access questions

glassgowkiss

hey, i have 3 access questions:

1. there is supposed to be a company flying a fixed wing aircraft (plane not a chopper) into Waddington area- any ideas?

2.how is a winter access to Old Settlers?

3.how is the winter access to Anderson River Peaks (would it be even worth going there in winter?)

thanks for info, no spray please- ciao- r

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The company that flies to Waddington is Glacier Air out of Squamish. There is an airstrip about a mile north of town. I used them about 7 years ago. The cost per person was roughly $450. There were three of us that flew into the Tiedaman Glacier in April to climb The Wadd, Combatant, Tiedeman, and do a ton of skiing. The pilot flew a Cessna 210, if my memory serves me right. It took one trip in and two trips out because the glacier was a bit sloppy. On the way out we had a very interesting flight as the engine sputtered because we were running on empty. The pilot didn't take in account that he would have to fly half of the gear and group down to a hard runway at Scar Creek and go back for the other person and gear. Other than that we had a great climbing trip. We climb everything we intended on to during the trip, weather was great.

tyax near gold bridge also flies fixed wing ski plane.

winter access to the old settler sucks. i dont think its even had a winter ascent. you are looking at at least 20km of snow covered logging road.

anderson access is ditto with gates. best way in would be via skis from zupjok peak area via zopkios pullout avoiding the areas they bomb for avvy control. there is some nice potential for winterstuff on N side of Yak.

pc said:

The company that flies to Waddington is Glacier Air out of Squamish. There is an airstrip about a mile north of town. I used them about 7 years ago. The cost per person was roughly $450. There were three of us that flew into the Tiedaman Glacier in April to climb The Wadd, Combatant, Tiedeman, and do a ton of skiing. The pilot flew a Cessna 210, if my memory serves me right. It took one trip in and two trips out because the glacier was a bit sloppy. On the way out we had a very interesting flight as the engine sputtered because we were running on empty. The pilot didn't take in account that he would have to fly half of the gear and group down to a hard runway at Scar Creek and go back for the other person and gear. Other than that we had a great climbing trip. We climb everything we intended on to during the trip, weather was great.

Hahahaha! yelrotflmao.gif

I was just about to say that sounds exactly like my trip to Waddington, then I realized who you were... wazzup.gif

The plane was a Cessna 185, May, 1998. Still the most interesting/stressfull plane ride I've ever been on. The pilot wouldn't talk to us since he was stressed out and I remember that we barely cleared the trees at Scar Creek. We were so low on fuel I figured we'd have to make a forced landing on some icecap on the way back to Squamish.

50498-mw2-34.jpg

The famed 185 on the Tiedemann Glacier. (See pilot in background taking a leak.) yellaf.gif

Tod,

I don't think I ever showed you any of my Alaska photos. You would get a kick out of the ski tracks left on the top of the Rooster Comb. Paul and a couple of pilots had, at the time, a little game of putting the most interesting ski tracks on peaks in the range. We did a touch and go on the top of the Rooster Comb. A very eye opening experience when you here the stall warning going off touching the top of the peak and then gliding off the north side. Fun Fun.............

I have a question on the logging roads and logging trucks around Harrison. Anyone know if trucks are running up and down the east side of the lake, and then up Clear Creek road these days? Thinking of going up there during the week in the next few weeks or so and because it's a weekday I was wondering if there is much of a logging truck hazard there. Any numbers to call to find out or does anyone just know the answer. Dru?

frm bc4x4.com

Due to all the recent heavy rain, the East Harrison Forest Service Road and the Florence Lake Forest Service Road are now closed due to several severe road and bridge washouts. Crews are working on repairs however it will probably be at least a full week before the roads are open to public vehicles again.

Please make their jobs easier by staying out of these areas until all repairs are complete.

thanks!

• 4 weeks later...