Guitar teacher?

Charlie

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Charlie, you might take a look here: Seattle Circle. Might be expensive, but maybe not. The Seattle Circle House is located in North Seattle (Phinney Ridge area). I once went to a small concert performance there. It literally is a house.

The Seattle Circle is a descendant of Guitar Craft, which was the brainchild of Robert Fripp, he of King Crimson fame. The band called The California Guitar Trio has its roots in Guitar Craft and gives concerts for Seattle Circle. This was the band I saw at the Seattle Circle House.

That's about all I know.

Another less expensive route is to take group lessons through a community college or the UW experimental college. Info on these courses is available online with a quick search for the source school course offerings. Many of the music students at colleges often give lessons on the side. Lessons are good, but the instructor needs to be well matched to the student. An evil instructor can sap the fun out of music and make it an onerous chore. A good instructor figures out what direction the student wants to go and tailors the lessons accordingly. If she's young and just looking to play around, formal classical guitar lessons would probably be a bad choice.

Why go to all the trouble of making a power chord, when you can just use drop D tuning and do:

--|---|---|---|---

--|---|---|---|---

--|---|---|---|---

--|---|---|-x-|---

--|---|---|-x-|---

--|---|---|-x-|---

If it works for Tool, it works for me.

------------------------------------------

---6-5-0-3---0-6-5-0-3--3--3----0---

rockband.gif

Tune the low -E string down a full step to D. This allows you to play the same chord by simply barring the 3 strings. This allows a bit more speed and a full step lower range for that particular chord. Pretty common tuning for Jazz, and folk, and rock, and whatevah.

Shit, maybe I should give the guitar lessons!