North wall hammers.

Sol

After a couple lame descents in which we had to make our own rap anchors with gear and downclimb glacial ice with nut tools, I think its time for a north wall hammer. Can anybody recommend one, or do you know where to get one ( i think MEC carries somethin)? Also any comments or stories about when your NWH saved your butt, or took your partners eye out, or something. Word.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

umm, no.

a NWH is the size of a piton hammer, but has a pick on one side. much lighter and smaller than a technical ice tool.

in a recent search, i found 4 on the market, one each from camp, grivel, c-m and one other i can't remember. they vary in weight - heavier seemed to get you a better ice tool.

j_b said:

imo it's hard to justify the extra weight considering how poorly they perform on ice.

They’re not designed to be great on glaciers. They’re designed to be barely sufficient on glaciers to get you to the base of the rock. Once on the stone, they kick any ice tool’s ass in the placing pitons/cleaning aid nuts department. a specialized tool, to be sure... but considering that they weigh the same as a super-light ice axe, they're a lot more useful on technical rock routes

btw, at least two of the ones i was looking at (sorry, can't remember which right now) have stubby little spikes on the bottom. maybe this is a terminolgy thing, the tools dru mentions are what i'd consider a NWH

(i don't own one (yet), but i've borrowed them or had a partner with one on several big climbs - and i'm sold on the concept for certain kinds of routes)

Edited by forrest_m

forrest_m said:

j_b said:

imo it's hard to justify the extra weight considering how poorly they perform on ice.

They’re not designed to be great on glaciers. They’re designed to be barely sufficient on glaciers to get you to the base of the rock. Once on the stone, they kick any ice tool’s ass in the placing pitons/cleaning aid nuts department. a specialized tool, to be sure... but considering that they weigh the same as a super-light ice axe, they're a lot more useful on technical rock routes

My short X-15 straight shaft is just as good as any NWH for cleaning and hammering pins. Just a tad bit more unwieldy. Its worth the tradeoff of having a point at the end and it climbs ice damn good too.

I have an SMC Himalayan 50 cm hammer that I carry as a second tool for routes like Liberty Ridge and North Ridge of Baker. I also carry it for the senario you describe, approach and descent for an alpine rock route. I works very well for both of these purposes, but is pretty heavy.

forrest_m said:

j_b said:

i understand the logic but i think i have perhaps used mine a total of twice. mostly for the reasons already mentioned by specialed.

like, this is what i mean.

602.jpg

note the shortness. as i said, a specialized tool, but one i wish i had in my quiver.

this is what i will continue to call a north wall hammer. the people i know who own such things call them north wall hammers. if i'm wrong, i will at least continue to be consistent.

grivel compact third is a nice solid piece... also there are some new compact tools 45 or 50 cm long that have hammers, like the DMM tool they are discontinuing...

and SMC still makes a north wall hammer in a traditional axe dimensions as per the above poster.

compact piton tool with ice pick, grivel compact third,

for old schoolers in knickers and wool sweaters, the SMC

and there's a few in between, as mentioned above...

I have this little Grivel tool that rocks as a second tool. It will bang in a piton and weighs a lot less than an alpine hammer and is way more versatile. I searched Grivel on google but couldn't find it. It would the tool in my left hand below. I bought it in Banff for my kid, but I "borrow" it all the time!

150davld.jpg

This should be in the Gear Critic forum...

I've got a short Bulldog that I use as a third tool, and extra glacier tool. It hammers in Pickets much better then my Camp aluminum glacier axe, and I wouldn't be afraid to use it on a hard ice pitch. I even top rope with it for practice just in case I break a pick someday.

Bulldogs rock, I got mine at Second Wind.