Knee pain

catbirdseat

I was climbing some alpine ice and my crampon popped out while pulling a bulge. I struck my right knee. It hurt, but I shook it off and kept climbing, because I had no choice really. The pain went away, or at least I didn't notice it, on the way out to the trailhead. Four or five days later after two runs of two and four miles, the knee started hurting again. It is painful going down stairs. The pain has been there for four days now. It is to the point where I'll take the elevator if given a choice. Should I go see the doctor?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cbs

one thing is you mentioned ice climbing. i have had what i would equate to my knee freezing. ice chimeny pitch and late that night...i killed...so bad..it didnt matter what position i had my legs in......too bad we were driving home and i had no choice other then to deal with it.

it went away for me in a few days.

other then that i have never had knee problems(knock on wood!)

Just a note to anyone suffering from any sort of contusion or impact fall/hit: remember RICE within the first 72 hours -- Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation. It helps stop the swelling and is great as a preventative measure. See a doc, bypass the running temporarily as the jarring may be affecting it. My best guess is because you were able to walk on it for a few days WITHOUT pain, it may NOT be a fracture, but ya never know. I'd say it may actually be a result of a slight gait change -- your body subconsciously trying to protect the hit leg -- which is resulting in the pain with running. Get it checked out.

Doc says the patella is not broken. If it were I wouldn't even be able to walk at all without severe pain. Take two Aleve twice a day, ice it, elevate it and don't do anything that makes it hurt. Gave me a radiology order which I am to use to get an x-ray if it doesn't improve in a couple days. Okay, Doc!