Leavenworth Ropeup Questions

olyclimber

David_Parker said:

Matt, for a non-father, you sure are a kid friendly guy. I like it when non-parents make my kid feel welcome. You do have a point, OC could go camping in the icicle and if he had his wife hang with the kid at night in a seperate campground, he could certainly join us. My kid actually said he had a great time at the spring ski-in even though he was the only kid. Funny thing was, he said he even liked Kurt! cantfocus.gif

I have a friend who had a child when she was a senior in highschool. I knew the father, and later we were pretty good friends. My post-teen/early young adult experience was filled with seeing this beautiful child grow up. She was raised seeing Seattle's "Grunge" experience in the late 80's firsthand. Today she is one of the most articulate, balanced, and aware kids I've met.

Yes there will be drunks and stoner and stumblers at the RopeUp, but hopefully few idiots. I'll do my part and stay away. Seriously, i have to work this weekend so there will be more HCL.gif and bigdrink.gif and mushsmile.gif for the rest of you. Have fun wave.gif

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

olyclimber said:3. Is this a formal event, or just a bunch of friendly climbers having a good time?

Think of it as a cleverly managed "dirtbag" TM event, like going to Tom Sawyer's island at Disneyland. That is to say, you can expect a reasonable facsimilie, an erzatz "climber's event" complete with tame wildmen acting out scenes of debauchery from the days when climbing was an avocation rather than a fashion posture and resume highlight. Rest assured that the embedded Forest Service personnel will keep this event kid tested and mother approved. Remember, vote Beck for Master of Sport and your personal representative to the halls of power, because its always some asshole or another, and it might as well be the devil you've seen vomiting in an alleyway.

RayBonbon said:

olyclimber said:3. Is this a formal event, or just a bunch of friendly climbers having a good time?

Think of it as a cleverly managed "dirtbag" TM event, like going to Tom Sawyer's island at Disneyland. That is to say, you can expect a reasonable facsimilie, an erzatz "climber's event" complete with tame wildmen acting out scenes of debauchery from the days when climbing was an avocation rather than a fashion posture and resume highlight. Rest assured that the embedded Forest Service personnel will keep this event kid tested and mother approved. Remember, vote Beck for Master of Sport and your personal representative to the halls of power, because its always some asshole or another, and it might as well be the devil you've seen vomiting in an alleyway.

yelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gif

Dru said:

marylou said:

I have a job, take showers, and don't get drunk in my office in the middle of the day. wave.gif

GIRL YOU DON"T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE MISSIN!!

oh wait... me too. all but the last one bigdrink.gifcry.gif

Hahha bigdrink.gif

marylou, you definitely dont seem like the dirty sort of hippy that does not shower.

But SOME jobs do let the employees have a little bigdrink.gif while on company time. It's great bigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gif

Ropeup is going to be fun, and there will be something for everybody whether they bring their kids for an introductory session at Bruce's Boulder or they want to show off how badass they are by climbing such-and-such a route unroped in front of the assembeled masses at some roadside crag. At past rope-up's and at TimmyFest, several people have met climbers who have turned out to be ongoing regular partners, others have done their first leads or climbed their first multipitch routes, and pretty much everybody who wanted to climb something had ample opportunity to do so. I highly encourage folks to ignore the bitching on this site and come on over if they want to hook up with some other climbers and have a good time. Even Marylou.

David_Parker said:

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

and mary lou, I will be dissapointed if you don't make it!

As one of the "organizers" who did not uninvite you to the event, I too would be dissappointed not to see you...

Besides, if you don't show I have a picture of you that I could post.... blush.gifblush.gifblush.gif

Does any one know of a fine establishment (sports bar, etc) in Leavenworth that has a satellite TV(s) and shows some non-PAC-10 college football games? We're coming to rope up to climb, but I might have to take a break Saturday afternoon and catch the Texas vs. Oklahoma game. Geek_em8.gif Yes, I will call first but I need names of places to call and check with besides Gaystavs. Thanks. Looking forward to meeting some of y'all. wave.gif

Sorry guys, but I had plans with Stefan and some other folks for this same weekend last year....and dumbass went and fell off Mount Temple and got to ride in the chopper and all that. Then he had some weak excuse about being in the hospital or whatever so we ended up not going. So now that he's ambulatory, we are going to give it a go. I kinda had this weekend planned since last year, so even if I hadn't been uninvited, I wouldn't have been able to make it.

Plus no offense to the rowdy drunks, but my SO is leaving on a longish business trip a few days later, and a quiet weekend with some friends and some slackish peak bagging is probably more the ticket than getting smashed and throwing chairs. Have fun you guys, and I promise I'll make one of these things one of these days. Then the allegation that I don't climb will be replaced with the truth: I do, and badly. smile.gif