Olympic Crags And Sport Routes

MTNEER

Hi All,

I am posting info on access to some areas I memtioned earlier. A few are really obvious. The Hama Hama area is 11+ miles up that road. The Dosi Falls area is equally obvious but it is best to take a bike after the washout. Steeple Rock is about a quarter of the way out to Obstruction Point from Hurricane Ridge. It is best appoached from the east.

Now for the less obvious ones.

Mt.Crag

Access: USFS Road 2620 can be accessed either from The Walker Pass area on Highway 101 or from the Dosiwallips road via Rocky Brook Road. The latter is longer but has a lower pucker factor. By either route you will reach a pass area where you can travel west on the 050 spur. Follow this spur until you reach the ‘Y’ with the 056 spur. Park here and walk west on the decaying 050 spur to the logging platform. Angle upward and west to surmount an intermediate ridge. After you are past this ridge the many faces of the Crag are yours to explore.

Ellinor Towers

Access: Driving direction are the same as for the upper Ellinor trailhead. Take the Big Creek logging road (#2419) for 6.2 miles to spur road #014. On the 014 spur you come to a replanted clearcut on the uphill (west) side of the road. A few hundred yards short of the trailhead you will reach the upper (south) end of the clearcut. Find parking here near where the road crosses the South Fork of Big Creek. Find a way trail on the north side of the creek. The way trail travels through Beargrass meadows, generally paralleling the creek. Near the top of the clearcut, contour around the south end of the large rounded rocks that define the top boundary of the clearcut. Once on the backside, continue to top of the rock. Hiking time to this point is 10 to 20 minutes.

From the top of the Boundary Rock, the other towers are most easily reached by climbing west starting just north of the small boulder field until the top of the small talus field is reached. The other rocks are most easily reached by contouring at this level until below the desired rock and then climbing up the appropriate gully.

Edited by MTNEER

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mt.Crag

Access: USFS Road 2620 can be accessed either from The Walker Pass area on Highway 101 or from the Dosiwallips road via Rocky Brook Road. The latter is longer but has a lower pucker factor. By either route you will reach a pass area where you can travel west on the 050 spur. Follow this spur until you reach the ‘Y’ with the 056 spur. Park here and walk west on the decaying 050 spur to the logging platform. Angle upward and west to surmount an intermediate ridge. After you are past this ridge the many faces of the Crag are yours to explore.

Has anyone been up to this area? I tried to go up there last year but I never found the crags. When you come to the Y mentioned which I presumed was the 50/56 intersection there isn't a sign posted anymore. I had to make a choice with up to the left or straight to the right. I went up, and walked about a mile on the road. Now I think I should have went straight. Can anyone confirm that?

I'm thinking about doing a little exploring this Sunday if the weather cooperates. Would be interested in a partner if anyone would like to check this place out. I have rope/rack and 4wd.

The road numbers are somewhat deceptive. The 56 spur is what appears to be the main road. The 50 road dwindles away to nothing in a little less than a mile. The Y occurs at a large switchback in the road where you can look west from the outside of the turn and see some of the Crag of Mt. Crag. The correct road continues on the west side. With 4WD you can easily drive to the logging platform (now that we cleaned it up a bit). Route finding is something of an issue in getting to the good stuff of the crag. It took me two tries to find the way over the subsiderary ridge. There may be a way to contour into the valley on the east side of the crag from the end of the road, but I haven't tried it with any determination. There is also a route in from the northwest, which I have not found, but doesn't seem to be any easier.

Ok, I think I get it now. What I did was go on what's marked on this map as the 2650 road (the northern red marked road) instead of staying on Buck Mt. Road a little longer to reach 050 (the sothern marked road). So it sounds like my marked route on the south side going more or less directly west is the way to go. From the end of the road it looks like one might be able to head southwest to skirt the ridge for maybe 3/4 mile to get to the crags.

If I get out there I'll try to post some pictures. I think I'm going to go to Erie this weekend instead, but I really want to explore this place soon, since it's so close to home. Might make a decent alternative to Chimacum Rock!

4699mtcrag.jpg