AT question

Dustin_B

I think this deserves it's own thread. Thanks. smile.gif

sorry to change the topic back to AT but..

I'm thinking about going with the BD Mira and Fritschi Diamir 3 bindings. This will be my first AT setup (currently have only downhill skis). Is this a pretty good setup? Is this on the heavy end, light end, or in the middle? From the catalogue, looks like this setup is under 11 lbs. I guess what I am asking is how much does a really light weight ski/binding setup weigh? I'm an okay downhill skier (can get down most stuff inbounds) and I'm looking for a good touring setup that doesn't chatter too much on hard snow (I'm fat so I don't want too much flex). thanks. thumbs_up.gif

Edited by snoboy

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a set up with the Dynafit system. 190 cm K2 Shuksan skis. Skis and bindings weigh about 7 lbs, and the dynafit boots weigh another 4 lbs.

My old Fritchi set up weighed about 10 lbs.

The heavier your set up is the more bad ass shit you can do but the slower you'll be at touring.

For what its worth, I've been looking at the same set up for my wife...who is skinny (120lbs.), and as such I want her to have a lightweight set up that still skis well. We are also looking at the Scarpa "Magic" boots. thumbs_up.gif This set up seems to me, on papaer at least, to be a good lightweaight set up that will still ski well in most conditions. Though I guess time will tell.

I understand that the Dynafit binding system is more or less the lightest, but that it can be more finicky , which concerns me with my wife using it. She is not mechanically inclined. frown.gif

One thing about the Fritschi Diamir 3 bindings, it is my understanding that they do not do well with mountaineering boots, i.e. plastics double boots. For that the Silvrettas are generally considered the best bindings.

wave.gif

Edited by Rodchester

The Dynafit Tourlite Tech's are the lightest binding out there 1/2 the weight of the others. But you can only put 1 sole length on. They have a 3rd redesign of the Tri-Step out this fall that should be less finicky, and more adjustable, but we'll see about reliability. Fritschi's are a good binding, and have all the stepin ease of alpine. The Silvretta 555 is a slightly heavier, but just as nice as the Diamir - it's NOT moutaineering boot compatible. For that you want the Silvretta 500.

I've got the same setup as Kurt, Dynafits on K2 Shuksans but with Scarpa Lazers. Lighter than most tele setups. I only have a half season on them but I've had good luck, even pounded the crap out of them a few days inbounds and they've held up fine. The dynafits take a little getting used to though. Oh, and don't let OMC mount them, they'll fuck it up.

I've got Miras with Fritschi 3s. And Denalis. Heavy. Skis good. Dynafit is a good choice if you're not going to be skiing really, really nasty stuff. Yeah, they are a bit fiddly, but not too bad form what I've heard. They are supposed to be more touring friendly, too. I'd say the biggest deciding factors are boots and releaseability. I've skied with people who use Dynafits, and yes, they are slower to click in and get going, but not absurdly slow. It's up to you. For inbounds pounding, Fritschis are a good choice.

www.wildsnow.com has good dynafit info.

AlpineK said:

I have a set up with the Dynafit system. 190 cm K2 Shuksan skis. Skis and bindings weigh about 7 lbs, and the dynafit boots weigh another 4 lbs.

Apline K and B-rock:

How do you like the Dynafit boots? I been told that they tour the best and are light, but that they don't provide as much support for skiing ... any thoughts or opinions?

The wife is only recently getting back into skiing after many years off...and never skied that hard in the first place. While I want her to be confortable touring, I am concerned that she'll need solid support while skiiing. No matter how good the touring in/up, if she can't ski it out/down, she'll hate it.

Thanks for any input.... bigdrink.gifwave.gif

Rodchester said:

I understand that the Dynafit binding system is more or less the lightest, but that it can be more finicky , which concerns me with my wife using it. She is not mechanically inclined. frown.gif

My gf is not particularly inclined to mechanics either, but she only took a few days to get used to the dynafits. cool.gif

Use a sharpie to put marks on the boot above the pin holes, where you can see them while wearing the boot, this helps. thumbs_up.gif

How do you like the Dynafit boots? I been told that they tour the best and are light, but that they don't provide as much support for skiing ... any thoughts or opinions?

I like mine a lot, but I have a garmont liner which is stiffer and taller than the stock liner. The Scarpa denalis are a lot stiffer in terms of forward flex, but back flex is about the same.

The Dynafit boots are a lot lighter than the scarpas.

cracked said:

Dynafit is a good choice if you're not going to be skiing really, really nasty stuff.

That seem's to be the previaling wisdom - but there are a number of hairball skier's who use Dynafit stuff, to note: http://www.climbsepu.com/mountain/plan.cfm

I'm looking to add a pair of Dyanfit's to the new Mira's this winter.

b-rock -

who'd you end up getting to mount the Dynafit's?

cj001f said:

cracked said:

Dynafit is a good choice if you're not going to be skiing really, really nasty stuff.

