skaha and french ratings

glassgowkiss

hey, i did buy a guide for skaha. climbed there before a couple of times. i just noticed the author is using YDS, you know 5.somethin (fine) and for sport routes french scale. now, maybe i just had bad luck, but the routes were WAAAAY off as far as french scale. i mean "blade runner" 7a+ hellno3d.gif, wings od desire 6c+????? hellno3d.gif, wings of steel 7b+??. i mean 7b+ at any decent crag in europe is no-giveaway. if that route is 7b+, churning at smith would be 8a or 8a+!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

glassgowkiss said:

hey, i did buy a guide for skaha. climbed there before a couple of times. i just noticed the author is using YDS, you know 5.somethin (fine) and for sport routes french scale. now, maybe i just had bad luck, but the routes were WAAAAY off as far as french scale. i mean "blade runner" 7a+ hellno3d.gif, wings od desire 6c+????? hellno3d.gif, wings of steel 7b+??. i mean 7b+ at any decent crag in europe is no-giveaway. if that route is 7b+, churning at smith would be 8a or 8a+!

I don't know nuthin about french grades frown.gif so this might be off topic.

Howie Richardson's Skaha Rockclimbs (2003) has sport & trad routes listed in YDS, 'cept he calls it Yosemite Dumbass System. I guess he recognizes the limitations of a grading system.

He has Blade Runner listed as 5.12a, fer instance. Richardson's previous edition had French for sport and +/- for gear routes.

Richardson says:

Grades will never be anything more than a rough subjective indicator of difficulty.

and this:

My intent is to try and avoid sand-bagging a first time visitor.

is that French system still in the new edition of the

richardson guide that came out a few months back?

French grades don't mean much to me, nor I think many of the

people who climb at Skaha. But if they are going to be in the

book they should at least be accurate. You are probably one

of few local people with the international experience to make

the call of accurate french grades in that book. Are you

going to set Howie straight? thumbs_up.gif

Why isn't this n te rock climbing thread?

FYI, Wings of Desire is listed in Richardson (2003) as 5.11b & Wings of Steel as 5.12d. Looks like 5.11b is between French 6C, 6C+. 12d is approximately equivalent to 7C so it looks like the rating on Wings of Steel was listed wrong(?) in your guide.

I don't climb at that level but seems that Richardson gave a reasonable answer to why he listed the ratings as given.

Edited by scrambler

scrambler said:

Why isn't this n te rock climbing thread?

FYI, Wings of Desire is listed in Richardson (2003) as 5.11b & Wings of Steel as 5.12d. Looks like 5.11b is between French 6C, 6C+. 12b is approximately equivalent to 7C so it looks like the rating on Wings of Steel was listed wrong(?) in your guide.

Ummm...French 7b equates to 12b...7c is 12d...and as bob is saying 7b+ in buoux or or ceuse is bitchass hard....

fucking a 7b+ is hard! and the reason i didn't put this topic into rock climbing "forskin" (i mean forum) is because it is spray. grin.gif

so anyway, the points i am making are:

too many places with soft grades

don't use rating system that you don't know

churning in the wake= about 7c, darkness hard 7b+/7c, rude boys= 8a, chain reaction, go dog go about 7b (hard)

time's up 7c+.