alpine bouldering-good or bad?

dyno_merchant

Originally posted by dyno merchant:[QB] basically, TEXAS SUCKS AS A STATE and if Hueco were in New Mexico or Arizona (or any other state)you wouldn't have seen any of those restrictions. Texas is all about restricting people from experiencing the environment.

And to think Texas' last governor runs the whole country now... mad.gif" border="0confused.gif" border="0frown.gif" border="0

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by dyno merchant:

when i went there i felt really unconfortable about bouldering, mostly because of the signs about staying on the main trail and the fact that the environment is so fragile. do you think that people should be bouldering there at all?

the good thing about the cycle is it gives the plants an opportunity to regrow. frankly on the coast i have seen areas scubbed to bare rock and totally regrow in 5 years. skaha is drier, different story, but some of those cracks have regrown to unclimbability in 10 years... bigger problem is base areas like Fern Gully and Grassy Glades now known as Dust Bowl...

quote:

Originally posted by Dru:
how long does it take to hike in? cause i really cant see that pad people are actually gonna hike in an hour or two to boulder carrying all that foam. i wont walk more than 15 minutes to boulder, but i will boulder in basecamp while alpine climbing as long as im falling on my partners' thermarests and not my own one.

There are people hiking into the basin to the north of Ingalls Pass (approx 4 miles) for the sole purpose of bouldering. It does happen.

i used to live there,the reality sickens me....it's the @#$%$%^ magazines and the mag sluts and that lame ass codaratan i'm sooo cool i don't even know you attitude they developed an entire industry with in boulder...once the cool world discovered that a few local drunks were getting something they weren't, and cranking vhard on pot and sheaf they just couldn't stay home....so they came they saw and they still couldn't conquer the lord of sprays favorites....now the masses of shit heads who can't tie a knot are their to stay...

there are so many insignificant piles of boulders in this state why would anyone go all the way to rmnp to simply roll around on a rocky mountain humping pad and touch boys from behind...get a grip, bouldering is what you do when you can't go real climbing....

think globally climb locally

oh erik,i mentioned that so:

1. you wouldnt ask, "how the hell do you know they didnt make a big deal of it?"

2. i didnt want you to think i was implying that they are responsible for the overcrowding of areas

and i dont mention names because my friends have no idea that this site exists and probably dont want there names sprayed all over it - if you really care about specifics feel free to email me. and thanks for the vote - it helps to know that you think im cool.

quote:

Originally posted by DM:
I am a boulderer and the only reason it sounds like I'm railing on boulderers is because I try to stay realistic about the impacts we have on our environment.

quote:

Originally posted by erik:
is this an oxymoronic statement???
tongue.gif" border="0tongue.gif" border="0[Wazzup][big Drink]cool.gif" border="0

There is absolutely nothing oxymoronic about this...

quote:

All the bouldering is in a very fragile alpine environment where there are signs everywhere telling you to stay on the main trail. It seems that the boulderers didn't think that the signs applied to them because there are rough climber trails weaving throughout the boulders and the landing zones have been beaten down complete with cutting down small limbs and bushes that are in the way.

I think DM has hit on something applicable to nearly all access issues. I think that early in climbing, climbers justified their "trespassing" (I use quotes to imply trespassing in the broad sense) with the the ideas that

1. There aren't very many of us so our violations will have a relatively small impact.

2. Since there are not very many of us, we probably don't occupy very much of the public's conception of land users, and thus the people that put up these signs must be targeting someone else. They don't even really think about us much so they probably didn't direct these regulations at us.

In general, these views probably were somewhat true and violations of the regulations in place had minimal effect due to the small number of climbers.

