Darwin Award (avalanche category)

eriknusanet

(sorry I posted this to the Gear Critic section by mistake earlier)

Here's the avalanche forecast for yesterday (Monday Mar 11)"WASHINGTON CASCADES NEAR AND WEST OF THE CREST................AVALANCHE WARNING.........High avalanche danger below 7000 feet early Monday, gradually decreasing lower elevations later Monday becoming high above 4 to 5000 feet and considerable below through Monday night."

And here's a news item from today's report:"Yet another close call for this winter came at Granite Mountain west of Snoqualmie on Monday where a climber was buried without a transceiver, but managed to get a hand out of the snow after a 1500 foot ride, and survived a 20 minute plus burial."

Granite Mountain has got to have some of the worst slopes I can imagine for avalanche hazard. Can anyone fathom why someone would be up there yesterday???

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ignorance. A friend of mine who could barely spell "mountain" went up above Seward Alaska in early spring. They got almost to the top of the ridge when it cut loose a huge slab avalanche. His friend dissappeared immediately and was never seen again. My friend was on a big slab careening down the hill. When it went over a bump he would almost get thrown off but managed to stay on. By the time he was near the bottom he was kind of getting the hang of it. Came out totally unscratched. rolleyes.gif" border="0

To be fair, there is a route up a SW ridge of Granite Mt. that people use in the winter to avoid the obvious avalanche gullies the summer trail crosses. If the guy was on this ridge believing he was ok then maybe one could cut him a little slack. Not knowing this guy's experience or where on the mountain this occurred makes it hard to judge this person for real. cool.gif" border="0

quote:

Originally posted by AllYouCanEat:
I believe it is always smart to be aware of the avi conditions in the area. On the other hand, I never understand why you must judge other people, or deam them as ignorant. The only reason would be to install some confidence in your own abilities by dashing those of others who oviously made the wrong decision. I am guilty of that. Most of you are, too. I have made many bad decisions that I warrented sane decisions at the time. Some have ended badly. Finaly, to sum up my rant, is to die in the backcounry simply a result of dull wit? Of course not. I was once told I would win the darwin award (for skiing on a glacier). I believe we just had different views of what is stupid. The skier probably did too.

That's stupid.

[ 03-12-2002: Message edited by: Bug ]

W,

Yes it was clear I dont care about the Darwin award talk. Everyone has their moments wink.gif" border="0 How ya been anyway?

I guess I was supposed to read Phil's mind or into the future therefore already knowing what he might post in response to my comments?

I think Phil just knows I dont really care for him is all. Maybe he is trying to come out of the closet as a true homo that once secretly loved me and now hates me since he has found out I am not gay. Barf!

How's that for a thinly veiled attack Phil? [Moon]

quote:

Originally posted by rayborbon:
W,

Yes it was clear I dont care about the Darwin award talk. Everyone has their moments
wink.gif" border="0
How ya been anyway?

I guess I was supposed to read Phil's mind or into the future therefore already knowing what he might post in response to my comments?

I think Phil just knows I dont really care for him is all. Maybe he is trying to come out of the closet as a true homo that once secretly loved me and now hates me since he has found out I am not gay. Barf!

How's that for a thinly veiled attack Phil?
[Moon]

Oh yeah! This is great stuff! The Captain LIVES!

Ya I caught a bit of the "conversation" between you two in some recent thread that was also quite entertaining.Doin' good! I think I got my waterfall ice fix for the season; lots of good days and a week in Alberta since we drank in Lillowet a month ago; still, lamenting the +9C in Lillooet all this week which ensures that the season up there will be gettin' the gong anyday. Quitting my job in three weeks. Fuckin-a right, and on the road for me.Keep it going:throwup.gif

W,Right on you should show tonight in the brew house.

Honestly I dont understand the internet people. At least some of them. I dont have any problems expressing my disagreement or even dislike about persons publicly. I guess that is not PC? I dont see it as a big deal to be honest.. Call it spray I call it being myself. A true way of understanding me is just giving up trying to wink.gif" border="0

I dont post here for anyone's enjoyment but my own.

Anyway sounds like you had a blast in the rockies?

Curious about your road trip. Where you headed? If you are coming to the bar then just tell me then.

-R

quote:

Originally posted by slothrop:
Veggie, where did you see the incident report? I looked at the NWAC site and the most recent thing I could find was a report on two guys whose tent got buried near Source Lake at the end of January.

