Best Fall time scrambles down da Mtn Loop?

Cpt.Caveman

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice topic. Sorry I don't have any suggestions, but would also like to hear some ideas. I went up there yesterday to check out the area and take pictures and whatever (only been there once on a short drive). I even took my backpack and books, but got a lazy start and ended up wandering to the ice caves-not real exciting, but cool scenery anyway. Fall colors are starting to look good right now. There were metal detector dudes on the trail and 1 impressive mullet guy wandering around also.

250863-wata2.jpg.40049c0600684ed94cd7c59095e60500.jpg

Another thumbs up for Gothic. Its cool!

I know its not on the Mnt Loop, but here is a huge thumbs up for Tomyhoi, still one of my all time favs.

Any another thumbs up for a long ramble through Spray Park, before they shut down the Mowich Lake road for the year!

Alex

I agree with Paul K (no, he's not one of my avatars) about the Perry Creek Trail being vibrant (in the orange wavelengths). However, despite the colors, the scene isn't all that photo worthy. Mainly, the weed-like brush is what is turning color the most. Some trees changing color. This was early November last year when I was there. The upper slopes of Stillaguamish would probably be nice and red with the turning heather.

I may head up that trail this weekend. I'll be sure to open my eyes to check the scene.

Thanks. I'll scope it out on paper tonight.

BTW I dont need to borrow 30m rope. I still need to return your other one. If work wasnt so hectic I would have already. wave.gif

I'm gonna plan my trip mushsmile.gif

Juan I dont think you'll make the summit count this season. maybe next time. I know you are lurking and reading this fruit.gif

Was up on Sloan this last weekend. Saw some cool fall colors. Bright reds and oranges. I think it is Bedel Creek. We went up the Cougar Creek trail. This is quite the hump though, and probably more the an 8 hour trip. Maybe with a small pack and some light boots. A cool climb all together. Sweeeeeeeet waterfall on the way up Cougar Creek. Small glacier has a safe crossing. A lot of scrambling 5.7 oportunities. Great veiws.

Side note: Sheriff chopper woke us early morning. Helped them figure the overdue climbers they were looking for were ok. We passed them on our way up. They had somebody worried though. Apparently they must have stayed near the trailhead, shortly after SAR was dropped off, they wandered out of the woods.

Another side note: This was the first place I had been to in Washington that had a sign about potential for Wolves in the area. shocked.gif

Cool- speaking of aliens...

Did anyone else notice how the stars were amazing this past weekend? It was easy to identify a satellite running by and no moon...

I am sure the guys on the WR of Forbidden were wishing for a moon. But they made it down safe. Was that someone here? I was actually completely worried about them... But there was nothing I could do that late at night and under the circumstances.

Aloha to the lad from AK that soloed the SR of Torment and thanks for the food handout. wave.gif

I keep telling people to check out the N Ridge of Foggy Peak, so check it out. You'll get to schwack through some colorful bush and then you'll pop up over Ida pass and there might still be a snowfield (glacier?) on the other side. Then traverse around to the N Ridge for an airy scramble (~5.4) on granite. Up by Glacier Basin, so you'll want a bike to keep it in your 8 hour range.

These two are mostly hikes and off the Suiattle River Road, so it's sorta close to Mtn. Loop.

Check out Sulphur Mtn. at the end of the Suiattle River Road. There's a steep trail up to Sulphur Mtn. and you can also work your way along the ridge to more peaks if you got time.

Hurricane Peak (above Boulder Lake) is a cool easy scramble too. Drive up Tenas Creek Road (off of the Suiattle River Road), there's a trail from there to Boulder Lake.

Oh, and Gothic Peak is cool, but the basin up below it is a moonscape and might not contain primo Fall colors (but the hike getting there would).

catbirdseat said:

Anyone been up Morning Star Peak? Is it one that is better with snow on it?

Morning star peak can be 2 logical ways of quickness from the same approach to Sperry.

The slabs on the East or Northeast are safer under less snow conditions in the spring or winter. I have not done that but it is obvious. The snow would sit on slabs during that time period I mentioned...

Another way is to hike into the basin between Morning Star and Sperry - very short and nice and the same approach. Then ascend up and left at the head of the basin. I am not sure any of my details of MS peak would be of value from the basin from between MS and Sperry since there was new snow and low snowfall year this past January or was it December. But I would guess some nasty rock gullies would be found..

That said maybe if you went this weekend go to the slabs on the east or northeast. My bearing remarks are gaper style since I often dont have a map or compass.

Edited by Cpt.Caveman

catbirdseat said:

Anyone been up Morning Star Peak? Is it one that is better with snow on it?

I've done some scouting around on it, my opinion is it would be better w/ snow. In addition to Capt. Caveman's suggestions you can approach it from the valley of the headwaters of the SF Stilly, same approach as Del Campo. Several gullies you can head up, definitely better when snow filled (when avy danger is subsided, obviously).