Limbaugh and racisim

Jim

Now I don't have cable so I didn't hear the remark first hand. I heard it on the news this morning so check me if I have this correct.

The esteemed Rush Limbaugh was until recently a commentator for ESPN football (news to me) but was fired the other day. He stated on the air that Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb was "overrated because the media wanted to see a black quarterback succeed"

Well at least they fired the racist. Funny how all that talk about cutting social programs etc. often boils down to more base, and unseemely issues. The guy is a fat racist.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jim said:

Now I don't have cable so I didn't hear the remark first hand. I heard it on the news this morning so check me if I have this correct.

The esteemed Rush Limbaugh was until recently a commentator for ESPN football (news to me) but was fired the other day. He stated on the air that Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb was "overrated because the media wanted to see a black quarterback succeed"

Well at least they fired the racist. Funny how all that talk about cutting social programs etc. often boils down to more base, and unseemely issues. The guy is a fat racist.

Funny, the guy might not actually believe he's a racist although his remarks are construed by others as racist.

The same time I heard the story that Rush was fired, i also heard that he is heavily addicted to illegally obtained pain killers. pitty.gif

i herd he tried to kill 300 school children, wrote swastikas all over downtown montgomery and is a heroin pusher. did you actually hear what he said? it was more of an affirmative action joke than anything else. he resigned... yadda yadda. read a newspaper. rolleyes.gif

babnik said:

i herd he tried to kill 300 school children, wrote swastikas all over downtown montgomery and is a heroin pusher. did you actually hear what he said? it was more of an affirmative action joke than anything else. he resigned... yadda yadda. read a newspaper. rolleyes.gif

Fired, resigned. Doesn't matter. Rush's brand of commentary is probably not wanted by mainstream advertisers. Even though their demographic is predominantly white, it seems like a big disfavor to the NFL players to have kept Rush on.

A joke perhaps but shows poor judgment. Similar to the comment made by Jimmy the Greek years ago. He says he didn't mean any harm in it but it sure was dumb.

scrambler said:the racist. Funny how all that talk about cutting social programs etc. often boils down to more base, and unseemely issues. The guy is a fat racist.

The same time I heard the story that Rush was fired, i also heard that he is heavily addicted to illegally obtained pain killers. pitty.gif

Some say that the McNabb story was a diversionary tactic to get away from this drug issue.

To_The_Top said:

scrambler said:the racist. Funny how all that talk about cutting social programs etc. often boils down to more base, and unseemely issues. The guy is a fat racist.

Some say that the McNabb story was a diversionary tactic to get away from this drug issue.

and SOME say jackie O killed kennedy.

i dont like the guy, but who cares?!? fire a guy for social commentary? did you think this is not the kind of controversy espn was trying to get? me thinks yes. why would you hire a guy like rush if you weren't in need of some desperate (good or bad) publicity? but again, who cares? is he racist? mabe. was that statement? prolly not. have anyof you actually read mroe than one article on the situation? again prolly not. its not that big of a deal. If he said the opposite about a white running back, would there be a controversy? ne eh. mushsmile.gif trippy

babnik said:

i dont like the guy, but who cares?!? fire a guy for social commentary? did you think this is not the kind of controversy espn was trying to get? me thinks yes. why would you hire a guy like rush if you weren't in need of some desperate (good or bad) publicity? but again, who cares? is he racist? mabe. was that statement? prolly not. have anyof you actually read mroe than one article on the situation? again prolly not. its not that big of a deal. If he said the opposite about a white running back, would there be a controversy? ne eh. mushsmile.gif trippy

Going to call you on this one 'cause it too slimy too let go by. Yea, ESPN probably did hire him for his audience following and to stir things up. That was likely in bad taste. His comment is nothing short of racist.

You made comment about a white player - how noble of you. Yes, I did go search and read his quote and I think I accurately present it above. Limburgh's comment implies that a liberal media is raving about a guy only because he is black, not because of his accomplishments. How would any such comment about a white guy make sense in a white dominated culture?

Nevermind what the guy has done in Philly over the past few years. And we need guys like Limbaugh and the other conservative radio, TV, and newspaper columnists, as well as book authors to keep tab on this liberal media.

Like the sports world is in cahoots to make up stats for this guy and they'll get some paycheck under the table?

