Pub Club: why do we do it?

mattp

In another thread, Allison questions whether there should be "rules" about how to organize a pub club and Mystic Nacho notes that the issue of where to meet this week may have grown beyond reasonable proportion. In light of this week's debate, I believe it might be appropriate to ask why we go to pub club and why it is that anybody might think that an "organized" event is any better than just going out with the friends you may already go out with outside of cc.com.

First and foremost, I see the weekly pub club as an opportunity to meet and hang out with some of the people who I interact with so much over the internet. I'm always excited to meet new pub clubbers, and to discuss the latest spray fest on the board. I think these face-to-face interactions have led to some moderation of the bullshit flung between those of us who like to waste half our work day arguing about sport v. trad climbing or the proper way to catch a leader fall. I believe that the exchange of ideas and information at cc.com and at pub clubs helps build a sense of community and I hope the exchange may help us to take a more unified position as a user group. I know that some people fear the acrimonious debate commonly found on the site may in fact do just the opposite, and I recognize that there have been some ups and some downs, but I think the general net effect is on the up side.

I also like to drink beer and I enjoy talking about climbing, but the special attraction that the pub clubs hold for me is the opportunity to meet climbers who I would not otherwise have the opportunity to meet. I'm willing to drive: I live in Ballard but I've been to Monroe, Issaquah, and Tacoma. Would I otherwise have met the dynamic duo of Dwayner and Pope? No. Bronco and Mountain Ranger? I doubt it. Even right here in the north end of Seattle, I doubt I would have met Allison and IceGirl without at least a semi-organized event.

Let's all drink to Pub club.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm with matt on this one......

i like to go out and meet different people that i might not meet otherwise....

pub clubs have led me to some interesting adventures and definatly to meet some great people......

there should not be an dissention in the ranks and other whom may not want to join the choosen venure should certainly go out and be merry, but not at the cost of talkin trash about the event.....bad form.......

if you don't like the locaction or think that you are being wronged then suck it up and make the chouce next week...

i thought we had kinda had a schedule decided a couple months ago.....s, s, t, o, s, s, t, o......

seems fair enough....

I really like meeting other climbers. I doubt I would have met many without the Pub Club. Back before we had any kind of a schedule friends of mine that post would complain that we were always drinking in Ballard. While the majority of CCrs live close to the ship canal there are still plenty who don't and yet still show up. I think the current schedule is weighted towards where the majority live, and if we try and force the issue through the tyranny of the majority then pretty soon only people close to the ship canal will show up.

If we had lots of local Pub Clubs I would never have met Erik, Dwayner, Pope, Jon, Capt'n, TTT, and a bunch of others.

Not to name names, but I guess it's obvious (Icegirl) trying to argue that Alki is not in Seattle and or a huge distance from the ship canal is crazy.

I don't mind driving and I am happy to give rides to those that do. smile.gif" border="0

quote:

if you don't like the locaction or think that you are being wronged then suck it up and make the chouce next week...

Uh, doing something like this is what started this whole issue. Accidentally, I might add. that's what I get for a) not reading the rule book, and b) not reading CC.com 24/7.

I show at the pub club to see the new girls and start bar room brawls. Another reason is that I get tired of drinking all by myself too. I also like to rap with friends bragging about the latest 40 year old testpiece I climbed rolleyes.gif" border="0 and lie saying I did not pull on the gear or bypass the cruxes.. Plus I dont mind some trash talk as well.

This one should be fun now I can talk shit to Cascadeclimber drunk! I hope Phil shows so I can make fun of him too. My guess is that he will not...

Ya know what's funny about lurking? Someone posted photos from one of the PCs, and the next week, I RECOGNIZED one of you CCers out there, somewhere in Seattle... I was about to pee my pants and point at this unsuspecting soul and shout "I SAW YOU ON THE INTERNET!!"

It was an odd feeling.