Has CC.com changed the way you do things?

catbirdseat

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

catbirdseat said:

So what everyone seems to be saying is that CC.com has had almost no influence on how they climb. It has only served as an outlet for spray. Why don't we just call it CascadeSprayers.com?

why do you think changing how you climb is what cc.com is all about? you didn't ask if it changed who you climbed with or where you climbed.... wave.gif

Dru said:

wearing shorts over poly is like wandering around the dihedrals at smith with a rack of hexes and pitons. wave.gif

Actually, I've always wanted to do this, but stepping back even further, wearing wool knickers and a pair of robbins blue boots, with a rack of pins and a goldline rope, capped off with a natty white cap like Robbins wore back in the day. If it went off well, you could even take the performance art piece on the road, bill it as "The Return of the Wack and Dangle Merchants."

catbirdseat said:

WHO and WHERE are both good topics, but are not THIS topic.

but, you say in your post above, that if cc.com hasn't changed HOW, then its all just spray and good for nothing. confused.gif i thought the main point of this site was finding partners and condition/trip reports*, which has nothing to do with how, sow how can you make that claim

*oh and spraying yellaf.gif

I'm always amazed at the questions that get asked on this website about HOW to climb, HOW to place gear, HOW to build anchors, and HOW to fall. If you're not learnig this shit on the rock and from your buddies at the base of the crags, you're learning it from the wrong place. I ALWAYS spend time talking about How-to's with my friends and the new partners that I meet.

Case in point. How many people on this website now believe that a GriGri cannot give a dynamic belay as compared to an ATC? Fuck. yellaf.gif

I was not a climber prior to cc.com.

Trundling is acceptable.

It has changed the way I look at the mountains and how much work I get done in the course of a day at the office (not that I'm complaining thumbs_up.gif). And that climbing is supposed to be fun, not suffering all the time.

I also learned that if I have a good cry before my partners show up, it's less scary for them later on. Some people think it's weird to cry and hug at each belay. rolleyes.gif

The web site has not

changed how I climb at all. As others have mentioned, the biggest impact on how I climb this year was teaming up with new partners and learning alot of new things and areas from them

The website has

introduced me to a HUGE number of people that I would have otherwise not met

made me notice a few routes (Back of Beyond Buttress, Clean Break, and so on) that I otherwise probably would not have found out about for a few more years...

catbirdseat said:

For example, as a result of my readings on CC.com I almost always use the EDK instead of the double fisherman's knot for joining two ropes for rappel.

Yo C.B.S. the EDK is now in Freedom of the Hills (was just browsing a bookstore), looks like you need to download again! hahaha.gif

Also there is a diagram of shorts over polypro. I'm dead serious.

One time in Boy Scouts, we took tent poles and smoked the smoke off of the top of a campfire. It tasted like shit, but at least we were smoking. Once, we even took the label off of a soup can, and rolled up some tea from a tea bag, and smoked it. We should have just stolen some cigarettes. I'm just glad I never got molested.

Necronomicon said:

One time in Boy Scouts, we took tent poles and smoked the smoke off of the top of a campfire. It tasted like shit, but at least we were smoking. Once, we even took the label off of a soup can, and rolled up some tea from a tea bag, and smoked it. We should have just stolen some cigarettes. I'm just glad I never got molested.

pole smoker HCL.gifshocked.gif

iain said:

catbirdseat said:

For example, as a result of my readings on CC.com I almost always use the EDK instead of the double fisherman's knot for joining two ropes for rappel.

Yo C.B.S. the EDK is now in Freedom of the Hills (was just browsing a bookstore), looks like you need to download again! hahaha.gif

Also there is a diagram of shorts over polypro. I'm dead serious.

I haven't looked at FOTH7. Without a diagram, some people might get it wrong and put the shorts on underneath the polypro. cantfocus.gif

Dru said:

Necronomicon said:

pole smoker HCL.gifshocked.gif

ZING!!