WTB Alaska Gear

blue_morph

Some of you may have come off a Denali Expedition in the last year or two. I need to buy some of the "Alaska Only" gear. I am looking for used FF Rock and Ice XL or L, a -30 degree bag, and FF down pants. There must be plenty of really quality used stuff out there as most people only go up there once. Send PM. cool.gif

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the tips. I'll look up that place in PDX. I think I have the Coat lined up. I am still looking for a bag but am going to be incredibly patient to get just the right one. Ideal would be a used FF Ptarmigan in a long. Gotta be a long.

Have those of you who have been on McKinley used a GPS up there? Battery issues? Pain to deal with or indispensable? It seems like they would be good for caching, and indispensable in a storm. I am going to get a good altimeter (Brunton Sherpa) that does not have to go under a clothing layer like the Suunto watches so I don't need it for elevation. mushsmile.gif

Yeah, a GPS probably goes in the catagory of luxury items that you really don't have to have, but they sure come in handy when the weather craps out. I logged in waypoints on the way out of basecamp all the way up to 11,000ft camp and marked all the caches too. I was glad to have it on the ski back down the Kahiltna, we hit some ugly weather and there were times when I couldn't see a damn thing and could barely see the sled path

PS- my team put together a pretty decent excel spreadsheet with fuel calculation charts, gear lists, and meal planning sheets...I'd be happy to pass it along to anyone who wants a copy.

• 5 weeks later...