WTB-55 or 60cm Chouinard/Black Diamond X-15 axe

wdietsch

A recent act of stupidity during a very unsavory North Cascades bushwack has left me without a long time companion that I wish to replace if possible.

I am looking for one of the original Chouinard or Black Diamond X-15 Axes with the plain carbon fiber/fiberglass over aluminum shafts .... no bonded rubber or BRS as they were known

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahhh, my first ice climbing tool (they suck) has become my favorite alpine tool. I ended up with a mutant 57.5 but sorry not for sale! I never use my 55 hammer but I don't know if you'd want it anyway. Finding picks has become a problem. Maybe someone will find it! I'm sure they are around but maybe nobody puts them up for sale cause they really do use it or think nobody else would want one with all the new fancy shizzle out there.

Actually the original Chiounard X-Tool took a different pick than what is used today. However, the X-15 models took, and still take, the same pick(s) made by BD today. thumbs_up.gif They have the same mounting system as the Shrike, the Prophet, the Rage, the Cobra, etc. thumbs_up.gif

I sold some brand new X-tool picks to Second Ascent a couple of years ago.

Give em a ring... wave.gif

David_Parker said:

I never use my 55 hammer but I don't know if you'd want it anyway. Finding picks has become a problem.

thanks Dave but don't need the hammer, and to clarify I am not looking for an "Zero-X" type tool .... If you are having a problems finding picks, Marmot-Bellevue used to have some and last time I was in Salt Lake you could still buy them at the BD store. Last week an un-used pair (one hammer, one axe w/ 2 classic and 2 recurve picks) of Zero-X tools sold on ebay for $250+.

The X-15's hit the market right about the same time as the Chouinard /BD employee buyout went down and they originally hit the market with "Chouinard" in the casting.

The 55cm with the Alaska pick was my favorite alpine tool setup. I don't know what's hurts more .... my shins from the slide alder or my forehead from continuously beating it against my desk.

As far as someone finding it and getting it back ... well that would be great (not holding breath) .... but it they find it where I think I lost it you'd have to be a pretty stupid fucker for being there in the first place.

thanks for the help gents ... I called Second Ascent (thanks Rodchester) and they do have a couple close to what I am looking for, but they want like $80 ... anyone know how much these guys are willing to bargin? Any secret password to get "the deal"? .... any names I can drop?

thanks ...... wes bigdrink.gif

wdietsch said:

David_Parker said:

I never use my 55 hammer but I don't know if you'd want it anyway. Finding picks has become a problem.

thanks Dave but don't need the hammer, and to clarify I am not looking for an "Zero-X" type tool .... If you are having a problems finding picks, Marmot-Bellevue used to have some and last time I was in Salt Lake you could still buy them at the BD store.

Wes is correct, the "original X-tool" was actually called the Zero.

Wes, I have a set of 55 cm Chouinard X-15s, however I still use them regularly. I havent seen on of the non-BRS tools anywhere in a long time, but I bet if you religiously watch Second Ascent you'll get one eventually. If I ever think about selling, I'll let you know first. As far as buying at Second Ascent, yeah, just bring in some nice stuff and get store credit towards the purchase. 80$ isnt bad for a decent tool.

Alex

I was at Second Ascent last week and saw a 55 or 60 cm X-15 that was in great shape, but it was a BRS. The shaft was in great shape though. thumbs_up.gif

Another thing you could do is pick up a 60 cm Shrike staright shaft. They are on-sale on the BD-website right now for $99.95. It is actually lighter that the X-15s and has a stronger shaft.

Shrike Sale

Just an idea...... wave.gif

• 9 months later...

return from the dead .... still looking, help a brother out

alex ... you ready to sell yet? Come on you know you don't use 'em ... right?

I have checked Second Acsent several times over the last few months ... nothing but BRS

bigdrink.gif

wdietsch said:

David_Parker said:

thanks Dave but don't need the hammer, and to clarify I am not looking for an "Zero-X" type tool .... If you are having a problems finding picks, Marmot-Bellevue used to have some and last time I was in Salt Lake you could still buy them at the BD store.

Wes is correct, the "original X-tool" was actually called the Zero.

Wes, I have a set of 55 cm Chouinard X-15s, however I still use them regularly. I havent seen on of the non-BRS tools anywhere in a long time, but I bet if you religiously watch Second Ascent you'll get one eventually. If I ever think about selling, I'll let you know first. As far as buying at Second Ascent, yeah, just bring in some nice stuff and get store credit towards the purchase. 80$ isnt bad for a decent tool.

Alex

I am looking for one of the original Chouinard or Black Diamond X-15 Axes with the plain carbon fiber/fiberglass over aluminum shafts .... no bonded rubber or BRS as they were known

confused.gif isn't that exactly what you said you wanted?

I THINK my adze is a CF, maybe it's fiberglass. I don't know how to tell the difference. It's a straight shaft and 50cm. Original purple leash.

See attachment for picture.

374928-X15smaller.thumb.jpg.b1b3f6d41c2746653deaefa2a0bfa714.jpg

confused.gif isn't that exactly what you said you wanted?

I THINK my adze is a CF, maybe it's fiberglass. I don't know how to tell the difference. It's a straight shaft and 50cm. Original purple leash.

See attachment for picture.

my bad alpinfox .... I "ASS"umed when you mentioned CF that you ment CFBP ..... check your PM's

There's not a chance in hell I will ever try our shortcut again.

"OUR shortcut" !!!! may I remind you that my suggestion had nothing to do with this "shortcut" .... I take absolutly no ownership for the decision. Let's blame it on TG. Thank god for the Rasta bivi kit. wink.gifbigdrink.gif