The Bellingham Climbing Scene Sucks

layton

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"We need: giant earth movers to excate [sic the_finger.gif] Squamish and move it here and transport all the hippies to squamish"

Umm, they have already started doing that. Drove by yesterday and they are gonna have to blow a whole bunch of rock out of that place to widen that road.

snaf.gifsnaf.gif

They were clearing out trees and brush by 69 and Leviticus for demolition as well... cry.gif

I agree. The B'Ham scene BLOWS. Terrible location, nothing to do close by, basically an awful launching off point for PNW and Canadian climbing. And the worst part is that there is no local crag clogged with annoying climbers spraying about all the routes they've done. Pretty lame, I'd never move 3500 miles to live there...

I agree. The B'Ham scene BLOWS. Terrible location, nothing to do close by, basically an awful launching off point for PNW and Canadian climbing. And the worst part is that there is no local crag clogged with annoying climbers spraying about all the routes they've done. Pretty lame, I'd never move 3500 miles to live there...

**ahem** You mean Here, my ubiquitous friend... wave.gif

But is there an REI there to go scream at when you've had a bad day?? confused.gif

Fuck all the unfaithful, stay in Seattle if its soo fucking hard core. Just dont come up here when it pukes 36" in 24 hrs. Got to go- headed down to Index for the day- see you faggots there! (probably not) hahaha.gif

yeah, what he said ya fucking wankers!

• 2 weeks later...

I really enjoy living in Bellingham. Its a nice central location for lots of climbing areas without the stress and traffic of Seattle or Vancouver B.C. If you like enjoy Mt. biking and skiing you can not go wrong. The Mt. biking in Bham is great there are more than 3-4 biking shops with people who actually know what they are talking about. When it comes to climbing the scene in Bham is a bit more limited. The employees at REI know nothing about climbing. I asked for a #3 camalot and the guy gave me a puzzles look and handed me 3 #2 Camalots. The Y is ok for a workout but every time I go there and work the routes I hurt the next day in a bad way. For some reason my fingers and large toes feel tweaked. The other delema with the Y has limited hours. I have gone to the Y to climb only to find I had to wait on a list before I could climb or they canceled the certified climb time to accomidate a birthday party of 10 yeear olds.

I have been playing around with the idea of starting a climbing shop and gym in Bellingham. My main reservation is revolves around if there is a large enough critical mass of climbers to make it work? My calculations reveal I would need at least 200 members paying 40-50 dollars a month to fund a fun medium sized gym to make a profit. A small bouldering gym and climbing shop is another option but lacks enough steady revenue to be profitable enough to attract investors or a SBA loan.

Any comments are welcome.

Edited by Mtnclimber

You should totaly go for it Mtnclimber thumbs_up.gif! My girlfriend and I toyed with this idea but decided to wait at least until she finishes her grad school. The demographic research shows that outdoor sales in Wa are down in the last five to eight years. These cycles are historicaly ten years long. But I have a hunch that technical climbing could be an exception. The sport seems to be blowing up. You'll know what I mean when you think about how many climbers you are seeing in the hills compared to ten years ago (which is the limit of my experience).

But when you ask any climber in Bellingham where they go for gear, the ones who don't bow there head in shame when the say "REI" tell you that AAI's limited selection sends them to Fethered Friends, the point-and-click realm or other non-local options. No offence to AAI. I know they are more about the guiding service and the retail store is probably just there for guide stock and for clients to pick up last minute items

We all know there are a ton of climbers in B'ham and that climbers are a gear lov'n bunch of freaks! Something like Second Ascent where thoes of us who can't always afford the nice shiny new stuff can still get quality gear at a fair price

I've talked to some gear shop owners about this and might have a little info on how and where to get started on this kind of venture, if you are interested.

Sure give it a try, but expect major failure.

1. there are too many little crappy gyms (three total!) everyone would say, we already have 3 gyms.

2.bellingham climbers are the cheapest mo-fo's you will ever meet. they will not buy shit from your gear shop.

i'd shop there and go to a cool gym, and so would a handfull of other people. but nobody else would.

maybe, maybe in 5 years...?

I have been playing around with the idea of starting a climbing shop and gym in Bellingham. My main reservation is revolves around if there is a large enough critical mass of climbers to make it work?

I doubt most of the people that post here remember that once upon a time there actually WAS a real climbing gym in Bellingham; it was built by myself and one other member of this board who lived in Bellingham at the time, and was run by Carlos H and a cadre of all our climbing friends. From that experience I can tell you that it is possible to make the business work, but only if you realize that your revenue will be coming from birthday parties, day-care climbing events, and other such income and you milk that stuff for all its worth - the income base is not there in Bellingham like it is in Magnolia or Redmond, and the summer months are very very slow for business. On top of that you will be working there full time for a long time, as hired help costs money you probably wont want to part with especially during the Summer months when its slow anyway. Magic Mountain lasted all of what, a year and a half maybe? and not for lack of trying.

Yep, what Alex says. A buddy and I contemplated the same question vis-a-vis Olympia some number of years ago. Ultimately, I came to the conclusion that I would much rather belong to a gym than own and run a gym. Patience paid off, and there's a decent small gym downtown, and yes, parties and school connections are a significant piece of the income puzzle. My daughter's middle school does PE classes down there in the winter. thumbs_up.gif Many of those kids now have memberships as well.

So how can the b-ham climbing scene be improved if a new gym/shop aint the answer? is it just not possible without a b-ham specific crag?

Tuesday-night spray fests at Banditos?

I guess I can keep giving out WWU ID cards for whoever wants free access to the fitness center and campus climbing gym.

Yeeeeeahhhhh! Go Bellevue!

P.S. Wait... what climbing scene? Probably just a bunch of posers all about modeling the latest harnesses than actual hard-core climbers.

Bellevue climbers need stiff gear loops on their harnesses.. where else can you stash your Grande Caramel Latte when bouldering?