Castleton Tower threatened

oldfart

Castleton Tower in Utah is being threatened with development. This classic and historic tower on everyone's road trip list is possibly headed toward housing developments and general "upgrading". Check out the site of concerned people and climbers at: www.CastleRockCollaboration.org

If you haven't been lucky enough to have already climbed this classic, be concerned for the future when you will want to climb it.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard about this oldfart. This is one of my favorite climbs ever. It's a sad state of affairs that we even have to think about repelling another condom-minia from a place like this. Damn I'm starting to sound like my tree-hugging friend Mr. Zeno. Anyhow I'm going back there in a couple of weeks. If I see any developers out there I'll rough um up for you guys. [hell no]

quote:

Originally posted by max:

Careful that's the logic those sport climbing dweebs use to bolt faces!

Hey, that's damn funny! Kind of interesting how a row of condos will offend somebody when line after line of bolts will not.

quote:

Originally posted by pope:
Hey, that's damn funny! Kind of interesting how a row of condos will offend somebody when line after line of bolts will not.

Hey you could say the same about the opposite too huh. If bolting gets your panties in a bunch never become a mountain biker. Nothing like being banned from a trail right next to a damn clearcut and freeway. Sorry I'm bitter.

Definately check out that website, very interesting. They are obviously in need of money to make these land purchases, I might write a few quick letters to encourage some outdoor companies to help, like dare I say it... REI.

quote:

Originally posted by jon:

If bolting gets your panties in a bunch never become a mountain biker.

If bolting gets your panties in a bunch...... just think what those cute, lycra shorts would do (not to mention those minimal little racing seats you boys use). Ouch! I get testicular torsion just thinking about it.

Dear boys and girls from Never Never Land. The boogie man does exist. He will destroy Castleton Tower if there is a profit involved. If you think you are going to stop the boogieman by holding bake sales and gathering a bunch of hippies on the street yelling reeeeeaaaaaallyy cool slogans then you are a dumbshit and Castlteton tower is doomed.

It will be by political force that Castleton tower is saved. In other words, money talks. If everyone who has posted on this site were every ecohippie in the world then what percentage of ecohippies vote? Send letters to Congress? Are politically active in any piddlyass way? My guess is that it is a pretty pathetic percentage.

Without the money eco groups get from dastardly corporations like North Face and Patagonia, the public who actually vote and actually get involved in political movements would probably never hear about the political movements in the first place.

Pop quiz: Who represents you in congress? (Hint; Senator xxx, Congress person xxx).

Hmmm, REI can be a good idea, especially if they lobby too. I sent money and wrote a letter (while poupe was lurking around counting bolts [Moon] ) as soon as the Climbing first mentioned it. But there is really no dialog when writing to "elected"-s, just "received" notes. Is there a way to have a meaningful feedback?

One way to add your voice to an existing campaing on this issue is to contact Utah Open Lands and join their campaign.

They have been quite successful in protecting some crucial land parcels in Utah over the last ten years. Here's their site: utahopenlands.org

quote:

Originally posted by KeithKSchultz:
Dear boys and girls from Never Never Land. The boogie man does exist. He will destroy Castleton Tower if there is a profit involved. If you think you are going to stop the boogieman by holding bake sales and gathering a bunch of hippies on the street yelling reeeeeaaaaaallyy cool slogans then you are a dumbshit and Castlteton tower is doomed.It will be by political force that Castleton tower is saved. In other words, money talks. If everyone who has posted on this site were every ecohippie in the world then what percentage of ecohippies vote? Send letters to Congress? Are politically active in any piddlyass way? My guess is that it is a pretty pathetic percentage. Without the money eco groups get from dastardly corporations like North Face and Patagonia, the public who actually vote and actually get involved in political movements would probably never hear about the political movements in the first place.Pop quiz: Who represents you in congress? (Hint; Senator xxx, Congress person xxx).

To that I say... if you think politix will work better than a bake sale, i hope you got more $$$ than the oilpatch lobby. only one thing will work and that is REVOLUTION!!!

"The act of desctruction is also a creative act" - Mikhail Bakunin.