Which cellular company to choose?

Pencil_Pusher

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beck said:

why do you guys all want to be talking on your phones when you are out in the mountains? Is it so you can call your friends and go "can you hear me now?" like a bunch of college freshmen?

Who said anything about calling Mommy from the mountains? I use it to call the GF after getting safely OFF the mountain, so she won't obsess about my irresponsibility, thus allowing me the opportunity to find the time for some post-adventure bigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gif

hey beck- you might be a tad clueless or not have a certain perspective on this. i leave my phone ringer off but i do take it with me.

at least once this summer it prevented my mother from calling SAR over nothing! i was 6 hours late...this is nothing...and i've told her 24 hours but my nervous mother wouldn't have waited that long. i called it prevented a needless effort by other people

i get signal in a surprising number of places. i have a child and yes if that phone rang an there was an emergency with him i would bail out of any climb/trip as fast as possible. you better believe i take it with me.

i don't count on it to save me in an emergency but it could be a useful tool. so to all of you "keep the cell phones out of the mountains nazis" all i can say is the_finger.gif

Sometime near the end of November, major changes will be taking place in the cell phone industry. Namely, companies will be obligated by (Federal? State?) order to allow users to maintain their existing cell phone number when switching to a new carrier. This is expected to cause a large rush in carrier switches for at least a couple months.

I personally expect a lot of carriers to offer really sweet deals to new users during the first few months after this switch in order to steal as many customers as possible from their competitors. I recommend you wait until then to sign up.

In the meantime, you can do some research on the web at places like http://www.wirelessadvisor.com.