Now it's a different story. There are whole lot more climbers and they're definately at the front of some land managers thoughts. But the mentality of "the rules don't apply to us" still prevades. So climbers still ignore "stay on trail" signs, drive around gates, etc.

quote:

Originally posted by todd:
dynomerchant,"should people be bouldering there at all?" i guess i really dont see why not. i dont really like their presence - there is a lot of attitude and those damn crashpads are annoying when passing them coming down the trail from a climb. they are often rude to the tourists as well, acting as if the tourists are some sort of lower species that they just cant acknowledge, but making sure that the tourists know that they are "climbers". most wise climbers are outwardly nice to tourists, if for no other reason then to have the public on our side.

i don't really care if their bouldering there either if they weren't tromping around off trail in fragile areas! I don't understand why it would seem o.k. for boulderers there to go off trail when it is posted that your not suposed to!

it also sucks that they have been rude! i've been at bouldering, sport and trad areas where climbers are rude to passer bys and i dont understand why! i agree with you that we should be nice to everyone who comes across our path. it helps all climbers.

maybe those climbers up at RMNP who are tromping around on fragile landscapes and acting stuck up should get a big fat rumpola!

long live bham climbing

quote:

Originally posted by Szyjakowski:
I agree with cappellini...BOULDERING IS WHAT YOU DO WHEN YOU CANT GO "REAL CLIMBIN"and why in the world would you want to spend all that money driving to some boulderin destination just to climb some little rocksFOOLS Stay home and Drink

are you scared to pull with the big boys? is that why you have to try to diss them?

fuck it! stay home and drink

[big Drink][big Drink][big Drink]

DM,

What I'm getting from all this is that climbing should be allowed anywhere where climbing can be had. What should be "regulated" is the disrespectful climbers -- not that it's possible to do that. But I think what's being suggested is that given how prevalent climbing is today, an ethic of respect and responsibility that has been lost on some circles needs to be re-preached. If not for the good of the planet, then at least to help ensure that we still have places to climb in a few years. Hopefully through discussions such as this people will be aware of what the consequences of abuse of the climbing areas will be. But it's possible that the perps will never learn, certain climbing areas will fall victim to severe regulation, climbing's popularity will drop off, and all that will be left are the die-hards. And thus we come full circle. Just a thought.

quote:

no body seems to mind if bouldering happens in the mountain alpine meadows!?! sounds good! I guess it's open season on pristine mountain settings. Bring on the pads! Oh wait...I'd have to hike with my pad for and hour...never mind. I'll just go to larrabee and drink beer

this aint colorado, i see lots and lots of alpine meadows and few to no boulderers. and in enchantments, for instance, most boulders are sitting on rock, not on colorado rocky mountain type big flat meadows. nothing much to trash there but the odd larch and the 'pee wino' goats will probably spot you if you fall off so you dont need a pad...

rolleyes.gif" border="0

dru makes a good point. it all depends on the landing surface and surrounding areas.

sure, if your new boulder problem/area is gonna result in the trampling of fragile alpine meadows that will take hundreds of years to recover, maybe you should just boulder somewhere else.

however, it the landings/area are all gravel/dirt/rocks, fucking go for it. just pack yer shit out and keep it clean.

peace out.

quote:

Originally posted by offwidthclimber:
dru makes a good point. it all depends on the landing surface and surrounding areas.

sure, if your new boulder problem/area is gonna result in the trampling of fragile alpine meadows that will take hundreds of years to recover, maybe you should just boulder somewhere else.

however, it the landings/area are all gravel/dirt/rocks, fucking go for it. just pack yer shit out and keep it clean.

peace out.

i agree! You guys are on it!

b'ham posse forever

I agree w/ OW and Dru here. Assess: Can the environment handle the abuse of more users making trails, cleaning rock, squashing brush, and trundling ankle-breakers around a boulder? I remember an article in one of the mags about abouldering area back east where the local climbing ranger, as part of hie M.S., actually performed a biological assessment of the plants and fungus growing on the tops of the boulders, and found it to consist of a rare assemblage of species. Because of this, in order to maintain access to the area, a policy was passed that no cleaning of boulder tops was to occur, so all problems would end w/out top-outs. OK, so this is an extreme example, but may be applivcable to the alpine/wet environments out here - In our pursuite of hte Last Great Problem, are we harming someting less tangible?

