Dark Ages

pope

jon said:

I promised myself that I wouldn't post anymore about this but I just can't help myself.

1) The thing I found the most abnoxious about Dwayner was Jumping the Shark. If you don't like it here go away. Search for the "Dwayner the Prophet" thread and read it, nothing like a tribute to a fallen hero. rolleyes.gif

Jumping the Shark was directed at the insulting, violent, threatening and often lame chatter produced by some of cc.com's contributors, not at the people who worked hard to make the site possible. I sensed you were offended by this but I think you misunderstood Dwayner's message.

2) About two years ago I stopped sport climbing because I was having a change of heart about bolts, mostly with my concern of bolting of unsafe rock (like Winterlock Wall at FC). I changed my view of things again, in part because of you guys.

I've had three people send me a PM to express that they tend to think sport climbing and rap bolting are poor excuses for real mountain climbing, because of the opinions we've expressed. You win some, you lose some.

3) A number of people agreed with what we did.

4) Any decision we will make will look entirely arbitrary to the person or persons who have been a subject to them.

A number of people obviously think it is unfortunate, and quite arbitrary to boot. But it's your site. You can be arbitrary if that's your style. You just might want to post, in the conditions for participation that new members read, that anti-bolt viewpoints will be considered "spray" and "bitching" and will not be tolerated.

You comment about how you were climbing well I was wetting my pants shows how arrogant and self absorbed you are. Did you just instantly become an old crusty climber?

My comment was directed to the foul-mouthed little pukes like ....well forget it, but I didn't have you in mind. My dealings with you have always been pleasant and I think you're a good guy. I think banning Dwayner is a mistake and I wish you'd reconsider.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Its amazing how powerful we are when sitting behind a monitor. As a fairly new member to this message board after semi recently coming back to the area, I am really amazed at some of you. I have see more foul mouthed and useless rhetoric from the bulk of you.

The Dwayer issue is mute by comparison, sit down with the man in serious mode and you'll find an amazing array of knowledge and wisdom along side the often offbeat humor.

I dont think most of you even read, but just post visceral comments without base:

Bug said:

Yo Trask, Dwayner and Chirp and anyone else out there who are shaken by the heavy handed moderating on the cc board, why don't you just go start your own site. You can verbally trash anyone you want and not worry about being moderated. It would be interesting to see how much interest the general public would have in your opinions and tactics.

I for one would check in occaisionally but would probably not subject myself to a steady diet of the stuff.

bigdrink.gif

Why does bug include me and Dwayner in with Trask (does Trask even climb?) Does Bug even read or is he/she just another visceral whiner?

Lets just get on with this and enjoy the diversity of the peeps that surround us without resorting to namecalling and bannings.

personally i cannot recall one climbing related bit of info that dwyaner has ever shared outside of his bolting rants. and that certainly does not help anyone or anything.

i cant think of any beta, any stories or any trip reports from dwyaner. no pics that he has ever posted have ever been climbing realted, they seemed to tend to be for the purpose of mocking people. so where is the worth of dwayner if he contributes no climbing realted information on a climbing website?????

i think there are alot of people who should look at what they post and ask themselves where's there climbing related info? questions, tr, beta, little insights and stories about climbing is what this website is and should be about.

erik said:

personally i cannot recall one climbing related bit of info that dwyaner has ever shared outside of his bolting rants. and that certainly does not help anyone or anything.

i cant think of any beta, any stories or any trip reports from dwyaner. no pics that he has ever posted have ever been climbing realted, they seemed to tend to be for the purpose of mocking people. so where is the worth of dwayner if he contributes no climbing realted information on a climbing website?????

i think there are alot of people who should look at what they post and ask themselves where's there climbing related info? questions, tr, beta, little insights and stories about climbing is what this website is and should be about.

when I first started postong Dwayner and Pope had the funniest BEST TR's on this whole site. I think you have selective memory Erik.

actually muffy i do not have selective memory muffy and your assertation that i do is bullshit.

so if they once posted such glorious tr's why dont they now? instead they set out to insult people about their style of climbing. calling them fags and weak. seems like some real winners there.

so i still do not see your point other then to attempt to deface my statement.

thumbs_down.gif

Muffy's absolutely right. Pope, Dwayner, MikeAdam, Panther, Chonga, Caveman, Crazy JZ, Will Stricklind, and too many others made this site what it is today. Sadly, it's but a shell of it's former Witty greatness without those guys and their interested participation. Why would they even consider posting as before when they have nothing to look forward to but harassment from Erik and certain other mods?

incubus said:

Muffy's absolutely right. Pope, Dwayner, MikeAdam, Panther, Chonga, Caveman, Crazy JZ, Will Stricklind, and too many others made this site what it is today. Sadly, it's but a shell of it's former Witty greatness without those guys and their interested participation. Why would they even consider posting as before when they have nothing to look forward to be harassment from Erik and mods?

thumbs_up.gif

incubus said:

Muffy's absolutely right. Pope, Dwayner, MikeAdam, Panther, Chonga, Caveman, Crazy JZ, Will Stricklind, and too many others made this site what it is today. Sadly, it's but a shell of it's former Witty greatness without those guys and their interested participation. Why would they even consider posting as before when they have nothing to look forward to but harassment from Erik and certain other mods?

