Enchantments Oct. 8

Norman_Clyde

I made it to Lake Viviane before being turned back by weather. I had decided against the loop idea, mainly because I didn't want to spend 8 of 24 miles on roads, and was uncertain how far up I'd be able to drive to cache a bike. Weather was more or less clear at the trailhead at 7:30, clouded up within an hour, rain began at Nada Lake, intensified at Snow Lakes, and by Lake Viviane was nearly blizzard conditions with painful ice needles, 50 mph gusts, etc. I was dressed lightly for the weather, so this was enough adventure for one day. Got a few photos but haven't shrunk them to downloadable proportions yet.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sounds like my enchantments experience about this time of year 2 years ago. We actually made camp at one of the highest lakes, after coming up from aasgard pass. During a moment of mental lapse a large gust of wind ripped the tent out along with all 12 stakes that were holding it down. By some miracle my buddy was able to tackle the thing before it blew into one of the partially frozen lakes. Without the tent, it would have been a seriously miserable night. As it was we endured pounding winds and sideways snow. The enchantments are fun when stormy! thumbs_up.gif

I need to go ahead and invest in the all-weather stretch top. I've been leaving the Goretex shell behind on these fast one day trips, carrying a down jacket for emergencies. But a down jacket doesn't help if it's soaked with rain.

Just to get to this spot for a few minutes was worth all the trouble.

5a1a559a2b477_254334-LakeViviane.thumb.jpg.66bf6b25a9ba6ae354504b9afc0be7cc.jpg

Edited by Norman_Clyde

Norman_Clyde said:

I need to go ahead and invest in the all-weather stretch top. I've been leaving the Goretex shell behind on these fast one day trips, carrying a down jacket for emergencies. But a down jacket doesn't help if it's soaked with rain.

Just to get to this spot for a few minutes was worth all the trouble.

Sometimes a few minutes is all you get. I went up there for a three day trip to climb and we got caught in a blasting storm. We knew it was probable so we were prepared. It was really cool to be at the top of Asgard getting pounded. We got out and walked around a lot. We summitted Dragon Tail, Annapurna and who knows what else. To be honest, we could never see more than a few feet around us except for one five minute period. We were on top of Dragontail in extreme conditions. Full down, gortex, etc for the hike. When we got to the top, we had a drink and were about to hightail the hell off of there when a clear pocket appeared almost instantly. We couldn't see down but we could see out to the west over the clouds. Then we saw the wall approach and cover us again. Other than the day coming in, that was the only time we saw the sky.

I did curse myself for not carrying a few more clothes. My pack was so light already that another top and bottom layer would have made little difference. My jacket sleeves were too small to fit over my gloves, and as a result the rain trickled down my arms into them, turning them into not much more than cold water receptacles. Gloves over the sleeves may work for snow, but not for rain.

• 3 weeks later...