Question on ski bindings

Alex_Mineev

Hi, I am thinking about finding a way to save time on winter approaches using skis. I do not need any extreme speed or something, just want to be able to ski to a camp, leave them, climb, and ski down.

The closest thing I see is AT bindings, but it seems like it requires AT boots. I am not sure I'll want to climb in AT boots and I do not want to bring another pair of boots.

Is there any type of bindings that will accept climbing boots like Koflach Degre? Has anybody tried that?

What do you guys use for the similar task?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sphinx said:

rolleyes.gif Silveretta.

Yup. But your Koflachs will suck to ski in so get shorter skis than usual and take a few test runs before you commit to a back country frolic with a pack on.

Since I love to ski, I have pretty much given up on the "mountaineer boot to ski and climb in" dream. I have gone back to tele whackers and carry my light plastic boots.

Silveretta 500's. They work real good with any boot that has a toe and heel bail. Any plastic boot, not just Koflachs, suck to ski downhill in. That's just the way it is. But you want 'em for transportation not making turns right? Plus if the snow conditions are good and you are a decent skiier you can make turns in mountaineering boots.

As far as skis, go to Goodwill or Value Vilage and buy some old alpine boards at 185 - 195 cm. Those will treat to just fine. If you want to get fancy and throw down some cash you can get some shorter fatter boards which are nice because they are lighter, more maneuverable, and will float better in deeper snow. But then you have to pay more money and they also won't track as well on firmed up snow.

Alex_Mineev said:

What length would you recommend? I am 6.02 ft high, 165 pounds.

Wow, your a stick. smile.gif

I made the investment to get Silveretta Easy-Go's. I tried a couple of skis before I finally got a pair that worked real well. Mind you there are so many different conditions in the backcountry. I went with a pair of Volki V's, twin tipped. They're 173mm long. I'm 5'11' 165#. I skied from high camp on Denali to base camp with a 60 pound pack and didn't sink too far in the light powder. I could not have been happier with them. They are also very light. I'm real happy with these suckers. They do everything well. In the powder on Denali they rocked. However, I tried to use my Super Salomon Mountain 9 Guide boots to ski down from Muir. What a trip! You better be damn good, I found no ankle support a killer in the wet snow after Panoramic Point. I managed not to kill myself. You can climb in A/T boots, just pick a good pair. I got Denali A/T boots and they work fine skiing and climbing.

I got the 550's. I have to say that I enjoy a little bit of side cut, not radical. The pair before my V's were cut pretty agressivly. They were very hard to control in wind crust. Either the tail or head would break through and you would get a lot of torque on the ski. Hard to control.

Check out the picture of last years nice weather durring the winter on Rainier. Check out the tracks behind us!

I'm ready for snow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow. fruit.giffruit.giffruit.gif

249395-P2080229.thumb.jpg.5fe4921027874254b7d96da669d0a9b8.jpg

What are main differences between the Silvretta 555, 505, 500, 404? I know the toe bail is different between the 555 and 500 and the 500 can accept mountain boots. Any other major differences? I heard someone mention the 555 are heavier than the Fritchis and don't accept mountain boots so what is the advantage of the 555 over Fritchi Diamir? Thanks.

Dustin_B said:

What are main differences between the Silvretta 555, 505, 500, 404? I know the toe bail is different between the 555 and 500 and the 500 can accept mountain boots. Any other major differences? I heard someone mention the 555 are heavier than the Fritchis and don't accept mountain boots so what is the advantage of the 555 over Fritchi Diamir? Thanks.

I don't want to be an asshole here, but there are plenty resources (inc. the manufacturer's websites) where you can find all the answers for less work. Start at www.skimountaineer.com

Sphinx said:

Dustin_Boy wasn't asking for user opinions, he was asking for blanket info. Figure out what bindings you're interested in, then ask for specific beta. It's just like the ice tool post around here.

wazzup.gif

I'd say when he asked:

Is there any type of bindings that will accept climbing boots like Koflach Degre? Has anybody tried that?

That he was looking for user opinions on using mountaineering boots with AT bindings.

But, I'll rephrase my statement.

I think that asking what others have tried is a valid way to solicit information in addition to any statements made by manufacturers.

wave.gif

Edited by Rodchester

Alex_Mineev said:

...Is there any type of bindings that will accept climbing boots like Koflach Degre? Has anybody tried that?

What do you guys use for the similar task?

