Dark Ages

pope

Well, I must input at this point, Dwayner might offend some but he has the background to have the leeway to say as he wishes. I think most of the aforementioned "classic sprayers" here are a little too much into the "shock" value and assorted bullfucking shit. At least Dwayner has been climbing in this region for a significantly long enough time to warrant some spew towards the neuvo sportos and their worthless diatribe.

The quality of this web endevour is wholly reliant on its community and unfortunately...that says little about the community.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have no "special" knowledge of Chirp's identity, so I may well have been wrong. But from this and other posts, I concluded that to be who he is, and if I was right, I think it is somewhat silly to pretend he is some anonymous admirer. Your post promted me to check his profile, though, and i found he links himself to a personal website so maybe he is a real person apart from Dwayner. Either way, it wouldn't be the first time somebody did such things with an avatar, (using a false identity to pretend to be a different character from their other identitiy and talking to or about themself, or mis-identifying somebody and mistakenly accuse them of using this "ploy"). If anybody thinks this is a problem, they of course always have the option of logging on with their real name.

Is there something about my moderator status that means I should not speculate about chirp's identity?

mattp said:

Is there something about my moderator status that means I should not speculate about chirp's identity?

I was under the understanding that moderators have limited ability to view IP addresses of posters. Thus, a moderator's "guess" at an avatar's true/other identities is more credible. Unverified speculation could therefore be more "damaging". So the answer to your question is "yes" (IMO).

At least in this case Chirp seems amused and flattered, though Dwayner might be a bit annoyed at being falsely accused.

If Dwayner wanted to use a single identity - his name - he could do so. I'm not saying anybody has to use their real name around here, but if they elect not to do so and somebody gets confused about who they are, it is their own doing.

I thought I made it clear that I was only guessing about chirp's identity when I wrote "if I'm not mistaken." Perhaps I wasn't so clear.

incubus said:

I may be wrong, but I believe any moderator can view anyone's IP address. At least it's that way at other sites. Matt will probably deny this, but I still believe it's true.

Yo Trask, Dwayner and Chirp and anyone else out there who are shaken by the heavy handed moderating on the cc board, why don't you just go start your own site. You can verbally trash anyone you want and not worry about being moderated. It would be interesting to see how much interest the general public would have in your opinions and tactics.

I for one would check in occaisionally but would probably not subject myself to a steady diet of the stuff.

bigdrink.gif

incubus said:

I may be wrong, but I believe any moderator can view anyone's IP address. At least it's that way at other sites. Matt will probably deny this, but I still believe it's true.

You are wrong... kind of.

A moderator can view the IP adress of anyone who posts in a forum that he or she moderates; ie I can see your IP if you post in the *freshiezone*, but not if you post in Spray or anywhere else.

I'll show you sometime if you drop by. the_finger.gif

Bug said:

Yo Trask, Dwayner and Chirp and anyone else out there who are shaken by the heavy handed moderating on the cc board, why don't you just go start your own site. You can verbally trash anyone you want and not worry about being moderated. It would be interesting to see how much interest the general public would have in your opinions and tactics.

I for one would check in occaisionally but would probably not subject myself to a steady diet of the stuff.

bigdrink.gif

Whoa Bug, PLEASE dont even lump me with the "master spewers" Trask et al. If anything gets my ire up its being lumped with people that find profanity more useful than interesting beta or thoughtful banter. Check my past posts and my home page (which boasts my own message board). You will find very little BS content smile.gif.

Regarding Dwayner, hes a little nutty but is a pretty darn nice and well rounded chap.

fleblebleb said:

cracked said:

Unfortunately, speaking as a young climber and skier of this generation, Dwayner does nothing but annoy me. It's great that he was an inspiration to some people, but he seems to have lost that gift. My heros are those who don't use juvenile insults to antagonize those they don't agree with. I can't remember a single instance where Dwayner posted somethat that was even remotely interesting or inspiring. Too bad...I guess.

I never claimed to be a good climber, and the fact that Dwayner might be better than I has absolutely no impact on my views of him.

Lay off Dwayner you big little punk.

That goes for the rest of you too madgo_ron.gif

Flebbi, Dwayner might be a nice guy in real life, but I speak from my experience with him on this board. My statement stands. thumbs_down.gif

mattp said:

I have no "special" knowledge of Chirp's identity, so I may well have been wrong. But from this and other posts, I concluded that to be who he is, and if I was right, I think it is somewhat silly to pretend he is some anonymous admirer. Your post promted me to check his profile, though, and i found he links himself to a personal website so maybe he is a real person apart from Dwayner. Either way, it wouldn't be the first time somebody did such things with an avatar, (using a false identity to pretend to be a different character from their other identitiy and talking to or about themself, or mis-identifying somebody and mistakenly accuse them of using this "ploy"). If anybody thinks this is a problem, they of course always have the option of logging on with their real name.

