todd

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

todd,

i grew up there and thought it to be cool. i'm in flagstaff, az. now (been here for about 5 years) but even after all the sunshine and awesome yearround climbing down here i still am going to move back up there in june. i think its a beautiful area...near seattle and vancouver b.c. close to the cascades and next to the ocean ect. ect...

beware winter (unless you ski/snow board)

yeah bham is fun in the sun...

really doesn't rain as much as people like to think...afterall it partially in the rainshadow of the Olympics.

bouldering at Larabee is rad, just donot forget your mota and your crash pad. Perferably many crash pads as the landings are rarely good enough....before you bounce into Bellingham Bay [laf][laf]

Baker I hear is awesome...I myself have not been there skiing but, the ice is nice till march maybe even april.

I agree with trask on the closeness to Canada being a bonus....less than an hour and your on forgein soil shocked.gif" border="0

lots and lots of girls during school year and yes they have gone wild grin.gif" border="0

About the only thing that sucks about Bellingham is the high rent prices during the school year and the fact that it's not Leavenworth...

However, like I hinted before its fun in sun with a great view into the cascades, olympics and all that saltwater....btw there is lots of bars [big Drink][big Drink]

The ham is awesome of you can find work there. Thats a big IF.

But yeah, Bagelry, Casa Que Pasa, Little Cheerful, and even Haggens.

Easy going to Squamish, Chuckanut, Larabee, Mt Erie, Baker, Twin Sisters, Shucksan, Northern Pickets, NOCA and even points South.

If work let me telecommute, I would live there.

I really like living in Bellingham. After graduating from WWU I was super stoked to get a job in my field locally. Many people are not as lucky. I'm not really sure why I like it, there is some actual diversity around here (age, culture, philosophy, etc.) great bar/music scene, amazing scenery, every possible outdoor persuit, a somewhat unique sense of community, I could go on but I think you get the point. Seeing how much of the surrounding area is being chewed up by subdivisions is kind of depressing though. Ya'll should come up and visit. Except Dru, you need to come down. [big Drink][big Drink][Moon]

[ 02-28-2002: Message edited by: avypoodle ]

quote:

Originally posted by avypoodle:
I really like living in Bellingham. After graduating from WWU I was super stoked to get a job in my field locally. Many people are not as lucky. I'm not really sure why I like it, there is some actual diversity around here (age, culture, philosophy, etc.) great bar/music scene, amazing scenery, every possible outdoor persuit, a somewhat unique sense of community, I could go on but I think you get the point. Seeing how mush of the surrounding area is being chewed up by subdivisions is kind of depressing though. Ya'll should come up and visit. Except Dru, you need to come down.
[big Drink][big Drink][Moon]

I never come down... I am HIGH ON LIFE!!! grin.gif" border="0

Ditto on the telecommute option Alex. I went to school up there for 5 years getting a 4 year degree and have many fond memories from that town! I'd be back there in no time but they're back in the 70's as far as salaries go. There are people there with PHD's and Master's making your Latte, or pouring your brew. I guess that's part of what makes it a pretty cool place. Rent was pretty cheap when I left (93) and is probably still comparable. I think I saw some silly article in Outside Magazine about it being one of the best college towns for being near the outdoors or something like that. Overall a real laid-back town with a real nice community feel if you stick around long enough. Good luck with the job search!

quote:

Originally posted by Alex:If work let me telecommute, I would live there.[/QB]

Yep, me too. Lived there while attending WWU. My sister still lives there, never left after college, and I love going up to visit.

There's the Ski to Sea race every May too. Fun-o-rama from Mt Baker to Bellingham Bay.

quote:

Originally posted by trask:
I telecommunicate to my office in Seattle. Living about 1/2 way between B'ham and Seattle and on the water is a sweet deal. I highly recommend working home/office and out of the city if possible. Makes you a warm fuzzy person like me.

like on chuckanut drive? that would be a good name for a route with a #11 hex toss aid move. tongue.gif" border="0

quote:

Originally posted by dyno merchant:
by the way...casa que pasa has the best potato burritos

Actually, having made numerous samples of both (ignoring the biased standard deviation on the Casa side), the potato burrito and Big potato burrito (with beans, rice, and salad) is better from Illegal pete's in...sorry, Boulder. The Casa PB has WAY too much goopy sauce. Although, I do appreciate the dirty, hippy, smelly casa scene more than the... annoying Illegal pete scene. And the casa potatos are fried better.

BELLINGHAM

Lots of good rock climbing no more and no less than 2 hours away (Sqish, Index, Darrington, etc)

Lots of good mountains no more and no less than 2 hours away (N Cascades, Chilliwack, Coast,etc)

Lots of good skiing no more and no less than 2 hours away. (Baker, Washington Pass, etc.)

Lots of rain no less than 2 hours away. Haaah!

Lots of good food no more than 5 minutes away! Yummy!

[ 02-28-2002: Message edited by: dberdinka ]