The Bellingham Climbing Scene Sucks

layton

Bellingham as a place however rules!

Do any of you bellingham posters know each other? I'd bet that most of us don't. I've never been to a more disenfranched climbing community. Why?

I think it's b/c we have no local crag or climbing hang out. Yes, I know what your gonna say but: TheLeading Edge, YMCA, Larabee, Gov Lister(especially), Bat Caves, Baker crags, AAI, Base Camp, and REI all suck some serious ass compared to most other climbing town shops or crags.

Let's do something about this!

We need: giant earth movers to excate Squamish and move it here and transport all the hippies to squamish, a nuclear winter to make shit cold, a decent climbing gym (oxymoron?), and a gear shop w/robot employees who don't talk to you.

What I don't think we should do is get together in a basement w/punch and pie to hang out, start any stupid clubs, join the mountaineers, or support local search and rescue.

The reason for this slanderous post is because I keep meeting climbers around here I've just met or ever seen again, or get asked "oh, do you know so and so, he/she climbs too?" and have no idea who they are talking about.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by michael_layton:

Do any of you bellingham posters know each other? I'd bet that most of us don't. I've never been to a more disenfranched climbing community. Why?

I think it's b/c we have no local crag or climbing hang out. Yes, I know what your gonna say but: TheLeading Edge, YMCA, Larabee, Gov Lister(especially), Bat Caves, Baker crags, AAI, Base Camp, and REI all suck some serious ass compared to most other climbing town shops or crags.

Let's do something about this!

We need: giant earth movers to excate Squamish and move it here and transport all the hippies to squamish, a nuclear winter to make shit cold, a decent climbing gym (oxymoron?), and a gear shop w/robot employees who don't talk to you.

What I don't think we should do is get together in a basement w/punch and pie to hang out, start any stupid clubs, join the mountaineers, or support local search and rescue.

The reason for this slanderous post is because I keep meeting climbers around here I've just met or ever seen again, or get asked "oh, do you know so and so, he/she climbs too?" and have no idea who they are talking about.

man...its cause everyone would rather SPRAY about climbing than go... [laf][laf][laf][laf]

Yu Gawda be kiddin'!

I live in B-town and climb regularly... Just did the springboard yesterday at Mt. Erie.

Go Climb more! Talk less!

Props to : Aaron, Andy, Coley, Seth, Tim, and Andrew Wex @ AAI<<<<<<<<<<REAL F-ING MEN

BUT.......what's up with the short Korean dude (Matt?) with the Napolean complex at the Leading edge? He should take sewing classes and quit climbing.

Word up Ya'll

I may be wrong, but I think a few Bellingham climbing alumni include Steve House, Eli Helmuth, Alan Kearney, Scott DeCapio, and Steve Mascioli. The place must have something worthwhile going on.

i'll agree with you on that one...the bham scene is weak......

just like every other towin in the world.....

then the towns that have all the cool stuff must have something going on??? maybe it is what every individual person makes it......

that is why tacoma is the best city in the state hands down.....cause i make it that way.....i take the best from what i know and go with it....all the other b.s. is just that....

if you think the scene is lame change it...your post is a good start.....but it can't be left at that......

quote:

Originally posted by erik:
then the towns that have all the cool stuff must have something going on??? maybe it is what every individual person makes it......

sorry i just had to get my name dropping in for the day... rolleyes.gif" border="0

B'Ham blows dead donk. I'd never live there. I had a "burrito" one time at this place called "Casa Ahora", and I swear, it had a chunk of dreadlock in it, and patchouli stains on the outside. The chick that "cooked" it looked like a cross between Rhasta Fonzie and Ray Bradbury's Illustrated Man, only with a bone through her nose and seeping nostril piercings. I also had a "Margarita", which was like drinking a $7 glass of water. Weak.

Climbing scene? I don't think anyone in that town climbs, far as I can tell. There isn't jack up there to climb anyways. I went to the "climbing wall" at the Y up there once, some "scene". There were these two retards there, Mick and Jason I think, that looked like they may have gone out of doors once, and all they did was spray. I'm talking about heretofore unknown depths of spray depravity. Scum.

Try going into one of the shops up there some time to ask for beta. They look at you like you're speaking Estonian.

"Rope? What's that? Do you have the twelve essentials? You know, those low top approach shoes only serve to put your rescuers in jeopardy when you snap your ankles. You need these $650 thigh-high leather/Kelvar hybrids and a pair of SILK liner socks. SILK. What's a mountain?"

Losers...I'll stay in Seattle, thanks, and keep it waggin' with the true hardmen.

-Dog

Wow! Necronomican is a total dick wad. I met him once sewing up sehome hill boulders with the local search and rescue. Then the mountaineer came by and kicked his ass. He was cast out of bellingham years ago. He bought ten trail passes and puts them on cars at trailheads like, "Rowdy Ranchero" does for parking meters.

