Ice screws for $12.50?

Alex_Mineev

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, if you read the description that REI gives, you'll note that they're prone to pulling out (!) and "not intended for leading". So if you only plan on retreating from ice climbs you can't build a V-thread on, then buy a dozen.

Or maybe they'd be good for running belays on low-angle late-season snow slogs. Either way, they don't seem versatile.

i have 3 or 4... they are good for glacier travel and such like. won't hold a big leader fall on vertical WI but will hold someone jugging out of a crevasse, or rapping off from a spot where you can't get a V thread in like slothrop said. main advantage is they are super light so you dont mind lugging them into the alpine just on the off chance you need them. comprende?

Alex_Mineev said:

Hi, I've never seen such cheap ice screws before.

What's wrong with them? Has anybody tried?

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=47591401&parent_category_rn=4500716

I have some for glacier travel and just in case use only.

You could probably find these on Ebay for half of that price.

These screws have been around forever. They have actually gone up in price. blush.gif They used to be $10.00 per screw. I have a hanful of them as do most guys I climb with. I agree that they are not the best leader screw, but I regulalry use them at belays, and will protect a lead on easier ice. With a Screamer, I feel comfortable with them. cool.gif

REI says to tilt them uphill.

This should be done with all screws. wazzup.gif

I have seen tests with these screws and they actually rate fairly good, not great, but not bad. thumbs_up.gif

Light and cheap, but I wouldn't use them as the primary screw on a lead rack for steep WI.

bigdrink.gif

I wouldn't trust these screws on a steep water ice pitch, plus you'd never get one in...they take tons of energy to place.

However they do have some good uses. Emergency "leaver" screws if you need to bail. Light wiegth screws to beef up an anchor system. Also, lots of climbers in Nepal and stuff use them to fix lines for seige style climbing. Usually those ropes are fixed early in the season and left behind for later parties on standard routes. They are super light, so if you need lots of them at a high altitude it's a good way to go...you don't want to fall up there anyway.

Lambone said:

I wouldn't trust these screws on a steep water ice pitch, plus you'd never get one in...they take tons of energy to place.

However they do have some good uses. Emergency "leaver" screws if you need to bail. Light wiegth screws to beef up an anchor system. Also, lots of climbers in Nepal and stuff use them to fix lines for seige style climbing. Usually those ropes are fixed early in the season and left behind for later parties on standard routes. They are super light, so if you need lots of them at a high altitude it's a good way to go...you don't want to fall up there anyway.

Lamebone if they take"tons of energy" to place you aint doing it right. With the small threads they sink right in quickly, as a matter of fact.

In fact with the round clip in hole in the hanger they can even be spun in with one finger almost like an express screw! thumbs_up.gif

I agree with dru that they are not that much harder, if at all, than a standard BD screw. thumbs_up.gif

I also believe that they pull more easily due to the smaller size of the threads. blush.gif

Placing Titian screws at +10 degrees while rappelling minimizes the chances of the screw ''backing out'' which would otherwise be more likely because of the small threads and diameter
Edited by Rodchester

Go weigh an Irbis titanium screw and then a BD Express 17 cm, which is the closest equivalent. The Ti weighs almost exactly half what the BD weighs. That's why people take them.

Yes, they place easily in glacial ice, but they are harder to place in water ice.

The small threads are the reason why I place them 90 degrees to the slope, whereas the Express should be tilted at 15 degrees down from the perpendicular. The smaller threads mean also they melt out faster.

So they have their place as long as one knows their limitations.

catbirdseat said:

Go weigh an Irbis titanium screw and then a BD Express 17 cm, which is the closest equivalent. The Ti weighs almost exactly half what the BD weighs. That's why people take them.

Yes, they place easily in glacial ice, but they are harder to place in water ice.

The small threads are the reason why I place them 90 degrees to the slope, whereas the Express should be tilted at 15 degrees down from the perpendicular. The smaller threads mean also they melt out faster.

So they have their place as long as one knows their limitations.

They are perfect as tent stakes in hard ice! What would you rather have: two screws that'll rip right out, or one screw that will save your ass?

Dru said:

Lambone said:

Lamebone if they take"tons of energy" to place you aint doing it right. With the small threads they sink right in quickly, as a matter of fact.

In fact with the round clip in hole in the hanger they can even be spun in with one finger almost like an express screw! thumbs_up.gif

Ok, so maybe I'm just spoiled with Express screws... snaf.gif

I just have a hard time getting them started. I've placed two and equalized them at the crux of a Syncronicity and I was damn pissed that it was all I had left...which is what I get for letting Notgotnomoney bringing the rack... the_finger.gif

Don't say they won't hold a leader fall, I've seen them do it, on professor falls up in the great white north, 10ft fall (20 altogether) bent the screw into a big C, but the guy leading was glad it held. No I do not lead with them, I use them like everyone else. But they can work, the ones I have are at least 8 yrs old.