Canary on Castle Rock

nolanr

quote:

Originally posted by chucK:
I will throw in my pontifications:

Damnation is 5.9, fist-crack, layback, chimney. No offwidth as I remember.

Haven't climbed Canary since I was way green. I thought that last move (on p1) was hard! I wish I had Matt there with his laser pointer.

Crack of Doom is cool but too short, 10a-
tongue.gif" border="0

Sure is fun to leave your stuff at the base of Damnation/Angel crack so you can get some great entertainment when packing up afterward.

What about Century? You guys like that one? I remember that being fun.Chuck
[big Drink][big Drink][big Drink][big Drink]

century.jpg

Damnation is no offwidth eh? Let me watch you to see if you cannot get an armbar wink.gif" border="0 I never got fists on damnation but did seem to get half my body in there. I never laybacked either. I think maybe you should check some definition of offwidth or maybe me. wink.gif" border="0

I am concentrating on my numbers. I want to know what people think Canary is rated..

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I liked Directissima, no crowds and good gear protected face climbing. warm up for DDD and harder than most 5.7 at Squamish although I see it is 5.8 in some of the guidebooks, maybe that is why... I would give it more than 1 star, too.

[ 03-05-2002: Message edited by: Dru ]

I think it was a graham cracker box. He forgot his helmet so for some protection against mounties dropping sh*t on him we taped the box of crackers to his noggin. [big Drink][big Drink][big Drink]

Check out this other picture of Century and cracker-box head. Look up above him at that guy with the massive pack. Positive mountie identification grin.gif" border="0 !! century2.jpg

Putting the route into the rating “equivolator” results in the following output:

At Index 5.7+ – Short people may find the second pitch to be the crux.

At Squamish 5.10a - The first pitch has a sting in its tail. Well worth the effort expended.

At 38/Si S11 (.10b) – One of the top five crack pitches in Washington. Second pitch is a giant step into bigness.

At Vantage 5.10a/b– Popular.

At Yakima 5.7 – Start in the first corner left of ______.

quote:

Originally posted by Peter Puget:
Putting the route into the rating “equivolator” results in the following output:

At Index 5.7+ – Short people may find the second pitch to be the crux.

At Squamish 5.10a - The first pitch has a sting in its tail. Well worth the effort expended.

At 38/Si S11 (.10b) – One of the top five crack pitches in Washington. Second pitch is a giant step into bigness.

At Vantage 5.10a/b– Popular.

At Yakima 5.7 – Start in the first corner left of ______.

At Smith Rocks 5.9 - a bold start leads to sustained climbing. Fight up the crack avoiding swarms of wasps. The second pitch features an airy step out into space and nauseating exposure. Inexplicably attracts novice leaders with triple-length slings and huge clanging sets of hexes. [laf]

quote:

Originally posted by mattp:
I think Crack of Doom is hard. That is one of those L'worth climbs that I believe has a "stiff" rating. Maybe I'm just old and weak.

It's been so long I can't remember. But what about that Alleyoop Chimney (Peshastin, maybe 5.8 in the book). That's the Leavenworth climb that left me a little confused. But the exit on the first pitch of Canary is 5.8+ or 5.9 even when you've got it wired. While I disapprove of grade inflation on the old classics (there's no way Outerspace if harder than 5.8), I think Canary's first pitch is one of those final exam 5.8's. When you can lead that, you're ready for 5.10 in Squamish.

Personally, I use leavenworth ratings as a benchmark "that jtree 5.6 is lworth 5.9. that vantage 5.10 is lworth 5.8...blah blah...turn the radio up...check out that chick over there...is that capt caveman passed out over there...blah blah..." (my usual banter at the crags)

quote:

Originally posted by erik:
i always thought that canary was classic 5.fun++ with a little heady challenge thrown in for good measure.....

but as always all grades are subjective from person to person, area to area.......i have never really nitced the huge differences from areas to areas...but then again i am trying on focusing on the climb and not the numbers....

Eric, you're so Zen! [Moon]

quote:

Originally posted by OfficeSpace:

Damnation is no offwidth eh? Let me watch you to see if you cannot get an armbar
wink.gif" border="0
I never got fists on damnation but did seem to get half my body in there. I never laybacked either. I think maybe you should check some definition of offwidth or maybe me.
wink.gif" border="0

I am concentrating on my numbers. I want to know what people think Canary is rated..

Half of your body, fists for a real climber.Works for me!

quote:

Originally posted by mattp:
I think Crack of Doom is hard. That is one of those L'worth climbs that I believe has a "stiff" rating. Maybe I'm just old and weak.

Crack of Doom was 5.9 when I first climbed it. The jams are rip-my-arm-off solid. Any one else find the no-hands rest near the top of the crack?

quote:

Originally posted by chucK:
Do you exit left or right at the top of the handcrack? Exiting left seems much more difficult.

Exit right. As I see it, the exit left belongs to Devil's Delight.

Devil's Fright. Now there's one that is make-me-puke strenuous for its grade.

Angel is only 5.10A! I am a fat ass and I can send it, therefore, it can't be harder than 10A. Anybody ever fallen off of the second pitch (first move) of canary? -just curious. How 'bout crack of doom- any of you guys ever done it? I tried it and hung on every other piece. (I'll get her this year!)

quote:

Originally posted by OfficeSpace:
Yes but don't you think Roger has climbed it before the "Physical Change" as well as after? I think if he states it is a certain rating it just might be. Maybe Roger is old school sandbagging us?

Roger's comment about Angel Crack:"Angel has gotten more difficult with the grease, rubber and rounding of edges."

I climbed Angel Crack for the first time in 1983 and again as recently as two years ago and I have noticed the change, both in characteristic and difficulty (though the latter may stem from me getting old wink.gif" border="0 .)

quote:

Originally posted by Retrosaurus:

Crack of Doom was 5.9 when I first climbed it. The jams are rip-my-arm-off solid. Any one else find the no-hands rest near the top of the crack?

Do you mean the big fat lounger that is stocked with freshies...and I don't mean snow...yeah, that is a goooooood rest duuuuuuude.

[big Drink][big Drink][big Drink][big Drink][big Drink]