PICTURES!!!!!

Peter_Puget

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I like it when people say when and where the pictures were taken and what the subject is. For curiosity's sake, but also for research purposes. Looking at your (Cavey's) picture of NF of Buckner next year might give someone an idea of what to expect in late season (assuming similar snowfall yadda yadda yadda)...

I think people often fail to include this info because, 1. they are lazy, 2. they enjoy other people guessing what the pictures are (a form of chestbeating?), 3. they don't know.

The last one is the only reasonable excuse in my opinion, though I might be guilty of number 1 on occasion. smirk.gif

Alpinfox said:

I like it when people say when and where the pictures were taken and what the subject is. For curiosity's sake, but also for research purposes. Looking at your (Cavey's) picture of NF of Buckner next year might give someone an idea of what to expect in late season (assuming similar snowfall yadda yadda yadda)...

I think people often fail to include this info because, 1. they are lazy, 2. they enjoy other people guessing what the pictures are (a form of chestbeating?), 3. they don't know.

The last one is the only reasonable excuse in my opinion, though I might be guilty of number 1 on occasion. smirk.gif

I think it would be really cool to build a multidimensional database of [landscape] photos. Each photo is indexed by its location and orientation [and zoom] and time. Vision algorithms could solve for location/orientation given terrain data. Then someone could query the database, asking, what does NW Face of Mt. X look like at this time of the year? Or, what does the view of Mt. Y look like from Mt. Z? All sorts of machine learning possibilities exist for extrapolating data for where pictures don't exist. Of course, I don't have time to work on this. smile.gif

yep. have you managed to get up to the top of Lighthouse? The last 20 feet is tough from any side...I circled it...could NOT free the old thin aid line (where the picture was taken) but ended up with an old piton in hand while trying. someone used sawed tree limbs at some point in time to protect or aid the wide crack above the huge platform on the eastish side. hemp rope still hanging in the off width. i talked to John Marts about it once...all he said was it took some aid.

Alpinfox said:

You forgot one other option; 4. when it is a picture of an extremely popular mountain, the poster assumes every one will know what it is and therefore may not mention this info. Like when I posted a picture of Baker on the first weekend photo thread and didn't provide details. It wasn't because of laziness. That said, when I post something in the gallery it will always get this info even if the picture is of the south side of Rainier.

Peter_Puget said:

Post the name of the gosh darn route/mountain/cliff when posting pictures!

pP bigdrink.gif

I will try to improve. I like it when others post the info. Some stuff is still secret, though not by my choice.

Attached is a picture of heaven - used to be a 5.10 mantle.

250927-heaven.jpg.8ee0c69a3a48906e8a6b8eadaa9e6ce6.jpg