I'm curious about how MattP, he who cares so much for logic, and he who constantly reminds me that I do not.....I'm curious about how he came to his original and incorrect conclusion, that Chirp was Dwayner posting as some anonymous admirer. Chirp is an experienced and articulate Tacoma and Utah climber who has worked as a park ranger and who has seen the impact of bolting (and the crowds that sport climbing attracts). Chirp got me into climbing when some of the foul-mouthed little pukes who log onto this site were still peeing in their pull-ups.

If you haven't noticed, quite a number of people are stepping forward to remind us that Dwayner's contributions to this site (as well as his pub club appearances) were valued and respected. Is it possible that this many people exist in reality, or are they all just Dwayner's avatars posing as anonymous admirers?

I think you guys need to step up and admit that......

(1) The thing you find to be most obnoxious about Dwayner's posts are their anti-bolting/anti-bolter content.

(2) You who banned Dwayner were predisposed to find his posts obnoxious because you are advocates for bolting.

(3) A number of participants on this site think this action is a mistake.

(4) Your stated reasons for banning Dwayner make your decision look entirely arbitrary, in relation to the crap that survives your editing.

pope said:

Chirp got me into climbing when some of the foul-mouthed little pukes who log onto this site were still peeing in their pull-ups.

Gee, pope, you make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Why don't you go outside and play Hide and Go Fuck Yourself? thumbs_down.gifthumbs_down.gif

Many, many people have noted what they thought of Dwayner and his posts, including JayB, Jens, and Mattp, in addition to others. None of these three are "foul-mouthed little pukes" to my knowlege. All three gave very reasonable, well thought out, coherent arguments as to why and how their opinions were generated. Your 'points' above are simply ridiculous as you know very well that they are all either irrelevant or flat-out false. You're certainly setting a great example for me to follow...good thing my friends and mentors are nothing like your online persona.

Now's the time to brush off my opinions because I'm too young, or too stupid, or sport routes have removed my brain, or some other illogical, insulting comment. moon.gif Go for it, you KNOW you're right. rolleyes.gif

cracked said:

pope said:

Chirp got me into climbing when some of the foul-mouthed little pukes who log onto this site were still peeing in their pull-ups.

Gee, pope, you make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Why don't you go outside and play Hide and Go Fuck Yourself? thumbs_down.gifthumbs_down.gif

Thanks, Sphinter Boy! I was just about to search for an example of the crap that survives the editor's mouse on this site, the kind of offensive horsecrap that makes Dwayner's posts look like editorials in the New Yorker. You've saved me a good 2-1/2 minutes of my evening.

pope said:

I think you guys need to step up and admit that......

(1) The thing you find to be most obnoxious about Dwayner's posts are their anti-bolting/anti-bolter content.

(2) You who banned Dwayner were predisposed to find his posts obnoxious because you are advocates for bolting.

(3) A number of participants on this site think this action is a mistake.

(4) Your stated reasons for banning Dwayner make your decision look entirely arbitrary, in relation to the crap that survives your editing.

I promised myself that I wouldn't post anymore about this but I just can't help myself.

1) The thing I found the most abnoxious about Dwayner was Jumping the Shark. If you don't like it here go away. Search for the "Dwayner the Prophet" thread and read it, nothing like a tribute to a fallen hero. rolleyes.gif

2) About two years ago I stopped sport climbing because I was having a change of heart about bolts, mostly with my concern of bolting of unsafe rock (like Winterlock Wall at FC). I changed my view of things again, in part because of you guys.

3) A number of people agreed with what we did.

4) Any decision we will make will look entirely arbitrary to the person or persons who have been a subject to them.

You comment about how you were climbing well I was wetting my pants shows how arrogant and self absorbed you are. Did you just instantly become an old crusty climber?

cracked said:

pope said:

Many, many people have noted what they thought of Dwayner and his posts, including JayB, Jens, and Mattp, in addition to others. None of these three are "foul-mouthed little pukes" to my knowlege. All three gave very reasonable, well thought out, coherent arguments as to why and how their opinions were generated. Your 'points' above are simply ridiculous as you know very well that they are all either irrelevant or flat-out false. You're certainly setting a great example for me to follow...good thing my friends and mentors are nothing like your online persona.

Now's the time to brush off my opinions because I'm too young, or too stupid, or sport routes have removed my brain, or some other illogical, insulting comment. moon.gif Go for it, you KNOW you're right. rolleyes.gif

Jens expressed is disappointment in the banning of Dwayner, as have others.