Monorail

Peter_Puget

here's what i wrote about the monorail in my column last month-

"A guilty pleasure" by Mike Beck copr. 2003

I have a confession to make. Please forgive me, my admission of this guilty pleasure is a bit difficult for most Seattlites to stomach.

This guilty pleasure overrides my sense of societal decency, so I have to disclose this, get it off my chest.

I ride the monorail regularily, and I like it.

There, I’ve said it. I like the monorail. From my house to the Market takes me all of 10 minutes if I catch the monorail with a close connection and 20 if I don’t. I like it because it’s the closest thing to commuter light rail this city’s got.

As soon as we get a rapid transit system dedicated to moving commuters independant of roadways, Seattle will enter a league of other large cities all over the world that have rapid transit systems. How did Seattle get so far without a system of light rail, or elevated or underground transit thoroughfares more elaborate than the bus tunnel?

Denial of growth by planners. Fake light rails built into the bus tunnel, with full knowledge by project managers and the city’s governing body at the time of construction. The rails were a symbolic gesture of the city’s commitment to transit. If they truly were committed, they would have installed real, workable track.

Follow this with misguided efforts by a pro- development mayor and his attempt to railroad the Olympics on the region. A problem with transit under his administration, funding was directly tied to the Olympic bid to secure fast track federal funding for mass transit projects. No Olympics, no money for light rail, sorry.

At least he got us a couple new stadiums. Too bad the public can’t sail them across Lake Washington during the afternoon commut.

A quick recounting of errors encountered in Seattle’s transportation system can point out a few of the errors. A more wise course for the region is to look ahead, make compromises and get the thing built.

Build two, why not? Light rail AND a monorail. The more community mass transit, the better. Maybe people could commute around the Puget Sound area like you can transit the greater Bay area, or the Boston/ DC / NYC corridors on light rail and local commuter systems. Anyone who has ridden the subways of the East Coast or BART knows the amazing convenience of light rail.

After transit gets built, regional planners need to plan the next phases without resting on their laurels- greater Seattle has a lot of catching up to do. The future is easier to control if it is planned for. What if gas goes to four dollars a gallon, and more people can’t afford to drive their cars to work? What if the reality of polluting by automobile becomes socially unacceptable to more people? What if two million more people move to the Puget Sound region in the next decade?

This editor wonders on our collective ability to rise above our Eyman angst and start living in reality. Cities need mass transit, and lots of it. Sometimes taxes paid to government actually support valuable public works projects. Like mass transit.

The monorail runs 730a.m.-11p.m. M-F , slightly limited hours on S-Su. It runs every 10 minutes and costs $1.50 one way.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

j_b said:

now he runs away. typical trask.

j-b, your continual whining and arguing is wearisome. Changes don't happen over night and definitely won't happen if you aren't willing to put in some effort, but if you can muster even a little cooperation and hope, you may break this vicious argument cycle.

trask said:

j_b said:

now he runs away. typical trask.

j-b, your continual whining and arguing is wearisome. Changes don't happen over night and definitely won't happen if you aren't willing to put in some effort, but if you can muster even a little cooperation and hope, you may break this vicious argument cycle.

cut the crap. we all know what your intent is here and it's not to have an exchange of opinions on topics (as can be seen throughout your posts in this thread).

I need everyone's help out there. I am going to be j_b for a halloween party, and I want to try to be as accurate as possible. I need to know who makes the green trenchcoat that j_b wears while flashing students on University Ave. I also need to know where I can buy it. I hope someone can help me. Thanks.

trask said:

I need everyone's help out there. I am going to be j_b for a halloween party, and I want to try to be as accurate as possible. I need to know who makes the green trenchcoat that j_b wears while flashing students on University Ave. I also need to know where I can buy it. I hope someone can help me. Thanks.

pretty weak. are you trying to rally the avatar mob to do what you can't do by yourself? what a man ...

vegetablebelay said:

j_b said:

trask said:

I wasn't talking to you, I was talking to b_j. Play nice or I'll have to report you. wave.gif

disruption of a thread which he does not like. it must be trask exercising his freedom of speech ... again rolleyes.gif

Just want to point out you're off topic, and you told Trask to fuck off just a bit ago. You've become everything you hate here. wave.gif

self-loathing-homophobic-homosexual-clown puncher. pitty.gif

Fence_Sitter said:

Beck:

commut

i hope you have a good proofer rolleyes.gif what paper do you write for? the West Seattle Middle School? rolleyes.gif

FLMAO! yellaf.gifyellaf.gifyellaf.gif No wonder all the newspapers are going to hell...look who's writing for them! yellaf.gifyellaf.gifyellaf.gif Beck, go drink some of your 'employer's beer'. We all know you live off of food stamps and garbage. The view from your office must be great, the waterfront bum-hangouts are wonderful! rolleyes.gifmoon.gif

Seattle liberals bitchin' about, and evading the very tax they imposed upon themselves via direct democracy! yellaf.gif I LOVE it!

Hey Seattle residents....Pay your tax! You voted for it.

BTW, the "rest of us", in this otherwise great state,don't want to pony up 13 billion $$$ for your new Alaska Way Viaduct. Please vote yourselves a tax on that one too....or just tear the thing down.

My only bitch with the tax is I have to pay it on my chip truck and chipper too. I don't mind paying extra tax for my drivin around vehicle, but they're never going to let me put my truck and chipper on the monorail.

BTW Fairweather the only people really bitching about the tax aren't liberal.