The Bellingham Climbing Scene Sucks

layton

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A nice gym would be a real asset that could bring in many of us locals that aren't thrilled about the Y or Leading Edge. I agree that Carlos put his heart and sole into the Magic Mountain project, but didn’t always make the best business decisions. For one, he picked a highly visible, but high-rent downtown location. For another, almost every time I was there, some dude would stroll in and announce “just bouldering” as a (successful) justification for not paying. Carlos wanted to be friends with everyone and the gym had a great feel, but he had barely enough $ to get the gym built, so he was on financial thin ice from the git go. I think somebody could make it work now if they had a little stronger financial plan.

a simple way to get help is to alow free membership to a few people and have em work a few hrs a week, like 10-15 per week for a

That's actually a terrible business plan. If you can't make enough to pay employees, along with their overhead expenses, taxes, and workers comp, you can't really make it as a business or justify the substantial investment a viable gym requires. It's great to start a cool business, but being in business really is about making a profit, not providing a social service.