mess at Gov't Camp. It's faster going to Meadows via Hwy 26 if the traffic is not to bad, but in the afternoon or late morning, or when snowing - Hood River is the way to go. There is very little traffic to and from H.R. The Hood River way avoids the zoo out of ZigZag when it's snowing and everyone is chaining up. Good beer and coffee stops too.

quote:

Originally posted by bballer44:
i-84 to hood river, hang a right and go about 30 miles. . .

This will put you at Parkdale (approximately) and quite a ways from Timberline.

If I'm going to Timberline I take the Troutdale exit as described above. Its the most hassle-free in my opinion. If I'm going just about anywhere else on the mountain I go through H.R. Its alot mroe scenic, even if its a lot longer. Besides, the pizza in H.R. is worth the stop.

I new some people had it down to a science. Thanks for the input. I've done the hood river thing many times and on the way out after 4:00pm it's the only way to go (or hang out at meadows until late). I like the morning light on the N side of hood on the way in, too. What are those favorite beer and coffee stops? I've spent some time at Eliot Glacier pub after ice climbing a few times, but it's in Parkdale. Not bad, but not on the highway.

helicopter

i-84 to hood river, hang a right and go about 30 miles. it does take longer, but theres less traffic. its a nice drive through the hood river canyon, look for the ice flows on the way.

also watch out for cops, they like to write tickets between hood river and about mt hood meadows.

have fun