Silveretta 404's vs. 500's

Paco

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know the actual weight difference but the 500's feel way lighter. They seem more flimsy than the 404s with all the plastic and carbon fiber but I have not had problems with the 500s and have taken some serious diggers in them. I did rip off a ski brake on one when it caught on something, leaving a little tear in the carbon fiber pole, but it has not been an issue. The release is nothing like an alpine binding when you use invernos, so crash with care and crank down the din when you switch to invernos.. They work fine with my AT boots too. Whatever happens do not get in the back seat when skiing invernos. You will be punished immediately and severely hahaha.gif For approach skis, I think the 500s are great.

The 404 isn't exactly the same as the 500. They are similar, but they release differently when you take a fall. The 404 slides apart requiring one to put it back together. The 500 is easier to get back on right away with. If cost is a factor, the 404 works well and can be gotten much cheaper than the 500.

I have the 404's my partner has the 500's they both seem good the 500's are light and a pound is quite a bit in my world.

The thing i thought was differnet and most important is the rear step in. on the 404 i have a metal bar on either side of my foot that attaches to the plastic step in on my rear end of my foot then goes down to the base plate. This whole entire piece comes out of the binding when I bail, as was mentioned earlier. But I heard that the metal pieces break quite easily and most people carry a spare, cost 75$ i think for the entire rear step in, this spare may be harder to come by now that the 500's are out. I have never broke one but I weigh 160 and I only use them for approachin climbs.

thats what i heard anyways