Its funny that at least three of the names you list are all different avatars of the same person. These people have all been replaced by others of similar character...Sphinx, lummox, Necromonicon, et al are just as "witty"...

The Internet and BBSs like this are not static, they are very dynamic. People come and go frequently. Don't live in the past, no one cares and no one will remember you.

Alex

erik said:

so if they once posted such glorious tr's why dont they now?

Dwayner ain't allowed to post now, and I think you had something to do with it, brother!

instead they set out to insult people about their style of climbing. calling them fags and weak.

Weak, yes. Outside of that, I don't think your accusation is fair. For the most part, Dwayner has said that those who bolt are abandoning trash where he would rather not see it.

Muffy_The_Wanker_Sprayer said:

erik said:

when I first started postong Dwayner and Pope had the funniest BEST TR's on this whole site. I think you have selective memory Erik.

True. Though they were all made up bullshit involving Donna Top Step and Teddy Ruxpin. tongue.gif

Alex said:

incubus said:

Its funny that at least three of the names you list are all different avatars of the same person. These people have all been replaced by others of similar character...Sphinx, lummox, Necromonicon, et al are just as "witty"...

The Internet and BBSs like this are not static, they are very dynamic. People come and go frequently. Don't live in the past, no one cares and no one will remember you.

Alex

Mediocrity attracts mediocrity. If that is what you care to nurture, that is what will grow in your garden.

specialed said:

Muffy_The_Wanker_Sprayer said:

erik said:

True. Though they were all made up bullshit involving Donna Top Step and Teddy Ruxpin. tongue.gif

The pope/donna story was inspired by an actual event, by a guy who didn't want to go out in the wind to get rid of something. While I went out on the Emmons to fetch some snow to melt, he remained in the tent and tried to land one in the blue bag ......but missed.

But I guess AlpineK found no value in being entertained by this kind of thing, and you know the rest of the story. Until Dwayner is allowed entrance again, we are doomed to read yet another post from Sphinx and his abrasive attacks on anybody and everybody.

pope said:

Mediocrity attracts mediocrity. If that is what you care to nurture, that is what will grow in your garden.

mediocrity is the median, and the median is what the sum of the parts is. this site has great TRs and worthless coils. This site has its share of great posters, worthless posters, and a whole host in between. Lump it all together and you'll arive in the middle. You forget one thing: before very very recent history, this site was wholly peer moderated. This garden was what you the readers nurtured. So speak for yourself, Mr. Mediochre.

Alex

Alex said:

pope said:

mediocrity is the median, and the median is what the sum of the parts is. this site has great TRs and worthless coils. This site has its share of great posters, worthless posters, and a whole host in between. Lump it all together and you'll arive in the middle. You forget one thing: before very very recent history, this site was wholly peer moderated. This garden was what you the readers nurtured. So speak for yourself, Mr. Mediochre.

Alex

Yes this site is what we colectivly created, and now... it is being changed, but not by all of us as a group naturaly shifting our interest.

You missread what I wrote. Dwayner's funny stuff is funny, but he's only got one TR.

Go look through his posts; you'll see that the majority of the subjects are sport climbing is gay. That's cool if it's in spray, but both you and him take the same spray tactics into more serious bolting discussions or you twist some topic that is only marginally related to bolting into a soap box where all you do is rant or quote Yvon Chouinard's 30 year old essay against bolts.

At the very least I want some new material

AlpineK said:

You missread what I wrote. Dwayner's funny stuff is funny, but he's only got one TR.

Go look through his posts; you'll see that the majority of the subjects are sport climbing is gay. That's cool if it's in spray, but both you and him take the same spray tactics into more serious bolting discussions or you twist some topic that is only marginally related to bolting into a soap box where all you do is rant or quote Yvon Chouinard's 30 year old essay against bolts.

At the very least I want some new material

I read a lot of Dwayner TR's.

They all go "I am in (insert name of far away place lacking bolts) and I'm DRUNK!"