Also, I've always believed that not every chunk of rock needs a problem, or route, or whatever.

On the other hand, w/ the teeming crowds, it is often found that a few more minutes of approach or remoteness drop the hoards to nil. I've spent days climbing in relative solitude w/ a partner because we walked that extra 15 minutes or made that exposed scramble - So there will always be that urge to go around the next bend. As DM pointed out, it is only when the hoards catch up that it can become a significant problem/impact.

quote:

are you scared to pull with the big boys? is that why you have to try to diss them?

fuck it! stay home and drink

[big Drink][big Drink][big Drink]

Beyotch, Im not saying bouldering is bad for what its worth...all I am saying is bouldering is overrated bullsheit....who cares how hard you can crank...I love to crimp don't get me wrong...I guess what I should have said is why give all the publicity to those crimpy one, two, ten move wonders when people also climb "REAL LARGE GIGANTIC ROCKs" all the time..need I really say more [big Drink][big Drink][big Drink][big Drink][big Drink] BTW...i am going bouldering at larabee tomorrow b/c its convient, warm, next to the salt water, girls flaunt there large breasts in the warm sun, sandstone rock over starfish and barnicles are rad...and I cant go REAL ROCK CLIMBING

[ 02-28-2002: Message edited by: Szyjakowski ]

dynomerchant,

"should people be bouldering there at all?" i guess i really dont see why not. i dont really like their presence - there is a lot of attitude and those damn crashpads are annoying when passing them coming down the trail from a climb. they are often rude to the tourists as well, acting as if the tourists are some sort of lower species that they just cant acknowledge, but making sure that the tourists know that they are "climbers". most wise climbers are outwardly nice to tourists, if for no other reason then to have the public on our side. if the non-climbing public starts to think of these too-cool boulderers as climbers, then we climbers might have more access problems in the future. those tourists can include landowners and people involved in local politics and i think some of the younger bouldering crowd needs to start having a little more respect for them, and not ignore their friendly "hellos" and then knock them with their crashpads without so much as a look back or a "sorry". not all young boulderers are skate-punk-type assholes, but a lot are. but overall, i guess they have as much right to be there as i do. and the rise in popularity of bouldering keeps the routes less crowded...

quote:

I love to crimp don't get me wrong...I guess what I should have said is why give all the publicity to those crimpy one, two, ten move wonders

dude, get with it. crimps are out. it's all about the slopers! tongue.gif" border="0

and sorry to burst your bubble, but bouldering IS real climbing, just like aid, ice, trad, mixed and sport. just because it's not your favorite discipline doesn't mean it's not REAL climbing. hate the hype all you want, but take it away and bouldering still equates to people getting on the rocks and having fun.

climb on.

quote:

BTW...i am going bouldering at larabee tomorrow b/c its convient, warm, next to the salt water, girls flaunt there large breasts in the warm sun, sandstone rock over starfish and barnicles are rad...and I cant go REAL ROCK CLIMBING

[ 02-28-2002: Message edited by: Szyjakowski ]

if your day at larabee isn't real rock climbing then i don't want to be a real rock climber! i'd much rather be warm, next to salt water, with girls flaunting their large breasts in the warm sun and with sandstone rock over starfish and barnicles!!! that sounds like a perfect climbing day!

• 2 weeks later...

obviously you all just don't get my point...don't worry about it though...rock on climb on and have fun but don't forget your chalkbag cause that's the real reason most of you all do it...to get your chalk habbit fullfilled grin.gif" border="0 ...of course some on you will probably reply "i don't even use chalk dumass..." remember i say 'most of you'

anyways blah blah...all climbing kicks ass and so does this website full of sprayers wink.gif" border="0[big Drink][big Drink][big Drink][big Drink]