This is stupid...'bout as stupid as it gets...

RuMR

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is marketing bullshit to the extreme!!!!

first of all- how strong is she? first of all last summer i watched this kid- Kinga Ociepka pulling down on some 8a's (13b for all you untravelled punters). she is also 15, btw way better looking then torri. second, there are a lot of women pulling down hard in europe. third- show me a hard alpine route she managed to pull off. wtf? before she calls herself the best all around Katherine Desteville must die somewhere, Lynn has to kick the bucket and the list goes on. there are women pulling down on 8c+, somehow i don't see her winning world cup comps or doing 14c's. fucking x-games are pure bullshit, since they are invitational and the injvitations are based not on actual ranking, but on who blew whoom. this is pathetic. wazzup.gif

where does it say that she is a champion? i've had a close look at her website and there is no reference to that statement. it does say that she is a gifted athlete. she also trains quite hard at the sports she does.

i could find no evidence of her puffing up her abilities.

btw all the proceeds from her book go to charity and she tithes annually. that's more that i can say.

what i detect here are blasts of jealousy. she seems like a nice kid. a kid who has some talents, goes to high school and has goals for herself. i respect and admire that and wish that more kids were like her. we'd all be better off.

jefffski said:

where does it say that she is a champion? i've had a close look at her website and there is no reference to that statement. it does say that she is a gifted athlete. she also trains quite hard at the sports she does.

btw all the proceeds from her book go to charity and she tithes annually. that's more that i can say.

what i detect here are blasts of jealousy. she seems like a nice kid. a kid who has some talents, goes to high school and has goals for herself. i respect and admire that and wish that more kids were like her. we'd all be better off.

Word. Far be it for me to talk shit about a 15 year old cranking 13s. I wasn't even climbing until I was almost eight years older than the was. She may burn out, she may turn into a well rounded alpinist - who knows. Pretty kick ass accomplishments for a 15 year old IMO.

jefffski said:

Look at the web page again. It says right at the top

"She climbs like a girl...A girl monkey. All around champion climber."

Face it that web site is a bunch of overmarketing bullshit. Now be a good sheep jeff and return to your stupid job, don't forget to consume what you're told you need, and don't make any waves. wazzup.gif

iain said:

onsighting 13's - makes you wonder how many kids out there could be cranking like this...high strength/weight ratio, minimal irrational fear, quick recovery, flexibility, an open mind...not bad traits at all for sport climbing.

Are we set for the invasion of the Eastern block sport climbers?

I think it's great that she can pull 13's, and has accomplished what she has, but "all-around climbing champion"? That's rediculous! She climbed the Nose at 12, but how did she climb it? Where did someone see the info that she just jugged up following a Yos hardman? That and the fact that she onsited a 13a at Red River Gorge are the ONLY non-competition climbing accomplishments listed on the website. Other than that she's just done well at competitions. I hardly think that qualifies her as an "all-around climbing champion".

iain said:

onsighting 13's - makes you wonder how many kids out there could be cranking like this...high strength/weight ratio, minimal irrational fear, quick recovery, flexibility, an open mind...not bad traits at all for sport climbing.

When I first started climbing 4 years ago I helped a friend and mentore teach climbing to middle school aged kids. It was alot of fun, and the best climbers in the class were the girls and boys who had not yet developed. It reminds me of gymnastics. We will see how well she climbs after she matures. Lynn Hill has continued to do well and totaly crank. So who knows. I dislike the marketing personaly, but that is just my oppinon.

Well I guess who cares? The website is nauseating, but to the general public she's a champ, and more power to her (or her parents) for cashing in. hahaha.gif Just look at edviesturs.com. He's found a way to make a living doing what he likes, even if it means pumping out the cheesy marketing stuff. To most people Vertical Limit was a great movie too, and that's just the way it is and always will be with climbing. And if you are winning competitions are you not a champion?

iain said:

Well I guess who cares? The website is nauseating, but to the general public she's a champ, and more power to her (or her parents) for cashing in. hahaha.gif Just look at edviesturs.com. He's found a way to make a living doing what he likes, even if it means pumping out the cheesy marketing stuff. To most people Vertical Limit was a great movie too, and that's just the way it is and always will be with climbing. And if you are winning competitions are you not a champion?

it is non of my business, it is between tori and her family. again, I think that it will all come out in the wash, as she grows up and matures. It will be interesting to see if she is being put under a great deal of pressure, or if she is truely choosing this for herself. I wouldn'tbe so prusumtious as to call it either way.

Iain's comment about Ed Viesturs just got me thinking... It always really impresses me when someone takes a sport that they enjoy and makes a living doing it. That says to me that they are really passionate about it. Personally, I have found that if I want to continue to enjoy a sport, I need to separate my work and play.(That topic could almost use its own thread... but I'm sure its been discussed before!) But as far as this little chica goes... she doesn't really even need to be making a living at 15. Actually, more like she's making a living for nike and oakley CEOs. I always feel bad for these kid superstars. Do you wonder if they ever just want to mix in with the crowd? I'm sure this was her choice, so more power to her. But I'll be suprised if we're still hearing about her in another 5 years...

adventuregal said:

Iain's comment about Ed Viesturs just got me thinking... It always really impresses me when someone takes a sport that they enjoy and makes a living doing it. That says to me that they are really passionate about it. Personally, I have found that if I want to continue to enjoy a sport, I need to separate my work and play.(That topic could almost use its own thread... but I'm sure its been discussed before!) But as far as this little chica goes... she doesn't really even need to be making a living at 15. Actually, more like she's making a living for nike and oakley CEOs. I always feel bad for these kid superstars. Do you wonder if they ever just want to mix in with the crowd? I'm sure this was her choice, so more power to her. But I'll be suprised if we're still hearing about her in another 5 years...

don't forget her parents... I am sure that taking care of tori's need is a ful time job. rolleyes.gif the possabiloity exsits that they are 'stage parents'

in the past, i made a living as a pro in a sport i love. i don't love it so much anymore. my passion for it waned and eventually i gave it up. no i'm a casual participant, on my own terms.

we don't even know what her intentions are. maybe she see the opportunity to make some $$$ now and has no intentions of making a career of it. maybe she'll burn out and come back to it later. maybe she'll find some other activity that fuels her later. in the mean time, as cheesy as this may be, it's a far cry from being the worst thing out there. hopefully she'll make the most of this opportunity and i can't see slamming her for it.

as muffy said earlier, i'd rather see girl's playing with this than barbie. if the worst thing that happens to you all day is that you have become aware of this doll's existence or see it at REI consider yourself lucky. rolleyes.gif

specialed said:

minx said:

in the past, i made a living as a pro in a sport i love. i don't love it so much anymore. my passion for it waned and eventually i gave it up. no i'm a casual participant, on my own terms.

Hot Bikini Oil Wrestling doesn't count as a pro sport Minx. shocked.gif

yelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gif

it sooooooooo does to count! we had championships and i got paid hahaha.gifevils3d.gif

ChrisT said:

adventuregal said:

Muffy_The_Wanker_Sprayer said:

the possabiloity exsits that they are 'stage parents'

most likely... rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

more power to the whole family then. I'm sure they wouldn't even be in it if they didn't want to...

I totaly disagree Chris There are laws about child labor for a reason. We bring our children into the world to love them, not so they will pony up and pay our bills.