That seem's to be the previaling wisdom - but there are a number of hairball skier's who use Dynafit stuff, to note: http://www.climbsepu.com/mountain/plan.cfm

I'm looking to add a pair of Dyanfit's to the new Mira's this winter.

b-rock -

True, but another consideration is how easy it is to get back into the binding if you release on a hard, steep slope. I'd hate to fiddle with a dynafit in that sort of situation. hellno3d.gif

cj001f said:

b-rock -

Well OMC did them originally (bought the skis from them) but one binding was slightly askew (the boot heel didn't come down straight into the binding) causing many problems for me early on. Barely noticable, until say you tried an agressive turn and then of course the toe would pop and I would go flying. Since they mounted them just off center anyways madgo_ron.gif, I redrilled them myself just off the other side of center.

cracked said:True, but another consideration is how easy it is to get back into the binding if you release on a hard, steep slope. I'd hate to fiddle with a dynafit in that sort of situation. hellno3d.gif

If it's truly steep & hard you won't meet up with the ski until you reach the bottom frown.gif

cj001f said:

cracked said:True, but another consideration is how easy it is to get back into the binding if you release on a hard, steep slope. I'd hate to fiddle with a dynafit in that sort of situation. hellno3d.gif

If it's truly steep & hard you won't meet up with the ski until you reach the bottom frown.gif

Use straps. On my first run with my AT setup, coming down Long's Pass in the early morning, it was very hard snow. My DIN was set too low, and I prereleased several times. Getting the stupid ski back on was difficult, to say the least, and this was with step-in bindings.

BTW, I took a look at the link above and found nothing on Dynafits. confused.gif

cracked said:

True, but another consideration is how easy it is to get back into the binding if you release on a hard, steep slope. I'd hate to fiddle with a dynafit in that sort of situation. hellno3d.gif

Lock out the toe release, won't lose them then. Oh, don't fall if you do this. In fact maybe this is a bad idea, but I've heard of people doing it.

AlpineK said:

My old Fritchi set up weighed about 10 lbs.

The heavier your set up is the more bad ass shit you can do but the slower you'll be at touring.

What dynafit boots? I assume you are saying 4lbs a boot right?

minx said:

Someone summarize for me the lightest practical set up for moderate conditions, please. i've no intention of using it for real difficult terrain or really bad conditions. the answer to any question about what type of skiing i will be using this set up for is "moderate" i've considered a lot of these components and keep getting muddled.

Magic or Lasers (check sierratradingpost) Dynafits and Atomic Tourguides. Or if you want better skis, Mira's

minx said:

Someone summarize for me the lightest practical set up for moderate conditions, please. i've no intention of using it for real difficult terrain or really bad conditions. the answer to any question about what type of skiing i will be using this set up for is "moderate" i've considered a lot of these components and keep getting muddled.

Ok, if you want a setup closest to familiar alpine gear, get a big ski (eg BD Mira, Fischer Big Stix 75, hell, any reasonalbly light alpine ski), Fritschi diamir 3 or Freeride, and a big boot like Scarpa Magic, Garmot G-ride, etc.

For moderate terrain and less weight, I'd go with a lighter big ski (eg Atomic tourcap light or whatever it's called), Scarpa Lazer or Magic, or one of the dynafit compatible Garmonts, and Dynafits. bigdrink.gif

i've been skiing the dynafits a couple years nows and am reasonably adept at getting in and out of them. i think it's a really good idea to practice on the living room carpet a little.

i have experienced the dynafit's pre-release issue a few times. lou dawson describes the ski flex issue pretty well on wildsnow.com. it mostly happens to me when i'm attempting to jump turn in really heavy wet snow - if the tip and tail flex down it lengthens the distance between the front and back pins and your heel pops out because the pins aren't long enough. they made the rear pins longer on the tri-step to combat this. anyway, it concerns me when i'm jibbing above crevasses, even though firm conditions don't seem to preoduce the effect - yet. it is a bigger problem with lightweight skis that flex more like the trab sintesi's i'm using.

i just ordered a pair of mira's off STP on impulse (wanted the old graphics rolleyes.gif) and i will probably end up mounting them with daimir's because of this issue, but also because i already have a lightwieght touring set-up and would like to play with a full on shred on the downhill set-up for variety.

Edited by lI1|1!

Just a note...the Scarpa Magic is a chick boot....the Lazer is a guy's boot. My understanding is that they are pretty much the same caliber of boot, but the Magic is built on a chick last.

So I have a question for you experienced AT guys and gals on the proper ski length. The wife is 5ft. 6 in. and weighs 120lbs. As I stated above I am looking at going with the BD Mira (but maybe another ski if the price and weight is right), Dimar 3 bindings, and the Scarpa Magic boot.

The question is what length for a fairly novice skier? I think with her weight, or lack thereof, she'll have plenty of surface area to keep her floating on the surface. So for turning, I'm leaning toward going shorter.

But if I go too short, will she dig the tips in? She won't be skiing real aggressively, so I was looking at 160ish length (Mira's shortest is 162), but someone stated that she should consider going with 150ish skis (another brand).

Any input on length of skis with her height, weight, and abilities would be appreciated.

wave.gif

Edited by Rodchester