I use Fritchi Tour bindings (not Daimirs) mounted on Fischer Ultra Air AT boards. Skis are not radically side cut (track better for touring), and 165 cm long. I am 5'-10" and I weighed 165 lbs when I got them. Let's just say that they are a little harder to control now, being married and with a kid and all... rolleyes.gif

My boots are Koflach Artis Extrems (no longer available in US - due for new boots anyway...). The toe and heel bails are just fine for use with the Fritchis. This set-up has served me quite well for approaching ice climbs and winter alpine routes for almost 10 years now. Pretty much sucks for downhilling from the upper reaches of some climbs because of lack of ankle support on steeper terrain, but then you want them for approaches and touring anyway, right? YMMV.

Sphinx said:

Dustin_B said:

I don't want to be an asshole here, but there are plenty resources (inc. the manufacturer's websites) where you can find all the answers for less work. Start at www.skimountaineer.com

Actually it is less work to post a question here rolleyes.gif

And when I said "so what is the advantage of the 555 over Fritchi Diamir?" That is doing exactly what you suggested and finding specific bindings and asking about them. That is asking for an opinion. I doubt I would find that on the manufacturer's website.

PS - of course you meant to be an asshole, that is your natural state, as evident in your second post when you *attempt* be belittle me with name calling. rolleyes.gif

Dustin_B said:

Sphinx said:

Dustin_B said:

Actually it is less work to post a question here rolleyes.gif

And when I said "so what is the advantage of the 555 over Fritchi Diamir?" That is doing exactly what you suggested and finding specific bindings and asking about them. That is asking for an opinion. I doubt I would find that on the manufacturer's website.

PS - of course you meant to be an asshole, that is your natural state, as evident in your second post when you *attempt* be belittle me with name calling. rolleyes.gif

False. You asked general questions about five different bindings. The 555 is silveretta's answer to the Diamir, but the Diamir does everything the 555 does and better. The 404 is one of the only bindings compatible w/ mountain boots. rolleyes.gifmoon.gifrolleyes.gif

Edited by Sphinx

False. You asked general questions about five different bindings. The 500 is silveretta's answer to the Diamir, but the Diamir does everything the 500 does and better. The 404 is one of the only bindings compatible w/ mountain boots

Sphinx not only are you abrasive and annoying here, you are incorrect as well. The 500 accepts mountaineering boots just fine. It is the carbon fiber/plastic version of the 404, and has recently been rev'd to the 505. All have wire bails in the front, all work with mountaineering boots. I have used the 500's with great success for awhile now. It is nothing like the Diamirs, and serves a different purpose.

iain said:Sphinx not only are you abrasive and annoying here, you are incorrect as well. The 500 accepts mountaineering boots just fine. It is the carbon fiber/plastic version of the 404, and has recently been rev'd to the 505. All have wire bails in the front, all work with mountaineering boots. I have used the 500's with great success for awhile now. It is nothing like the Diamirs, and serves a different purpose.

You are correct Iain. It should also be noted that the primary difference between the 555 (diamir competitor) and the 505 (404 update) is the heel. The heelpiece on the 555 is DIN, on the 505 is designed for mountain boots. For the toe, the 555 has a wire bail similar to the 505, but has a plastic piece covering it.

I should revise the above to say the 505 has step-in ability, so support for all mountaineering boots would probably be questionable, but I have no first-hand info on it. The 500 definitely accepts a wide variety of boots, but the heel lock is manual. Unless you are hucking I think it is fine.

Iain, I am no more 'abrasive and annoying' than others here.

You're right, I was thinking of the 555, not the 500. My bad. Either way, I said the 404 is ONE of the only bindings, not THE only binding, so my statement was correct. I tried to get mountain boots into the 555 and it was less than stellar.

Sphinx said:

Iain, I am no more 'abrasive and annoying' than others here.

sorry to interupt your topid here dustin....

sphinx, so with that logic you justify being extremly negative. you should just post as cracked as this avatar is done.

Thanks for the great info. rockband.gif

A friend of mine rented some skis with Silvretta bindings (probably 555). He had some problem with a release button (?) getting stuck in the down/open position and he kept releasing real easily (like while skinning) until he rigged some duct tape underneath it or something. Not real sure on the details as I wasn't there. He was really pissed at the bindings though. Made me weary of these bindings. Any one experience anything like that? Maybe it was because they were rentals and had been thrashed around???

Also, the Black Diamond catalog says of the fritschi bindings: "can accommodate any AT or alpine boot meeting ISO Standards 9523 or 5355". What does that mean? I tried searching these standards on the ISO website and other places but can't find squat. Does this just mean any mountain boot with toe and heel welts?

if you're looking for alpine-style bindings with step-in, I'd take the diamir titanals or freerides over the silvretta 555. they are really nice. The reason I own silvrettas as well is for my mountaineering boots for approachs. sometimes I even just pack leather boots and take the freerides since it is so much more fun to ski in at boots than mountaineering boots, but I don't like climbing steep traverses with at boots...