Worst tech

CraigA

So what's the worst/most UNrealistic/blooper climbing action you've ever seen in a movie.

1) The Eiger Sanction-good movie but filled with questionable stuff: When their climbing that pillar and Clint is leading talking to his buddy (below him) and the rope goes UP and back down, mmmmm I wonder who set up that top rope?

2) Then they get to the top and he asks "so are you going to keep talking or bring me up?" So he goes into the whole hip belay but when they show the climber he's using ascenders on a fixed line.

3) Vertical Limit: (the whole movie) but especially the brother who goes from lower elevation to near the summit of K2 in a couple of days....and still has tons of energy to burn. I guess the whole acclimatizing thing is just overrated!!

Craig

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gotta love Vertical Limit with the raging kegger at basecamp with Ed. Also the guy who happens to wind up in the same crevasse as his wife...who was frozen solid years earlier (there wasn't a dry eye in the house).

How about Tom Cruise's incredible dyno in MI2. He also had a killer Iron Cross move. He does all of this free solo as he shrugs off near death slips with a smirk.

Hmmm, worst Tech ever? That's a toughie, but I'm going to make it a tie between Palleas and Mellisande at Seattle Opera, 1993. Dale Chihuly's debut as a set designer, among other follies. Number two in the tie-up is the Fifth Avenue's Wizard of Oz, later that same year. Highlights include the most grievances ever filed by a stage crew, probably in the history of the universe, and having an actress pass out on a Foy wire after the director kept her on the wire while he did some blocking changes. Whoops.

Oh wait, never mind.

The bolt gun, definitely the bolt gun. hahaha.gif

That film with Spencer Tracy and Robert Wagner: The scene is where they are descending and Robert Wagner is wigging out and takes the "other" snow bridge which of course collapses taking him and his booty to an icy, karmic grave.

I'd say the best is the movie El Capitan with the clip of (I think it was) Gary Colliver hopping around on the edge of either the Dolt or El Cap Tower bivy ledge trying to get into his potato sack bivy bag only to find that he isn't clipped into anything.

marylou said:

Hmmm, worst Tech ever? That's a toughie, but I'm going to make it a tie between Palleas and Mellisande at Seattle Opera, 1993. Dale Chihuly's debut as a set designer, among other follies. Number two in the tie-up is the Fifth Avenue's Wizard of Oz, later that same year. Highlights include the most grievances ever filed by a stage crew, probably in the history of the universe, and having an actress pass out on a Foy wire after the director kept her on the wire while he did some blocking changes. Whoops.

Oh wait, never mind.

Oh yeah, NO ONE KNOWS WHAT THE FUCK YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT, so it's NOT FUNNY TO ANYONE BUT YOU.

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

DFA heard about some straight-to-video "adventure" movie set in and about Smith Rock, which came out sometime in the mid '90s, 'bout the time "extreme sports" were entering the public eye in a big way (and were being referred to as "extreme").

In the flick, some group of highschool or college aged kids somehow gets in trouble on a river trip (guide/leader drowns or something?) in the middle of the wilderness, and is forced to climb out to safety (for some reason). Apparently this final climbing climax took place on Rope-de-Dope block (no way around that imposing monolith but up and over, no sir), and featured one reluctant loser handing the rack to his more courageous compatriot, admonishing that "it's your funeral." yelrotflmao.gif The savage Rope-de-Dope Crack has such a well-earned reputation for causing carnage, havoc, and trauma, don'tcha know.

Marylou,

I know what you're talking about and I found it funny...

Everybody else,

Has anybody seen the movie, "Take it to the Limit"? This timeless classic of stupidity may even take the cake over that other "Limit" movie. Perhaps my favorite scene is when a bunch of small town hicks get super psyched to go toproping. In fact they even begin to slap one another with high fives while yelling, "yeah man, toproping!"

In another scene, a teenage boy is left on top of a water tower by his friends who brought him climbing. Apparently the water tower had better climbing than the local crag. The kid's uncle shows up a little while later, having climbed up to the top of the tower in a pair of rock shoes and lycra tights.

Oh and did I mention the "Take it to the Limit" rap that plays every time they go climbing?

With scenes like these, the movie just can't be beat.

Jason

Jason_Martin said:

Marylou,

I know what you're talking about and I found it funny...

Everybody else,

Has anybody seen the movie, "Take it to the Limit"? This timeless classic of stupidity may even take the cake over that other "Limit" movie. Perhaps my favorite scene is when a bunch of small town hicks get super psyched to go toproping. In fact they even begin to slap one another with high fives while yelling, "yeah man, toproping!"

In another scene, a teenage boy is left on top of a water tower by his friends who brought him climbing. Apparently the water tower had better climbing than the local crag. The kid's uncle shows up a little while later, having climbed up to the top of the tower in a pair of rock shoes and lycra tights.

Oh and did I mention the "Take it to the Limit" rap that plays every time they go climbing?

With scenes like these, the movie just can't be beat.

Jason

damn! i'm renting that tonight! after pounding abour 30 beers! hahaha! bigdrink.gifrockband.gif

Jason

I did see that movie about a year ago and it cracked me up beyond what I could believe!

I liked the training board that had holes in the wood for holds, and the timed climbing with ropes on class 2 terrain.

Too much, I think we should do a pub club at someones house and show it. I knw a friend that has a home theatre that fits about 22 people, that could be a good fundraiser eh?

Dr_Flash_Amazing said:

DFA heard about some straight-to-video "adventure" movie set in and about Smith Rock, which came out sometime in the mid '90s, 'bout the time "extreme sports" were entering the public eye in a big way (and were being referred to as "extreme").

In the flick, some group of highschool or college aged kids somehow gets in trouble on a river trip (guide/leader drowns or something?) in the middle of the wilderness, and is forced to climb out to safety (for some reason). Apparently this final climbing climax took place on Rope-de-Dope block (no way around that imposing monolith but up and over, no sir), and featured one reluctant loser handing the rack to his more courageous compatriot, admonishing that "it's your funeral." yelrotflmao.gif The savage Rope-de-Dope Crack has such a well-earned reputation for causing carnage, havoc, and trauma, don'tcha know.

You're not referring to "White Wolves II" are you?