Canary on Castle Rock

nolanr

quote:

Originally posted by Charlie:
Looks like you guys got lucky last weekend, damn it! it's dumpin snow here in eburg so I'm sure the same is true for lworth- Guess winter's not over-ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Good thing I'm going to mexico next week
[Moon]

me so sad...I have to suffer and climb here in the cold...until march 21...then its vegas baby and jtree...

grin.gif" border="0 Cancun in April... tongue.gif" border="0

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Retrosaurus:

Crack of Doom was 5.9 when I first climbed it. The jams are rip-my-arm-off solid. Any one else find the no-hands rest near the top of the crack?

Hello Retrosaurus,I would like to follow on that pitch. I can't seem to figure out how to climb it without pulling on the gear. Let me know if you head up there this spring. I could always mention that I am an icicle spyder by some sort of definition wink.gif" border="0 to persuade you. I think we met when you free soloed the South face of Jello Tower last summer. I was up there with the balding guy that never stopped chatting.

Retrosaurus,

I can't do it this week or next. Perhaps we will have to wait until the following one. I will send an email and take a sick day if need be. Maybe I will invite another local to join us if we can work it out. Can you drive to Index on a weekday too? Looks like good granite when it is dry.

sorry, but i have to plead ignorance. I've only been on castle rock once, and the first move of the 2nd pitch you're describing sounds a hell of a lot like Midway. do both these routes have similar 2nd pitches, or were we on the wrong route? blush.gif" border="0

quote:

Originally posted by wrench:
sorry, but i have to plead ignorance. I've only been on castle rock once, and the first move of the 2nd pitch you're describing sounds a hell of a lot like Midway. do both these routes have similar 2nd pitches, or were we on the wrong route?
blush.gif" border="0

different places completely...midway off tower and canary of of ledge to face

quote:

Originally posted by Retrosaurus:
Get your own boulder, Slzyjakoffski.

Hey Retrosaurus,

I think Syzjakowski and you know each other as well. SBD 1st sent wink.gif" border="0

On the subject of grade inflation: Having lived and climbed in Leavenworth since 1980, I can assure you that no one is inflating gradings. The truth is, the climbs are getting harder!!! Consider these true-life examples:

1) Jello Tower, south face: in the 1980-vintage guidebook, rated 5.7. I recall climbing this unroped in my running shoes, and thinking the rating to be fairly accurrate. and yet, a couple of summers ago, I led this same route in sticky scarpa slippers, after sewing it up with stoppers, and backing off to ground at least once to rest. The route had obviously increased at least a couple of number-grades in difficulty!!

2) Canary: this was the first rock-climb I did when I moved here, at the invitation of old-time local Mike Crosswaite, who, in those days,had a pizza place in the building now occuppied by Gustav's. Crosswaite insisted that this classic was the finest route on Castle Rock, worth doing even if it WAS raining that day. He graciously offered to lead the second pitch, warning me that the initial moves were "exposed & tricky". I remember thinking it a good solid 5.8, in raingear and mountain boots. And yet, within the last couple of years, I was sketching the finishing moves of the first pitch. No doubt whatsoever, the climb was definitely harder.

3)Mr. Clean: in October 1981, an old girlfriend whom I shall graciously decline to name returned to Leavenworth to complete the task of dumping me.We took an afternoon at Castle whence I led Mr. Clean (in alpine boots, it was cold), and she responded by launching herself out of Catapult and nearly breaking her arm. Yet last summer, in far more appropriate footwear I was unable to lead Mr. Clean without pulling on two pieces!

4) Cocaine Crack, Icicle Buttress: the first time I led this climb, in 1983, in EBs I complained to my partner that it was a "giveaway 5.10". Last summer, in modern sticky shoes, I fell off following the same pitch. Obviously,the climb had grown MUCH harder over the years.

Plainly, all of these climbs are several orders of magnitude harder than they were twenty years ago! I can only presume that such evolution is occurring planetwide. Were I to return to Eldorado Canyon and repeat Bastille Crack (5.6 back in 1972), I'm certain that it would fully merit the 5.8 rating today's guidebook gives it. Twenty years from now, I hope to be able to climb Saber at a 5.10 rating...

I climbed Canary, Mr Clean, South Face of Jello Tower and Midway and yanked on gear of Doom last summer. I climbed some of them years before...

Mr Clean is 5.10a if you ask me. Canary is tough 5.8, South Face of Jello Tower 5.8 but steep not slabby 5.8 and Midway is well the major sandbag [laf]

quote:

Originally posted by Szyjakowski:

NO MAN ITS MY FAVORITE BOUDER

Hey Spelzoffski, don't you mean boudoir? tongue.gif" border="0 ANd aint ya bout ta grodyate frum kalluge? Have a great time down south! [big Drink] Oh yeah, what's with that belay station above the roof and between Devil's Delight and Fright. New route, not in the guide [Wazzup]

quote:

Originally posted by kevin page:

Hey Spelzoffski, don't you mean boudoir?
tongue.gif" border="0
ANd aint ya bout ta grodyate frum kalluge? Have a great time down south!
[big Drink]
Oh yeah, what's with that belay station above the roof and between Devil's Delight and Fright. New route, not in the guide
[Wazzup]

I already told you dumbarss its She-a-KOWski beyotch...and after I go to redrocks and jtree Im goonna rest my fingers on the beach in the neat beaches of Cancun... [Moon]tongue.gif" border="0 oh yeah I hope I don't forget my

cool.gif" border="0 (shades as cool is genetic) wink.gif" border="0grin.gif" border="0 and btw..that retrowannabe is just a pompouss escaped convict from canada..so don't believe him for anything more than one cents worth...