Chestbeater Thread

Dru

What is the worst thing you ever rappelled off of? The impetus behind this thread was reading the Warning thread in North Cascades.

My own:

broken off plate of desert varnish lodged in wide crack and slung - Red Rocks

jammed knot on a bleached white sling - Red Rocks

bush that started ripping roots while I was half way down - Old Settler

6' diameter slush bollard - Shuksan

two half driven compression bolts - Fraser Valley

slung boulder that rocked back and forth - N Face of Silvertip

lets hear some more. truth only. no made up "I rapped off a slung 3 lb yam" stories! hellno3d.gif

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AmberBuxom said:

Dru said:

What is the worst thing you ever rappelled off of?

splain how this darwinawardwinner behavior is sumpin you wanna chestbeat about?

risk taking behaviour has been shown in many species to correspond to increased desirability of mates smileysex5.gif

This might not count but I once got to the top of a spire and the only anchor was on old Star bolt with the lead sleeve at the end exposed. We rapped but actually down climbed so it might not count.

The next worse time was rappin off a tiny nubbing in a storm and the sling blew off the nubbin while I was coiling the rope. An exapmle of complete stupidity.

Dru said:

AmberBuxom said:

Dru said:

risk taking behaviour has been shown in many species to correspond to increased desirability of mates smileysex5.gif

so am i to assume you do these 'risk taking' rappels in front of an audience of ovulating hot chicks? otherwise whats the point? maybe as a half time show at the local high school football game?

AmberBuxom said:

Dru said:

AmberBuxom said:

Dru said:

so am i to assume you do these 'risk taking' rappels in front of an audience of ovulating hot chicks? otherwise whats the point? maybe as a half time show at the local high school football game?

No but you can apparantly talk shit about it afterwards.

Some bad shit in Europe. In Germany I got to the top at a sport area and they have a string of 10mm rope tied between two YOUNG trees. About 5 routes shared this "anchor" by clipping into "fixed" non locking biners to lower off of.

In France, single bolt anchors seemed to be the norm. Kinda like how I found lots of the old routes in the Flatirons.

Last winter on night-n-gale, when pulling the screw out of the first v thread hole, had to wait almost a minute for the water to stop flowing. I'm the fat boy with the pack, but for some reason I rapped last after pulling the back up screw. wazzup.gifconfused.gif When I pulled the backup screw it got me all wet when water started gushing out of that hole too.

Last week on Chianti, the rap at the top of the first pitch is a little chockstone behind a block, that wiggles around, and is slung with really old and tattered webbing. I'm still fat so I rapped first with a backup gear anchor. wink.gif

Yosemite- '96 or so...tried an old route up above Commitment, it was crap, and we rapped off an old tat sling around a loose flake. Those were my young and reckless days.

Bozeman 97 or 98 rapped of some sorry excuse for a dead pine sappling tring to get down from one of the Climbs Below Winterdance. It was stupid, but just about the only way off, sans downclimbing.

a two inch tree and a chicken head grouped with an american death triangle where we thought the chicken head and tree ledge would catch sling if tree broke. never rapped so gently....praying the entire rap.

plus, anytime my buds set up a rap rope right thru the slings, I HATE that! even though theres never been any problem.

two guys i know broke ankles on rap this summer, one of them has given up climbing...

i have one question for the people who are rapping off of tat in bad shape. why didn't you all back it up?

i personally see little reason to risk your life rapping if you have the tools to facilitate a safe descent?

just a question!

erik said:

i have one question for the people who are rapping off of tat in bad shape. why didn't you all back it up?

i personally see little reason to risk your life rapping if you have the tools to facilitate a safe descent?

just a question!

What, and leave booty?!!!

For me, it was before I understood the benefits of cheap insurance...infact I didn't have any insurance at all, so I figured the hell with it. Or maybe it just wasn't cool to leave gear behind... Sorta like kids who wear helmets with the buckle undone...

go figure...