This was blatant racism. Too bad his co-hosts didn't have to balls to call him on it immediately. Some comments can be made out of ignorance - this guy knows what he said and why he said it. What a pig.

How would any such comment about a white guy make sense in a white dominated culture?

guess we just have different view points. i dont think that being racist against a dominant culture will help racism against a minority culture. quite the opposite i would say. it is just ammo for the militants in idaho. perpetuation of the hate on both sides ensues. mabe we can try to treat everyone equally as per our constitution. rolleyes.gif

babnik said:

How would any such comment about a white guy make sense in a white dominated culture?

guess we just have different view points. i dont think that being racist against a dominant culture will help racism against a minority culture. quite the opposite i would say. it is just ammo for the militants in idaho. perpetuation of the hate on both sides ensues. mabe we can try to treat everyone equally as per our constitution. rolleyes.gif

There is no difference of opinion - this was a clear racist remark - to say otherwise is capitulation. He said his abilities were not up to snuff and the reason he got media attention was because he was black.

Substitue a white player and would this statement make sense - "The media has been very desirous that a white quarterback do well. There is a little hope invested in Brett Farve, and he got a lot of credit for the performance of this team that he didn't deserve."

Of course not. Limbaugh's statement reveals the usual underpinnings of racism when a dominat group feels threatened by the accomplishments of a minority. Try and point out that they don't deserve what they have earned. Sick.

that does nothing to affirm this statement. racism is racism. no matter who is in 'power'. you are under the guise that racism is a term only given to good ol' boys puttin up a burning cross. fence swings both ways as my good friend fence sitter always says. wink.gif

I notice you've neatly side-stepped addressing the question I posed - how would a similar statement of a white guy make sense. I imposed a white quarterback in Rush's statement. It makes no sense.

And yes - who is the prominate race makes all the difference. Why would you say that the media is wishing for a white player that it can latch on to? It makes no sense in the context. But were getting a far a field here.

You said Rush's statement may not be racist. That's BS and pandering to some base element.

Jim said:

I notice you've neatly side-stepped addressing the question I posed - how would a similar statement of a white guy make sense. I imposed a white quarterback in Rush's statement. It makes no sense.

And yes - who is the prominate race makes all the difference. Why would you say that the media is wishing for a white player that it can latch on to? It makes no sense in the context. But were getting a far a field here.

You said Rush's statement may not be racist. That's BS and pandering to some base element.

spin it around, would any pundit claim Big Country Bryant Reeves was kept in the NBA only cause he was white? That fat lunk. What a POS centre he was. cheeburga_ron.gifcheeburga_ron.gifcheeburga_ron.gifcheeburga_ron.gifcheeburga_ron.gifcheeburga_ron.gifcheeburga_ron.gifcheeburga_ron.gifcheeburga_ron.gifcheeburga_ron.gif

Jim said:

yah hommes, mabe cause 90% of the QB's are honkeys.... i used a more likely one with runningbacks... and you failed to address that... wait... i am turning into mountaingoat!~!!! hellno3d.gifAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH! Geek_em8.gif

Jim said:

Now I don't have cable so I didn't hear the remark first hand.

... The guy is a fat racist.

By your very comments above, you have revealed the way you both try and convict prior to seeing any evidence. The comment made by Limbaugh is hardly racist, although a bit odd. If anything, he's guilty of assuming his ESPN audience and radio audience are the same. BTW, Limbaugh hasn't been "fat" for almost ten years.

Is it safe to assume based on your comment, Jim, that you harbor some overt hatred of the overweight? "Fat" is a cruel label too often used by the unenlightened. thumbs_down.gif Are you filled with hatred, Jim?

As a comparison someone brought up comments Isaiah Thomas made about Larry Bird back in the day (paraphrase, not a direct quote) that Bird wouldn't have been nearly as highly regarded if he was black, he would have been just another good player. That's both stupid because Bird was clearly one of the best players in NBA history and racist, but Thomas never received much backlash for it. Double standard maybe? Impossible to display racism toward a white in a white dominated culture? None of that excuses Rush's comments, I think it was just a bad decision on his part and he should have known better. I don't really think that makes him a hateful biggot. I also think it's just a dead topic, there are probably about 6 black quarterbacks starting in the NFL. It' s no longer a big "story" if a black qb is starting. If the guy can play who cares what color he is.