The Worst Roadside Bivy and the Oregon Problem

jordop

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no secret roadside bivvies b/c i usually crash in the driveway of a friends house in S. OR.

worst places ever: bucksnort TN a) it was TN b) it wasn't that far off an interstate and i still heard gun fire as well as squealing animals shocked.gif

close second: hwy 18, near tiger mtn, on the way home very late from tacoma, decided to have a quick nap. i'm startled awake by the tap tap of on my window. police officers giving me the third degree madgo_ron.gif

jordop said:

(a friend of mine once did this, insisting that SHE drive the entire way to Yosemite, 21 hrs straight)

heh if this is the person I think it is yellaf.gif ... the drive to leavenworth was enough to scare me off long road trips with her.

Nothing compared to your story, but when moving up to WA from CA with all my earthly possessions stuffed into and on top of a VW Rabbit, I passed out late in some legal-like campground in Roseburg?, Rose something-or-another right in the middle of OR. But anyway, the campground is directly below I-5. Constant truck roar. Then about 5am I find out that my parking spot is also 5 feet away from a train track! A big ol' train does make a pretty effective alarm clock I guess. At least I didn't have to pay for that spot grin.gif.

Sorry no beta for the bivy spots. I usually just drive straight though. Oregon at 3am is a pretty cruiser drive.

fern said:
jordop said:

(a friend of mine once did this, insisting that SHE drive the entire way to Yosemite, 21 hrs straight)

heh if this is the person I think it is yellaf.gif ... the drive to leavenworth was enough to scare me off long road trips with her.

Edited by jordop

On a roadtrip with The Albatross, we pulled over to sleep in Oregon, he crashed in the woods. 2AM flashlight wake-up call, were asked to move. In panic, I drove off, forgetting Todd. Decided to wait 15 minutes for Johnny to disperse, then drove back. He was still there, and came up to my window, very suspicious now. wazzup.gif I told you to leave, he said.

I had to admit to the panic moment, and that my friend was in the woods. Very embarassing, but he laughed about it and told me to go get Todd. Took me 15 minutes to find him, and Johnny was still there when I got back, not so happy now. He followed us for 20 minutes in his car, apparently to make sure we weren't going to go back a third time... yellaf.gif

I was driving across the country with this friend and we stopped at the World's Fair in New Orleans. We got pretty hammered, him especially, and I drove us across Lake Pontchartrain (long fucking bridge when tired and hammered) to find this campground out in the bayou. My buddy was in that halfawake halfasleep drunk stupor and being all combative and shit and when we got out of the car we were arguing about something and he just says fine fuck you blah blah blah and walk off into the night. I'm thinking good riddance and bed down. Well, turns out he was out on his feet drunk and when he finally "came to" he found himself walking out on a road in the middle of the bayou in Louisiana, pretty much had no idea where he was! hellno3d.gifyellaf.gif

Valdez all the parking lots, pull outs and what not have no camping signs, even the church. So we drove a little bit out of town and the only place we could find was this little pull out right off the highway. Finally got to sleep despite the traffic. about 2am i wake up to someone standing over me and shining a 3ft maglite in my face. Its the popo. My friend does all the talking while I'm being blinded. After about ten minutes he leaves us alone. I didn't sleep much the rest of that night.

Oh Jordonp do you now anyone from this site who lives in pdx. You could drive to pdx bivi then finish up the next day. I know its a little farther north then you wanted, but hey there my idea.

Edited by eric8

Dirt camping in Lilloett, fucking cold, wake up thinking a mouse had just run across my face, then to feel something like a marmot trying to get underneath me. Get my head out of the bag, and now the COYOTE is tugging on the foot of my bag. I don't have my glasses on, and I'm screaming at the thing, but it makes another grab at my bag before slinking off.

Necronomicon said:

Dirt camping in Lilloett, fucking cold, wake up thinking a mouse had just run across my face, then to feel something like a marmot trying to get underneath me. Get my head out of the bag, and now the COYOTE is tugging on the foot of my bag. I don't have my glasses on, and I'm screaming at the thing, but it makes another grab at my bag before slinking off.

Edited by jordop

On a road trip in eastern OR some years ago I was travelling on Hwy 31 that runs SE of La Pine into what I think was the Deschutes Nat. Forest. As I drove down the hwy I saw several dirt roads go off into the forest on both sides of the hwy. I decided to pick one of them to bivy by. I drive the dirt road I picked about 0.5 mile into the forest and pitch my tent a few feet away from it, since there was some room. This is at about 9pm. I proceed to do some reading, but about a half-hour later I hear some cars go slowly by. I had hoped that I would get this road for myself, but oh well. The cars drive on for about 10 minutes or so, and then are turned off. Not long after that I start hearing the occasional gunshot. This bothered me some, knowing that the cars weren't really that far away. However, it was when they brought out the heavy artillery that I started to really become concerned, especially when I started hearing machine gun fire. I decided that I was not going to waste any more time there and threw my tent into the truck and drove off to La Pine for a motel room.

Necronomicon said:

The coyote must have mistaken you for carrion.

Driving to SLC from Indian Creek late on a Sunday night. While somewhere in that worthless, flat expanse south of Price and east of the San Rafael Swell, I just COULD NOT stay awake any longer.

After nodding off one time too many, I pulled into the first dirt pulloff I found. It turned out to be a frontage road long a railroad grade.

Twice in the middle of the night, big, loud freighers came through, scaring me so badly that I had rolled completely under my little 1982 Subaru hatchback before I was even awake. Both times I woke up squashed under the muffler with freight train roaring past and my heart beating 1000 miles an hour.

Your a little freaky(paraniod) aren't cha... Fuck I be more worried about cugars then forces sodamie... And there are hundereds of dirt roads that go noware in central/eastern, and in western oregon... I got a drive way and floor/couch/extra bedroom in eugen too; its open to any one passing trough, although eugene is not really half way...

I've bivied 3 times going through OR on the way to CA. All of them were fine and only one cost a lil cash.

1) rest stop just north of Eugene. Slept in back of truck and snoozed fine, although I don't sleep in reststops without a bivy partner.

2) poached a bivy at an RV campground in Myrtle Creek cause the gas station was closed. Got in late and left early.

3) Conned the woman at the Super8 in a little town N of Eugene to give us a great deal ($29) for a room. Asked if she had a poor student rate, she gave us the military deal. Raining outside and not driving a vehicle we could bivy in...

Fejas' deal sounds pretty darned good. Maybe I'll do that next time.

Scary, I'm involved in like 3 or 4 of these stories?

My worst, also in OR. Pulled off hwy very late and very cold. Step out of car onto a hoof and leg. Turn my headlamp on to piss on nearby tire pile. Not a tire pile, but a pile of bloating carcasses. Horrified, I turn aroudn and find myself surrounded by dead cows, deer, and snafflehounds in various states of decay and dismemberment. Too tired to move, I put noseplugs in and kept one eye open till dawn. hellno3d.gif

Gettin' it from both sides . . .

Partner and I headed to Boulder, wanted to sleep near the border of one of the Dakota's and Wyoming.

Pulled off and found a little park on a lake with a boat launch and picnic table. Fell asleep quickly.

The high school kids decide that this is where the kegger will be and about 100 or so pull up. Unlike my high school parties where the music was loud and the talking quiet, they started some native american chants.

No way to sleep. We left and drove down the road.

The next likely place we find is a park commemorating Custer's last stand. We again fall asleep quickly. 5:30 in the morning rolls around and a bunch of busses pull up with what appear to be military school cadets. A speach on the battle with loudspeakers once again prevented sleep.

We left.