I just got it from the current conditions on the site. ericusanet pasted the excerpt up above. I was probably more swayed by the posts saying he was a skiier, but I couldn't find the story at seattletime.com, or king5.com to verify it myself.

this was on the seattle SAR page. it happened sunday:

Subject reported that they had skied 1/2 down Granite Mtn and went back upfor another 'run'. From very near the top, they started skiing down, andthere was a 12-14 inch slab fracture, which carried subject down. Hereported trying to keep on top, and felt he was doing OK, but when he cameto rest, he felt 'lots' of snow continuing to come down and bury him. He'stuck an arm out' and put his other arm in front of his face. Then'quiet'.

Subject's friend reported that he watched his friend being carried downentire face of Granite, from almost top to tree line, a couple of thousandfeet below. When his friend disappeared in avalanche debris, he thoughtthat was it. He worked his way down and began searching. He 'spotted anarm' sticking out of the snow, and yelling brought back his friend'sresponse. He then telephoned '911'. He was able to get his friend out, anddetermined there were no injuries. They then began walking out.

BUG

quote:

That's stupid.

If your going to attack me, at least clarify the reasoning behind the above statement. I just felt like ranting. In short, what I meant was that often I say to myself, "That climber sucked, he didn't know nothing, and that would've never happened to me." This sort of attitude bothers me. If you read more into it than that then (shrug) tell me why you disagree. I may possibly agree with your disagreements...

quote:

Originally posted by philfort:
I learned of this accident yesterday morning, so I think it happened Sunday (when the avalanche danger was not quite so high), not Monday as the avi report stated.

I read the avy forecast sunday. I was out sunday too in Alpental Valley for about 15 minutes...

I think the forecast was moderate and supposed to go to extreme that evening. Phil, I dont know how that is supposed to be not so high. Perhaps you are getting your info from somewhere different than mine. But first hand viewing the conditions over the weekend and I will say that I did not need to read the avvy forecast anyway. Just was more curious what it said.

Considering the amount of snow that fell over the weekend I cant even try to understand why you would write the above.

I believe it is always smart to be aware of the avi conditions in the area. On the other hand, I never understand why you must judge other people, or deam them as ignorant. The only reason would be to install some confidence in your own abilities by dashing those of others who oviously made the wrong decision. I am guilty of that. Most of you are, too. I have made many bad decisions that I warrented sane decisions at the time. Some have ended badly. Finaly, to sum up my rant, is to die in the backcounry simply a result of dull wit? Of course not. I was once told I would win the darwin award (for skiing on a glacier). I believe we just had different views of what is stupid. The skier probably did too.

Ok, after reading the incident report on the NWAC site I retract my statement above giving the guy the benefit of the doubt. It's apparent he wasn't being very smart. A buddy and I were out on Sunday and were surprised at the depth of snow over the hardpack there was in the backcountry versus at the trailhead. We turned around way early that day. cool.gif" border="0

[ 03-12-2002: Message edited by: vegetablebelay ]

quote:

Originally posted by rayborbon:
Considering the amount of snow that fell over the weekend I cant even try to understand why you would write the above.

A thinly veiled personal attack on me I see. rolleyes.gif" border="0 I was simply correcting misinformation. What I said was true: the incident happened Sunday. And, the avi danger was worse Monday than Sunday (based on both the avi forecast, and common sense).

That said, I agree the avi danger was bad Sunday. I was at Baker, and we basically bailed on doing any skiing because of it. 2 feet of consolidated snow on ice crust. I skied up to this (safe) 15 foot convex roll and said "Let's see if I can make this slide". I made one gentle hop, and *crack*, and the slope fractured down to the ice crust and slid off.

quote:

Originally posted by philfort:

A thinly veiled personal attack on me I see.
rolleyes.gif" border="0
I was simply correcting misinformation. What I said was true: the incident happened Sunday. And, the avi danger was worse Monday than Sunday (based on both the avi forecast, and common sense).

That said, I agree the avi danger was bad Sunday. I was at Baker, and we basically bailed on doing any skiing because of it. 2 feet of consolidated snow on ice crust. I skied up to this (safe) 15 foot convex roll and said "Let's see if I can make this slide". I made one gentle hop, and *crack*, and the slope fractured down to the ice crust and slid off.

Phil,There are no thinly veiled attacks. If I was to "attack" you it would be really obvious. I have no reason to "attack" you. Get real. I have more fun making jokes and such about you instead...

I was just trying to understand why you would write such. Seemed confusing from my perspective.

-R