Then at band camp when we were top-roping the sand travers at larabee he raped my girlfriend and shat in her mouth. He tried to get a job at base-camp once, but he only asked, "can I help you" seven times to a customer and only wore thirteen pieces of flair.

Buttlicker!

quote:

Then at band camp when we were top-roping the sand travers at larabee he raped my girlfriend and shat in her mouth.

Wow, he IS an asshole! Now that kind of behavior is where I draw the line. [geek]

Whoa!

Necro, dude as in one of my other posts. Uptightness is eventually going to choke the planet to death. In the words of great philosopher: Rodney King- "cant we all just get along?" As for me, I lived in Seattle and commuted 2x weekly to B'ham. The rain made me sick in the head so I moved to Blahzee/Blase'. I think that is the problem up there. The climbing scene here has greatly improved now with my prescence.

quote:

I think it's b/c we have no local crag or climbing hang out. Yes, I know what your gonna say but: TheLeading Edge, YMCA, Larabee, Gov Lister(especially), Bat Caves, Baker crags, AAI, Base Camp, and REI all suck some serious ass compared to most other climbing town shops or...

dude, quite your bitchin'- you just listed 8 places! Ellensburg has an 8' x 15' foot climbing wall! Wah, wah, wah

quote:

Originally posted by Necronomicon:
I went to the "climbing wall" at the Y up there once, some "scene". There were these two retards there, Mick and Jason I think, that looked like they may have gone out of doors once, and all they did was spray.

I'd agree with Charlie on this one. I went to the Y wall quite a bit when I lived there, and for how much it costs (nothing!), it's pretty frickin good! Yeah, sometimes you have to stomp on some little kids to do your traversing, and sometimes you have wear a respirator from all the funk-dust, but it's free. Ok, it's only free if you have a membership (pretty cheap) or volunteer (easy and makes girls think your a good dude. The bottom line is the place has a pretty good value.

I think that Bellingham lacks a certain element to their climbing scene. I agree that the shops are small and the selection is limited, but I think what it is, is a gym. The Y? give me a break, and then there's the "LEADING EDGE"!! Piece of shit. It's small, and you have to compete with the 6 year old tumbling class for time with the mats. I think that the gymnastic team has a rock climbing problem and they should give it up and get a real f*cking rock climbing gym here. Something that you can lead on, that has routes that people are actually inclined to use ropes on because the walls ARE tall enough and has some good cracks to climb so that we don't have to dig up squamish and move it down here. There really isn't a place in bellingham where a climber can climb all year round.

Oh, yeah. Tacoma rocks. Strip malls, homeless crack addicts and a crime rate that makes Detroit feel like Bismarck, ND. Have you lived anywhere else, eri©k? Try Olympia, Spokane or, God forbid, Colville; then describe (snicker) Tacoma as heaven on earth. I gotta think that B'ham ought to have a climbing scene-shit the closest rock I have is Fossil, and calling that rock is giving rock a bad name. Kinda like Poison and Ratt did in the eighties, without the hair, and with more stones. At least you're close to Shuksan, Baker and Squamish.

I've seen "Trashk" and "Charlie" staking' out the 'lil girls at the leadin' edge and the lil' boys at the "y" with rubber gloves and ether. All the "whinning" and "I like boys" flames they've pathetically thrown at me were really to put the authorities off their trail and onto mine. I've heard their screams of terror and delight. Or maybe they're intimitated by that hard E3 Eerie route.

And with that, I gotta take a crap. Then it's off to Casa with a bottle of tequilla and a rusty nail in a board to clean up this town. Anyone who wants to join the rebelion to get some good climbing 'round here or at least admit that eerie sucks (although your right, not as bad as ellensburg) can join my vigilante group. You gotta be able to swing a sack of doornobs though. We'll take care of the Leavenworth ranger district bastards next!

Anyway, pinchie can't hold off that loaf much longer,

Viva la revolution.

quote:

Originally posted by Biff:
Oh, yeah. Tacoma rocks. Strip malls, homeless crack addicts and a crime rate that makes Detroit feel like Bismarck, ND. Have you lived anywhere else, eri©k? Try Olympia, Spokane or, God forbid, Colville; then describe (snicker) Tacoma as heaven on earth. I gotta think that B'ham ought to have a climbing scene-shit the closest rock I have is Fossil, and calling that rock is giving rock a bad name. Kinda like Poison and Ratt did in the eighties, without the hair, and with more stones. At least you're close to Shuksan, Baker and Squamish.

i make no apologies for what your uncle did to you, but seriously homeboy i would think that you would be abel to figure out my message.....tacoma might have its downfalls but so fuck it, they may have dead bodies 1 block from my house but fuck it, i can concentrate on what i feel is important.....i look towards my friends and peer group and see good people, fun people, positve poeple.....you can go to hell with all the ohter old english cans tonite.................

use your brain