Leavenworth

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I just spent 2 sunny days in Sqamaish. Penny lane is dry, and so are a handful of others. I was so stoked to climb outside again. Why drive to Leavenworth? I hear that there is 5 pitch climbs in the sun on the backside of the Chief, but you have to hike. Talk to the friendly folks at 'Climb on' in downtown Squamish.

[big Drink]

Word up

quote:

Originally posted by westernbackcountryskier:
Even on Castle?

Spindrift is especially bad on Castle. I almost got 'lanched off of the last pitch of Saber once. Only quick thinking saved me when I stuck my tongue to a biner clipped to some ratty fixed slings by licking it.

quote:

I hear that there is 5 pitch climbs in the sun on the backside of the Chief, but you have to hike.

No doubt Squamish will be crawling with ichy climbers this weekend, but probably only at lower elevations. (Penny Lane for sure, and elsewhere in the bluffs) The climbs on the sunny, backside of the chief are pretty high and will probably still be snowy, but you can scope it out as you drive in.

Last weekend I walked up to Cobra Crack at the Cirque of the Uncrackables to find snow on the ground and icicles dripping out of the climb all the way up. The same day there were people free climbing at the base of the Grand Wall so you just gotta pick your spot. cool.gif" border="0

Yeah, I wouldn't even think about going to Leavenworth yet. It's horrible, terrible conditions. Deep snow, ice, rivulets of water running down the rock faces. rolleyes.gif" border="0

Umm, just kidding. I was there last weekend, it was awesome. You can drive up the Icicle to Bridge Creek CG, plenty of bare dry rock along there. Patches of snow on ledges on Snow Creek Wall, a little bit wet, mostly bare and dry. Castle Rock is bare and dry, we did Sabre and Canary on Sunday. Hard packed snow on the approach trail, a little icy, sport climbers better not try it but alpinists can get up there okay. I walked up Snow Creek trail on Saturday, probably a couple miles beyond Snow Creek Wall, it was consolidated enough I didn't need snowshoes. No excuses boys and girls, cragging season is upon us! [Wazzup]