y'all carry a nut wrench?

dkemp

This weekend, for the second time in my short leader career, I got to the bolt hangars at the top to find the nut loose. Not the hangar spinning (I've been told that a spinning hangar is okay) but the nut on the bolt turns - totally loose - I thumb-tightened it. I tried to tighten it with whatever I had at hand - I tried my nut cleaning tool but that didnt fit, I tried the open end of a hex but it wasnt quite the right size. I used the bolt in my TR system after backing it up with gear in a nearby crack.

This happened at Icicle, Clam Shell Cave - route is Noisy Oyster. Happened at Exit 38 a couple months ago.

Do y'all encounter loose bolts often? Perhaps I should carry a nut wrench? It occurs to me that my Metolius brand nut cleaning tool should have a nut wrench built in - maybe I should suggest it to Metolius, eh? If you have a wrench, how tight do ya make it - as tight as you can get it? I dont even own a wrench.

Should I report the loose nut to someone?

Yeesh, I feel like a newbie with this one. Maybe I should stick to snowclimbing!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

hand tighten it and unless you have a wrench forget about it.

grivel offers a nut tool with hex holes in it, tho it is metric so most bolts in the us will not tighten well with it....

just hand tighten them with a little extra at the end.

loose nuts arent a big deal. hand tightening is fine. sounds like you set a yoyo tr after the lead and not being able to see if the nuts are unscrewing is a natural concern. a bit of duct tape will temporarily fix that.

question is: who is the ass still placing wedge type anchors?

Dru said:

AmberBuxom said:

wedge type anchors rock for granite, yo.

5 piece bolts can be removed at a later date so the hole can be reused. and they have a lower profile less likely to snag a carabiner gate open. my nizzle. yo.

AmberBuxom said:

Dru said:

AmberBuxom said:

wedge type anchors rock for granite, yo.

5 piece bolts can be removed at a later date so the hole can be reused. and they have a lower profile less likely to snag a carabiner gate open. my nizzle. yo.

Lummox, you are wrong. I explained it to you last time you posted the same thing. The tip of a 5-piece bolt is almost impossible to retrieve from the hole and drilling through it sucks. A wedge anchor is not that hard to remove and the hole can be oversized and reused. Wedge anchors work fine in good stone.

That said... I do however agree that a 5- piece is still a better choice. In addition to the lower profile "hex", It uses a hardened grade 5 bolt and has way better pull out strength in shitty stone. They are pricier, $1.35ish compared to a wedge at about $.50.

bigdrink.gif