• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
Paco

Silveretta 404's vs. 500's

Any thoughts?

I'm looking for a pair of approach skis for use around the Pacific Northwest and Alaska that'll clip into my Scarpa Inverno's.

I don't know the actual weight difference but the 500's feel way lighter. They seem more flimsy than the 404s with all the plastic and carbon fiber but I have not had problems with the 500s and have taken some serious diggers in them. I did rip off a ski brake on one when it caught on something, leaving a little tear in the carbon fiber pole, but it has not been an issue. The release is nothing like an alpine binding when you use invernos, so crash with care and crank down the din when you switch to invernos.. They work fine with my AT boots too. Whatever happens do not get in the back seat when skiing invernos. You will be punished immediately and severely hahaha.gif For approach skis, I think the 500s are great.

The 404 isn't exactly the same as the 500. They are similar, but they release differently when you take a fall. The 404 slides apart requiring one to put it back together. The 500 is easier to get back on right away with. If cost is a factor, the 404 works well and can be gotten much cheaper than the 500.

I have the 404's my partner has the 500's they both seem good the 500's are light and a pound is quite a bit in my world.

The thing i thought was differnet and most important is the rear step in. on the 404 i have a metal bar on either side of my foot that attaches to the plastic step in on my rear end of my foot then goes down to the base plate. This whole entire piece comes out of the binding when I bail, as was mentioned earlier. But I heard that the metal pieces break quite easily and most people carry a spare, cost 75$ i think for the entire rear step in, this spare may be harder to come by now that the 500's are out. I have never broke one but I weigh 160 and I only use them for approachin climbs.

thats what i heard anyways