ouray this winter

thelawgoddess

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

specialed said:

If you're goin that far, why not go to where there's real ice - like Canada. That way you don't actually have to hang out in colorado. Geek_em8.gif

I have to disagree. Being from Colorado and having climbed in Ouray over many years, there are a lot of non-man-made ice climbs in the area. They aren't 5 minutes away from the parking lot like some in Canada but they are all worth the hike in.

smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

BTW what the hell is wrong with Colorado? All the sunshine not to your liking?

Edited by mr.radon

although crested butte and silverton are hopeful alternatives, my current job offer out there is at telluride. besides, you all know canada is not a "working" option. i am not independently wealthy. must work my ass off. which is fine so long as i get to ski every day. and being close to ouray and not far from indian creek sure wouldn't be bad things!

oh, and telemark skis are definitely on my shopping list! grin.gif

mr.radon said:

specialed said:

If you're goin that far, why not go to where there's real ice - like Canada. That way you don't actually have to hang out in colorado. Geek_em8.gif

I have to disagree. Being from Colorado and having climbed in Ouray over many years, there are a lot of non-man-made ice climbs in the area. They aren't 5 minutes away from the parking lot like some in Canada but they are all worth the hike in.

smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

BTW what the hell is wrong with Colorado? All the sunshine not to your liking?

I agree with him, Colorado pretty much sucks, esp. their overrated skiing. I loved my time in the Canadian Rockies, and best of all, it was cheap! Much of Colorado is overpriced.

don't listen to them my dear.

I grew up in Colorado, and while Bend and the PacNW have grown on me rapidly, those that proclaim CO as overcrowded, overpriced, undersnowed, etc, etc, are full of horseshit. They simply went where everyone else went, and utterly failed to find the gems of the state. Go play in the San Juans, the Sangre De Christos, Silverton, Red Mountain Pass, Elk Range, Wolf Creek, etc, etc, etc, etc, and you'll be happier than a pig in poo. If you spend any time in the front range, go to Loveland, A-basin, Berthoud, the Gore Range, the Indian Peaks in the spring, etc, etc.

Telluride is nice, although the town is expensive. If you want cheaper, and have a car, live instead in Ouray, Montrose, Silverton, Durango (in that corner of the state). I highly recommend Durango, although it'll do you no good if your job is in Telluride. But DGO is only an hour from Silverton...drooool...and is a great town, sort of like Bend, but further out in the middle of nowhere, and with a much bigger student population which contributes to good eateries, gear shops, etc.

my $.02

thelawgoddess said:

for f'ing crying out loud, i can't get a job in canada! madgo_ron.gif i've been talking to lots of people and i haven't heard one person who has actually been to telluride tell me it's *not* worth it. i'm gonna have a blast ... even if it ain't north of the border. tongue.gif

i was talking about taking a trip out there.

I had a friend/roomate who spent a couple of years living in Telluride. He worked as a ski tech and roomed with 6 other dudes in a studio apartment. he says it was the best time of his life. I was never able to keep up with him on skis, Telluride sounds like a great mountain.

I'd like to go to Ouray. I don't care if it's a Circus, the ice looks nice, and I hear they turn the water on every night to replenish the routes. I'd take this over dry hacked up pockmarked Marble canyon ice any day. Plus my wife digs toproping, and getting lots of laps in can be fun.

whew! wink.gif i've already managed to find a place to live that costs less than my place in seattle ... at over 9100 ft, where i can ski home from work and don't have to share with anyone but my cat. of course, it might be the size of a car trunk, but i've been living in one of those all summer so no biggie there. cantfocus.gif anyway, if anybody heads out that way this winter and needs a place to crash send me a pm. it won't be the wyndham, but it'll be warmer than sleeping in your car!